You are too slow!

D

Deleted member 23270

Slow play is fine if you let people through.
If you don't it's discourteous to others.
There is no law against it but it's like dropping litter or shouting on the course, just bad manners.
I disagree, continuous calling through causes bunching up and knock on delays.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Slow play is fine if you let people through.
If you don't it's discourteous to others.
There is no law against it but it's like dropping litter or shouting on the course, just bad manners.
I may be wrong but don't pro players get warnings if they take too long or fall too far behind ?

D

Deleted member 15344

Why ? Surely they should be at the front of the field, then no one wouldnt be able to keep up. Everyone would be happy about that.
Uh ?‍♂️ If they can’t keep up with play and hold up people behind them then when they go to the back of the field then they won’t be holding up anyone ?‍♂️

Have you managed to read the R&A Manual yet and the players responsibility?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If I was playing a round and it's was going to take 4hrs I'd be walking off at 13. A 3 ball should get round in 3.15-3.20. I've been round in 85 mins by myself and 2 hrs as a 2 ball.
To that I'd simply say that there is no point at all in setting what, for most at my place, will seem to be completely unrealistic demands on the pace of play. We have set a medal three ball pace of play of 4 hrs and same pace for a casual four ball. Obviously the intention is that we play within that. And that is fine - I can zoom round a course pretty much as fast as the fastest, but I don't want to - even when by myself.

My 2 ball match this evening took just under 3hrs 30mins. But we chose to play at that pace and take our time. It was a lovely evening and there was no need to rush things as we weren't being pushed and didn't have anyone ahead of us.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It's a golf random irritation but needs saying in this thread

On every slow play thread:
Why do times always get quoted without saying the distance? It kinda makes the time irrelevant

We don't know if the "we usually take 3.45" (insert your time) is a decent pace, playing quite fast... or maybe it's even slow!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I doubt the guy adds nearly an extra hour to a round. You’re talking of losing at least 4 holes on the group in front. There’d be some serious post-mortums after every round if that were the case.

A method I found worked well was to say if you don’t get a move on I’m waving the group behind through. If that doesn’t work , tell him that if he doesn’t speed up he needs to find someone else to play with.

Mandofred

Visit site
I've always found it works decently if I just start making little comments like "We need to get moving, we are falling back from the group in front". Then just keep mumbling about "we need to move a little faster". Then if necessary start doing things like putting out first and then heading over to the next tee to get a shot off while "the slow guy" is holding everybody up. If that upsets the slow guy, it sets things up for a conversation about how slow he is.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I doubt the guy adds nearly an extra hour to a round. You’re talking of losing at least 4 holes on the group in front. There’d be some serious post-mortums after every round if that were the case.

A method I found worked well was to say if you don’t get a move on I’m waving the group behind through. If that doesn’t work , tell him that if he doesn’t speed up he needs to find someone else to play with.
We do indeed have a guy at our place who can cost a grup that much, he is oblivious to his pace of play, actually moans at some others being slow, yet his group is consistently 2-4 holes behind every week, despite being in different groups every week

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Reading some of the comments on here my decision to give up golf at the age of 70 [mainly] due to slow play seem vindicated.
In my day the guy would be told to get a move on or play with someone else.
For me 3.5 hours was a pretty slow round.

It is usually around 3.5 hours at my place. But, much of that depends on the course. PGA at Gleneagles is one example, played a few times, it is more like a 4.5 hour course!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
3 hours 2 ball, 3 and a half 3 ball, 4 hours 4 ball, any longer than that is too long for me personally
My two ball match yesterday took just under 3hrs 30mns and that was 100% down to our own choice as there was no one ahead of us and no one behind us.

One reason was that I took longer than I usually do over every putt. I am trying to take more care over my putting as I need to improve it as I tend to rush it. I made my opponent aware of what I was doing as I was aware I was taking a bit of time and he was ok for me to make that little bit more care, indeed according to my opponent my putting was 'red hot'.

Plus of course it being a match we did not play ready golf and took time to ensure we got correct order on putting green. These things take time, and where you can take that time without adversely affecting those with you or those behind then, I don't think you should feel guilty taking it. There are limits of course.

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
Just tell him - we need to get a wiggle on. I think we’re holding the guys up behind us.

it’s not about playing fast - no one goes out for a race. It’s about just not dawdling and being ready. 3 minutes searching - group behind should be let through whilst you’re doing that.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
We had a middle age bloke approach me and my playing partner and asked if he could join us. He was told he was slow and because of our reputation wanted to see the difference. We play at the first tee time of the day and we take 2.20. Admittedly we do play very fast (two balls in the air at the same time is common). After the round he said it didn't feel fast at all and the overwhelming difference to him was how fast we play our shots after each other.

Just be ready to play your shot when it's your turn. It makes my piss boil when golfers walk from one person's ball to another like a ? with her ducklings

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you are unable to keep up with the pace of play then imo you should be at the back of the field

I’d love to see know slow play offenders get tee time restrictions, unfortunately in this day and age it would be deemed discriminative to do so despite it being just plain common sense.

Alternatively slow players if eating early slots should have to go off 10th (example) and merge their back 9 (effective the front) with what ever tee traffic is there when they arrive at the first.