UFC 217 (spoilers - just so the whingers are aware)

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Wow! What a card. It's been claimed the UFC having such a stranglehold on MMA is a bad thing. I can see how a monopoly can be a negative. However, the UFC continuously have the best fighting the best and often put on great cards. Makes for great viewing. This one was exceptional though, even for them.

GSP is back and what a performance. Bisping was too wary of the takedown to be as offensive as he usually is. He still enjoyed some success against his smaller opponent. However, GSP showed size isn't everything. Clinical finish. That said I do think he is too small for middleweight though. He actually looked like he was gassing at the start of the second due to the extra beef. If he can take the weight off and still be strong, a fight with Woodley would be an exciting prospect.

Garbrandt Dillashaw lived up to the bad blood and the build up from TUF. I really like both fighters, so was just happy it delivered as a spectacle. I think this has legs to turn into an ongoing rivalry. I think the result would be a lottery each time they fought.

Paolo Costa looked good again. He could be a force in the middleweight division. Be interesting to see if he has a tank if took to the 3rd. Namajunos was perhaps the biggest upset, especially the manner she dealt with JJ.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
What a card, one of the best in recent memory. Was so wrong RE: GSP-Bisping. GSP looked incredible, should never have doubted the man. Dominated the striking, took Mike down pretty easily and finished him convincingly. Superb performance - excited for GSP-Whittaker. Mike'll probably fight Yoel, get rekt and retire.

TJ-Cody might be one of the best title fights I've seen for a long time. Is TJ ever in a dull fight? Back and forth slugfest, comeback KO win for TJ, couldn't have been a better result really. TAM are stuck in this high-school bro club, scared of evolution, hated on TJ for wanting to improve as a martial artist. So glad he shut them down by knocking out Cody. Would happily watch a re-match, or failing that a TJ-Cruz re-match if Dominick's feet are up to fighting right now.

Sucks for Joanna, was really expecting her to run through Rose but fair play to her, she unleashed a hell of a left-hook that JJ just didn't see coming. Bet the UFC are pissed - Joanna was set to become a big star, she gets great reactions everytime she fights. Wonder what's next. Should be Rose-Andrade or Karolina really but can see JJ getting a re-match and Andrade-Karolina fighting out for the next shot. Such an exciting division!

Darren Till is campaigning for a fight against Wonderboy which is definitely a fight I would love to watch - hopefully at the Echo Arena in Liverpool.

Man I'm loving the UFC right now, every division is absolutely stacked with talent.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Possibly the best card for a long time, skipped it all after sky plusing it to the GSP fight. Thought Bisping was growing into the match after being hesitant for 2 rounds but then GSP showed his class.

Costa looked brutal, be interesting to see how he does in the division but I can see him moving up through the ranks quickly.

I like Johanna but Rose was quality and brilliantly calm in the run up, let Johanna do the talking and got on with it and made her tap which is rare. Liked how humble she was after too.

Don't think I'd want to see a Wonderboy and Woodley fight again, be good to see someone else have a pop at Woodley.

Really like DC and Rogan on commentary too, talk so much sense and explain things really well from a fighters point of view.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
fair play to GSP but he only got away with being that big because Bisping is so one paced, not a chance he fights at that weight against the other top guys in the division (Whittaker would destroy him), there again not sure he would do much better against Woodley either

cant see how theres not a rematch between TJ and Cody with Cruz fighting the winner

Wonderboy an odd one, seems to have too much for everyone else he fights but Woodleys patient gameplan and one hit power been too much for him when theyve met, expect he has to wait for Woodley to lose before he gets another title shot, albeit theres not too many putting their hand up in that division (opens the door for GSP?)

Not sure if any of you guys watched the prelims but a couple of stunning knock outs, especially the OSP v Andersen fight. Vick v Duffy was a decent match up too

Edit: fully agree re the comms, think DC is a great addition