so, the match play final outcome,.........

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Number of things spring to mind. If it had been me I'd have insisted on going out separately from the medal field preferably before or otherwise after. If there had been any confusion, I'd have played the hole as was and referred it to the committee. Unless he specifically asked you to replay the shot and not just mumbled something irrelvant I think you would have been fine.

Tough break and I don't think your opponent will have won many friends. I ALWAYS have a copy of the rules in my bag. Chin up and take solace in getting there and getting something (place money I presume) for coming 2nd

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The whole episode stinks of so many things - playing a 4, the group behind right up your backside and worse of all, losing to a tw@t etc etc. I think most has been said OS - I had someone take my ball on the last once - didnt see it at the time but heard later they were practising and it turned up the their practice bag - to lose a match 1 down. I have also stopped someone putting to win a match on the final hole from the wrong spot, as they didnt move their marker back. The then corrected their error and made the putt to win one up. These things happen.

A moral victory for you OS I say!

What hasnt been said, and I guess it got to you, and what gets to me on the course is playing with really slow people that dont mind holding the course up. The thing is that I feel pressured and I have to rush, often hitting bad shots in the process.

Best Wishes

Matt

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's our own responsibility to have a handle on the rules, if not then tough tit, I'm affraid. :D

which is 100% bang on.

now the scary thing is how many matches and games are decided day in day out based on poor knowledge of the rule.

Most people believe golf is about hitting a ball around a field, how many actually sit down and study the rules instead of hitting the range.

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Im sure when I was playing around on the iphone app for R&A it was distance v's stroke, and I discussed that and it was mutually agreed.

Hmm, just fired up the app on my iPod Touch. Under the Guide section there is a bit entitle "Tee Shot". 3rd paragraph says " If you play your tee shot from outside this area (meaning the tee box), in match play there is no penalty.

What 1 more minute of looking could have got you eh...

Still, a rule book is in the bag and this rule is ingrained on you for ever more. And you have shown yourself to be a true gentlemen in the way you have taken this setback!

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I must say I'm still stunned that the club captain didn't know the rules! He would have been someone I would assume to be an authority on such matters in the club, I may be wrong though?

Our current captain plays mainly socially and is off 15, next years is off 20 and last year was off of 14. None of them would be an officianado on the rules, why would they??

Unless they were put in a position that required that level of rules knowledge. It's our own responsibility to have a handle on the rules, if not then tough tit, I'm affraid. :D

Fair enough, I'm a bit uninitiated with the goings on of committee's, captains etc that's why it was my assumption.

Are captain's involved in all of the committee's at the club or is it more of an honorary type position?

I agree it's up to everyone to know themselves, I don't know the rules inside out, just happened to know this one!!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The whole episode stinks of so many things - playing a 4, the group behind right up your backside and worse of all, losing to a tw@t etc etc. I think most has been said OS - I had someone take my ball on the last once - didnt see it at the time but heard later they were practising and it turned up the their practice bag - to lose a match 1 down. I have also stopped someone putting to win a match on the final hole from the wrong spot, as they didnt move their marker back. The then corrected their error and made the putt to win one up. These things happen.

A moral victory for you OS I say!

What hasnt been said, and I guess it got to you, and what gets to me on the course is playing with really slow people that dont mind holding the course up. The thing is that I feel pressured and I have to rush, often hitting bad shots in the process.

Best Wishes

Matt

Matty with regards to being put in with a 4, that was our choice, we both agreed it was nice to have someone impartial to both of us in the group as a ref so to speak. Personally i would have liked it to have been us two and the captain, but it didnt pan out that way.

I do agree with the slow player, without wanting to make enemies ive been in he's group 3 times now and all 3 times its been painfully slow. You could argue that as a 6 capper he holds the right to be as slow as he wishes as he never has to look for a ball, but he's pre shot routine must be atleast 90seconds to 2 mins long, let alone him never being ready to fire when its he's call. yes he did shoot a gross 71 yesturday (+3) but at that pace it just left the other 3 constantly chasing time that he was losing us. whether he was slower than us with the ammount of extra shots we played in another thing.

robbest3offthetee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
OS,Bad luck mate,Not a way to lose after all the good work to get to the Final,We have a slooow player like yours a our club and nobody wants to play with him because of this,it does affect your game as you are constantly looking behind you,Take it as a lesson learned,as you say it will never happen again(losing this way),not getting to the Final LOL...

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I feel for you, and I have to admit, I would'nt have been sure of the rule myself had it happened to me.

I think there's a case for replaying the whole thing to be honest.......he either thought it was a penalty, and 3 off the tee, or at least intimated that ??

As a result, he claimed the match...and shouldnt have, your 5 beats his 6.

Having said that, it would create a stink to ask for a replay, so just put it down to experience perhaps.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As a result, he claimed the match...and shouldnt have, your 5 beats his 6.

Having said that, it would create a stink to ask for a replay, so just put it down to experience perhaps.

This is the problem macster,

A) my 5 beat he's 6 meaning we were actually all square going down 18.

B) i never actually played 18 as the match was over and was glad of just a walk.

C) technically, Is the match actually over

D) like you said replaying the match is going to stink!

goldenbare

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As has been said its totally out of order to have to play a match play game with 2 others tagging along.
I played in our final last year, we were the first 2 out in the front of the Saturday comp, which is as it should be. They were in 3s so no pressure and we were soon well away.
But there were 3 of us going around the course in our group. We had a referee marker, :eek: non playing and ready to make any judgements if an impartial one was needed, fortunately it wasn't.
Perhaps my out of touch muni got something right for a change ;)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well I emailed our comps manager advising of the incorrect ruling and after a telephone discussion and he is going to advise my opponent that the match wasn't actually won on 17 and see if he would like to replay 17 & 18 ( not sure why 17 needs to be replayed ), just replay 18, or would he rather the match result stand, we agreed that if the opponent classes the match as won then we will leave the result as is.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well I emailed our comps manager advising of the incorrect ruling and after a telephone discussion and he is going to advise my opponent that the match wasn't actually won on 17 and see if he would like to replay 17 & 18 ( not sure why 17 needs to be replayed ), just replay 18, or would he rather the match result stand, we agreed that if the opponent classes the match as won then we will leave the result as is.

You never know but a guy that was happy thinking he was winning the match by deliberately letting you get what he thought was a 2 stroke penalty will probably have no qualms about keeping the result as it is.

Well done again for getting that far though OS, you should still be pleased with yourself.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Also meant to say that it wouldn't be unreasonable of him to want to play 17 again though, as he may have played differently if you were 1 off the tee.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Region, to be honest if he wants the results to stand then I have no option but to respect he's decision, however for Obvious reasons I hope the sportsman in him wishes it to be be replayed so it's clear cut. From a personal opinion I'm happy to replay 17+18 at 1 down or 18 at all square. I'm just gutted fir the club as either way this years singles will always have a question mark over it.

The sportsman in me is very tempted in me to say let the result stand and be the better man and learn from the mistakes of not carrying a rule book.

Gillespie16

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Unlucky Oddsocks, I wound of told my oppentant before he toke his shot, but hay thats just us, other players are different. But hopefully you will get him back if you play him again. Better Luck Next Time!!!

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Your comp organiser is single handedly turning it into a farce OS. After his contribution to the events on the day he is now prolonging the agony by throwing this open to debate.

He alone, or with the rest of thecomp commitee (if any) should make the decision and inform you and the other guy of their decision and that decision is then final.

To be honest, I think I'd just let it go. If it's replayed and you win, will it be worth it? I think it's a lose/ lose situation.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That's sort of my opinion mate, if I dont replay it's a tainted victory for him, if I do and win it's because I had two go's etc . No win as you say