Is this unusual?

D-S

Visit site
There was someone recently nearby at Tracy Park, sadly just announced that it is closing next month, who had a ridiculous amount of holes in one in a season - 10 or so?. I have no issue at all with 7 h in 1 but 7 albatrosses? I don’t think I’ve ever heard of anyone with even 2, however there must have been but 7, no,

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
We have a county player who had two holes in one on par 4's before he made on one a par . While I think it unlikely anyone has had 7 of each, I certainly don't think it impossible. A few of the Holes in One could also have been Albatrosses.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would have thought the holes in is not necessarily unusual but an albatross is a very rare bird indeed.

I have watched pro golf on the box for decades not sure I have seen that many by all pros put together.

Visit site
I know 2 players who have 11+ holes in one, both plus handicappers. I have also witnessed 2 holes in one from a plus handicap lady - she has 7 or 8 in total.

But I’ve never witnessed an albratross - and I’m going to call lies on having 7 of them!!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I’ve had an albatross - hole in one on a par 4. And I had a shot so a net 0. Oh yes…👍

Suppose I should mention that it was on our 17th while major works were being done on the hole. The tee was a temporary tee; the green was a temporary green. They were 49 yds apart. And the ground was frozen. My ball bounced a lot before it went into the hole. I still had to buy the bottle of whisky 🙄😘

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
While unlikely I would say that the odds of anyone having 7 albatrosses throughout the whole of their life are lower than a player having holes in one on three consecutive days on the same hole. This most definitely happened and is part of our counties folk law.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
On fast running Links courses, downhill, downwind, hitting par 5's with a mid to short iron is not that unusual.
I have had one albatross that way and another with a hole in one on a 300 yard par 4.

Seven albatross's has probable been done but would be very rare.
Seven hole in ones slightly easier. [My dad had 5, I had 3]

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
On fast running Links courses, downhill, downwind, hitting par 5's with a mid to short iron is not that unusual.
I have had one albatross that way and another with a hole in one on a 300 yard par 4.

Seven albatross's has probable been done but would be very rare.
Seven hole in ones slightly easier. [My dad had 5, I had 3]
Holes in one on par 3s are not too rare, and can be achieved by anyone who can reach a par 3
Holes in one on par 4s requires more distance, timing and technique so will be much rarer
A 2 on a par 5 will be even rarer still as not only do you need the length off the tee but also the length/direction off the fairway.
As I already said, he's either mixed up or exaggerating

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
While unlikely I would say that the odds of anyone having 7 albatrosses throughout the whole of their life are lower than a player having holes in one on three consecutive days on the same hole. This most definitely happened and is part of our counties folk law.
Bob Taylor.jpg

It was a counties event at Hunstanton and Bob was representing Leicestershire.
Friday was a practice round. Two more aces followed on the next two days.
Bob is also famous for a hole in one on our par 4 ninth hole.

I've met Bob a few times.
First time was 1977 when they organised a county juniors vs county first team. Six county men had to play scratch matchplay against two juniors' betterball. 12 in the junior team.
I was privileged to be drawn against Bob.