Is this unusual?

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Very unusual.
I'd say so. I made my one double-eagle (or albatross as many call them) on the very same hole that I'd previously blown one.

First time: cut the corner with driver, 4-iron, missed 3 foot putt. Yes. three feet, as in well inside of a meter.
Redemption: cut the corner with driver, 7-wood, made eight foot putt.

The successful one was nicer than the first.
First time, I ran on with the 4-iron.
Second time, left a pitch mark half-way to China with the 7-wood. Ball landed vertically like a lawn dart. (Not a windy links course shot.)

This short par 5 is my lifetime best scoring hole, overall, any course, by the way.
Making a bogie here feels like a double or triple. It can ruin my week (and does often enough).

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd say so. I made my one double-eagle (or albatross as many call them) on the very same hole that I'd previously blown one.

First time: cut the corner with driver, 4-iron, missed 3 foot putt. Yes. three feet, as in well inside of a meter.
Redemption: cut the corner with driver, 7-wood, made eight foot putt.

The successful one was nicer than the first.
First time, I ran on with the 4-iron.
Second time, left a pitch mark half-way to China with the 7-wood. Ball landed vertically like a lawn dart. (Not a windy links course shot.)

This short par 5 is my lifetime best scoring hole, overall, any course, by the way.
Making a bogie here feels like a double or triple. It can ruin my week (and does often enough).
That is not a double eagle or albatross. 3 on a par 5 is an eagle - unless rules are that different in America

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
That is not a double eagle or albatross. 3 on a par 5 is an eagle - unless rules are that different in America
You're absolutely right. I was obviously thinking of something else.
Of course those are simply eagles, and I've of course made made more than one.
It's just that those two situations on the same hole were memorable because of particular circumstances.

I've never made a double eagle, and my only aces were on par 3 courses and don't count.
Sorry for my misdirected comments.

sunshine

Visit site
You're absolutely right. I was obviously thinking of something else.
Of course those are simply eagles, and I've of course made made more than one.
It's just that those two situations on the same hole were memorable because of particular circumstances.

I've never made a double eagle, and my only aces were on par 3 courses and don't count.
Sorry for my misdirected comments.
An eagle is 2 under par. So is a double eagle 4 under par?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playing in the Scratch team years ago .
Op said “ you can have that “
I was 20’ away in two on a par five.
He had holed his 5 iron from 197 yds for Albatross.
Only one I have ever seen.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is it Trump ?

I wonder if he means eagles ?

The 7 Hole in ones is believable - I have 7

But 7 albatross’s 🤔 no chance
I’m with you on this one. A quick google shows that there have only been 139 albatrosses on the PGA Tour since 1983. Considering how good those players are and how many collective rounds have been played during that time there is no way one person has had 7 albatrosses of his own.

I do know someone that had an albatross 1 on a downhill 330 yard par 4. In fact, he’s had everything from a 1 to a 10 on that hole 😳

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Seven holes in one is a lot but for a very good player who plays a lot, it's plausible.

Seven albatrosses?? Absolutely no chance. Unless he plays at a course where all the par 5s are 450 yards or something.

We have 2 par 5’s about that length, still no albatross for me though

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I’ve had an albatross - hole in one on a par 4. And I had a shot so a net 0. Oh yes…👍

Suppose I should mention that it was on our 17th while major works were being done on the hole. The tee was a temporary tee; the green was a temporary green. They were 49 yds apart. And the ground was frozen. My ball bounced a lot before it went into the hole. I still had to buy the bottle of whisky 🙄😘
As a junior member at Fereneze GC I had an eagle on the short par 4 5th hole. I lost the hole to another member who had a hole in one.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As a junior member at Fereneze GC I had an eagle on the short par 4 5th hole. I lost the hole to another member who had a hole in one.
May I ask when you were a member of Fereneze…I played Fereneze sometime in early-mid 1970s with a member probably late teens/early 20s who was a dead useful golfer. We played it in a gale. He coped well. I didn’t.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
May I ask when you were a member of Fereneze…I played Fereneze sometime in early-mid 1970s with a member probably late teens/early 20s who was a dead useful golfer. We played it in a gale. He coped well. I didn’t.
I was about 5 years on the waiting list as my dad wasn’t a member. Got in at about 15, so 1980. Left at 18 as fees went through the roof and I was at college.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
yeah no chance of 7 albatrosses for an amateur, unless as other have pointed out, temp tees and greens making a par 5 ridiculously short.

I have had one, the 8th at my old course you can drive it if you cut the corned (downhill) but have only ever done that twice as the ball can bounce anywhere and it is blind so you have no idea where your ball goes.

I'm a big hitter and can reach most par 5s in 2 never been close to an albatross other than the one I have

Swango1980

Visit site
Mate of mine tells me he has had 7 holes in one and 7 albatrosses on par fives (not on the same round!)

I can't even get close to that. Can Any of you match or better that?
Was thinking if this logically makes sense, purely based on probability.

I would have thought, overall, the number of par 5's and number of par 3's a golfer has played are similar over the course of time. In fact, potentially more Par 3's, as I've played a lot of courses Par 72, and many courses less than Par 72, but not too many over Par 72.

But, if being generous and say the player has played the same amount of Par 3's and Par 5's, he is saying he has has 7 Holes in One on Par 3's and the same amount of albatrosses on Par 5's. Par 3's which may range in yardage from 100-220 yards. But, all driveable, mostly from short irons if the player is a big hitter. Yet, a Par 5 is only reachable in 2 IF the drive puts the player in position first. Depending on the length of the Par 5, wind, etc, not all Par 5's will be reachable in 2 anyway, even with a good drive. Unless the player is a monster of a hitter and hasn't played courses with very long Par 5's. When the player does get a chance to hit the green in 2, I would have thought the average yardage to the green would be a lot longer than the average yardage to get to Par 3 greens, and thus being a harder shot. So, it is difficult to see how he has holed out the same number of times when comparing to tee shots on Par 3's and 2nd shots on Par 5's.

In conclusion, I believe your mate is taking rubbish, and definitely get vibes of Jay from the Inbetweeners :ROFLMAO:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've been playing since I was 7 and only had two albatrosses and 2 holes in one. And both of the albatrosses have come in the last 5 years. One at Pitreavie (490 yard par 5 2nd hole) in 2019 and one at Duddingston (500 yard par 5 17th hole) last year.

Bit of a longer gap with holes in one. 1st hole at Aberdour (155 yard par 3) back in 2001 and then 2017 on the 16th at Pitreavie (190 yard par 3).

I'm not saying that 7/7 can't be done, but probability is so low you might as well say it can't.