Is this unusual?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Holes in one on par 3s are not too rare, and can be achieved by anyone who can reach a par 3
Holes in one on par 4s requires more distance, timing and technique so will be much rarer
A 2 on a par 5 will be even rarer still as not only do you need the length off the tee but also the length/direction off the fairway.
As I already said, he's either mixed up or exaggerating
As I said if the conditions are right anything can happen...........I have played with someone who drove onto the approach of a 480 yard hole.
One big lucky drive and a lucky sclaffed chipper shot can do it. [Once, highly unlikely seven times :) ]

Hacked

Visit site
My nephew at age 9 went very close to an ace on a 90 yard par 3 at our local par 3 course on his 1st or 2nd ever round. Hole in 1’s are possible at any standard of golf given that most players can reach the green in one. I’ve had a few tap in 2’s so while I doubt I’ll ever hit one it’s not outside the realms of possibility. In 30 years I’ve been nowhere near any green in 2 on a par 5.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My nephew at age 9 went very close to an ace on a 90 yard par 3 at our local par 3 course on his 1st or 2nd ever round. Hole in 1’s are possible at any standard of golf given that most players can reach the green in one. I’ve had a few tap in 2’s so while I doubt I’ll ever hit one it’s not outside the realms of possibility. In 30 years I’ve been nowhere near any green in 2 on a par 5.
How likely you are to get on a par 5 in two is partly a product of the golf course you play as well as your ability . I am a short hitter and we only have one par 5 on our course , but playing a little downhill and with the prevailing wind, when it's bouncy in the summer even I have been on it in two, though there are also a couple of par 4's on our course that I rarely reach in two.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've reached all of our par 5's in 2 strokes at different times, probably 7 times in total, I'm also leaning towards confusion of what an Albatross is.
But I'd probably expect him to have more than 7 eagles (assuming that you mean he's confusing eagles for albatrosses) if he's a good player with 7 holes in one.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
But I'd probably expect him to have more than 7 eagles (assuming that you mean he's confusing eagles for albatrosses) if he's a good player with 7 holes in one.
I don't get the confusion between albatross and eagle thing. He has 7 aces, so presuming all on par 3s they are eagles so he must know that albatrosses (albatrossi?) are better and he is counting these.

Not that I believe he has 7. Also, why would you count these and remember them?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't get the confusion between albatross and eagle thing. He has 7 aces, so presuming all on par 3s they are eagles so he must know that albatrosses (albatrossi?) are better and he is counting these.

Not that I believe he has 7. Also, why would you count these and remember them?
Yeah, agreed, it's all very odd. Either:
1. He's a Trump wannabe and a bare-faced liar.
2. He's having Tobybarker on.
3. Tobybarker is having us on and this person doesn't exist.

I think these are the only 3 possibilities. 😄 As Billysboots said earlier on, hole-in-ones can vary from say 90 yards to 200+, but an albatross is almost exclusively going to be 180 yards and above, more often over 200 yard shots required. Can't see anyone getting 7 of them.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A quick google advises there have only been 18 in Major history, 139 on the PGA tour. i can't find the figure for the European / DP tour. (albatross) The new Open Champion only has 1, and he can give it a whack 😄

So, yes it would be unusual.

Swango1980

Visit site
Mate of mine tells me he has had 7 holes in one and 7 albatrosses on par fives (not on the same round!)

I can't even get close to that. Can Any of you match or better that?
7 holes in one, potential, albeit a lot.

However, I'd be surprised if any professional golfers have had 7 albatrosses in their life (including social rounds at easier courses). Some of them hit it a long way, and they are the best of the best. So, it is hard to believe your mate has had 7 albatrosses. That being said, in the winter our 530 yard par 5 becomes a 200 yard par 3 on the winter green, with a bucket hole. So, if he is counting scores when he isn't playing a measured course, and any par 5's are like the one at my course in the winter, then it is possible. To be fair, I know a couple of higher handicappers who have had a 3 or 4 on that hole in the winter, and they definitely boast about eagles and birdies.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
In the article I posted earlier it said that Moe Norman had 9 albatrosses in competitions. I don't think that anyone who knows anything about Moe will dispute that figure!

sunshine

Visit site
I’ve had an albatross - hole in one on a par 4. And I had a shot so a net 0. Oh yes…👍

Suppose I should mention that it was on our 17th while major works were being done on the hole. The tee was a temporary tee; the green was a temporary green. They were 49 yds apart. And the ground was frozen. My ball bounced a lot before it went into the hole. I still had to buy the bottle of whisky 🙄😘

A 49 yard par 4? Was this crazy golf?

sunshine

Visit site
I've had an albatross but never a hole in one. It was only a 7 iron (links course, downwind) but the chances of ever repeating it are miniscule, the hole is usually into the wind. So I'm in the same camp as everyone else, it's bull.

I noticed Toby B has made a hasty retreat, maybe he is feeling a little embarrassed.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Asked on our Course Team Group how many HIO’s and Albatross’s people had had.
Answers varied from zero to zero to a few guys having over 8 HIO’s, closest response to the OP was one guy in his late 50’s who has been a plus Golfer having 7 HIO’s and 3 Albatross’s in over 40 years of playing.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
View attachment 54379

It was a counties event at Hunstanton and Bob was representing Leicestershire.
Friday was a practice round. Two more aces followed on the next two days.
Bob is also famous for a hole in one on our par 4 ninth hole.

I've met Bob a few times.
First time was 1977 when they organised a county juniors vs county first team. Six county men had to play scratch matchplay against two juniors' betterball. 12 in the junior team.
I was privileged to be drawn against Bob.
Was privileged to be drawn with Bob in a county event a few years ago and he was happy to recall that weekend. Reckoned he had an inebriated bet with a teammate of £1 at a million to one that he wouldn't make it a third. Still a little miffed that the bloke never paid out.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
If it was our course, all of the par fives are reachable in two for the very big hitters.,Our longest is 580 yards. I know of one player who shot a two on that. I have only seen one player hit the green in two. And ironically he put his first drive OOB 😳 he parred it with 3 off the tee. His second drive was one of the longest I have seen an amateur hit.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There's a Seaton Carew guy off 14 who a few years ago had 5 HIO's in one season & Seaton only has 3 Par 3's.... remarkable.

RichA

Visit site
Actually witnessed an albatross today for the first time. After hitting our drives on a par 5, we waved a solo player through. He hit his drive up with us then bashed a fairway wood about 250 yards. Landed 30 yards short of the green, a couple of bounces then rolled straight in.
He was in shock but thrilled he'd had some witnesses.

Swango1980

Visit site
Actually witnessed an albatross today for the first time. After hitting our drives on a par 5, we waved a solo player through. He hit his drive up with us then bashed a fairway wood about 250 yards. Landed 30 yards short of the green, a couple of bounces then rolled straight in.
He was in shock but thrilled he'd had some witnesses.
And devastated it couldn't go on his handicap record or occur in a competition.

His mates will never believe him, so he might look to contact you for a witness statement.

Played 9 holes once with a mate. He was scoring ridiculously well, 3 under going onto 17th (our 8th). Par 4, he had a hole in 1. Finished 6 under after 9.