so, the match play final outcome,.........

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
What an absolute prick!!! This has wound me up so god only knows how your feeling?!!
If I was in that situation I recon I'd of been banned for life for beating him round the head with my driver! I know its not big or clever but it wouldve made me feel a whole lot better!
What a ***! I cant believe he did that! Has he got any mates??

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Why did your captain not know the rules? Seems odd to me that.

Not much consolation to you right enough but all he could have done was ask you to replay the shot.

Not just the Captain, but there was 4 of you out there...and a single figure h'capper. It amazes me how people can play golf for so long without knowing basic rules.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
taken from the R&A site

a. Match Play
If a player, when starting a hole, plays a ball from outside the teeing ground, there is no penalty, but the opponent may immediately require the player to cancel the stroke and play a ball from within the teeing ground.

b. Stroke Play
If a competitor, when starting a hole, plays a ball from outside the teeing ground, he incurs a penalty of two strokes and must then play a ball from within the teeing ground. If the competitor makes a stroke from the next teeing ground without first correcting his mistake or, in the case of the last hole of the round, leaves the putting green without first declaring his intention to correct his mistake, he is disqualified.
The stroke from outside the teeing ground and any subsequent strokes by the competitor on the hole prior to his correction of the mistake do not count in his score.

now the ironic part. on may 3rd i ordered from improve my golf........ a pocked size Golf rules quicker reference book, just for occasions like this. A simple book in the bag at £7.99 could have avoided this, instead it was in the desk draw at work. the words knob spring to mind.

:eek: :eek:

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was it a club final or just a final in your swindle/ group??

Club final, Winter singles match play.

Bad luck but as mentioned before it pays to know the rules!!!

As for the buggies following you, were they other club members in the competition of the day?

As you were in the Singles matchplay final you should have had priority over everyone on the course. Who ever was responsible for organising the tee times needs to be spoken to for putting a group in buggies right behind you.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Was it a club final or just a final in your swindle/ group??

Club final, Winter singles match play.

As above, why were you lumped in with other stuff going on?? All adds to the confusion which has ultimately come down heaviest on you.

Don't want to keep kicking you when you're down but it all seems to have been a bit of a shambles. :D

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seems strange palying a matchplay final in the same group as 2 people playing in the medal Surely in a final you want to be able to concentrate on your own match without having to wait about and consider 2 other people playing in a different comp

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
usd, it was also monthly medal day, we was playing our final in with 2 playing in the medal, the following groups were all medal players

Sounds like this should be brought up before the Match committee so that it doesn't happen again.

If the other 2 are playing Medal it's a whole different ball game to matchplay.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
usd, it was also monthly medal day, we was playing our final in with 2 playing in the medal, the following groups were all medal players

Does all sound a bit messy mate. I'd have expected to be playing in a 2 ball for a singles final rather than lumped in with a medal and whatever else was going on.

Would have avoided the rush aswell as, assuming all 4 balls behind, you 2 would be out of sight of everyone else.

You must be gutted, I'm gutted for you!! At least you won't make that mistake again in matchplay but a tough way to learn the lesson.....

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
jocko, indeed its a lesson learned, harsh in way but isnt that the best way to learn. As I said above the worst of it is i purchased a pocket rule book in case anything like this happens. But it was useless sitting in the work draw.

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Oh man, not only are you feeling p***ed at this guy for giving you 3-off-the-tee - you were both wrong as it's a replay without penalty if he spots the error!

On the very small plus side - you won't forget that rule ever again.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This is the tricky bit bob, as I said he's words were " shame is not good, bla bla bla " I retook the shot again which was a mirror shot to be honest, then as we left the tee the captain said play the hole as it is and we will have a rule query when we get in.

As we discussed it walking down the hole one of the three of us threw in that it was either a loss of hole or stroke v's penalty situation, Im sure when I was playing around on the iphone app for R&A it was distance v's stroke, and I discussed that and it was mutually agreed.

This is again where i think the golf rules need to be addressed, how can it be a 2 stroke penalty in stroke play, yet a replay "if the opponent wants you to" without penalty in stroke play. This should be a general rule covering both formats. Its grey areas like this that cause confusion in my opinion. You could argue we knew the rule, just, the confusion is to what format it applied to.

either way the rules book is now in my bag. better late than never.

I suppose in hindsight, we should have continued the match down 18 as if it was still playing, checked the ruling and then if need be played down the first again.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
This is again where i think the golf rules need to be addressed, how can it be a 2 stroke penalty in stroke play, yet a replay "if the opponent wants you to" without penalty in stroke play. This should be a general rule covering both formats. Its grey areas like this that cause confusion in my opinion. You could argue we knew the rule, just, the confusion is to what format it applied to.

Matchplay is very different than strokeplay as probably 90% of the time, a rule breach would be loss of hole. This problem off the tee is an exception, the same as playing out of turn, you can be asked to replay the stroke.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
twire, for people that are spec'd on every different rule possible and its variations then i agree, but mostly this comes from years of playing experience and no doubt harsh learning curves such as mine this weekend. But with so many ancey little rules in golf simplifying them would only make them easier to learn. When you have a 6 capper, 3 low cat3 players one of which has played for years and is currently club captain not knowing every knook and cranny of the rule book then it has to be agree'd that the rules of golf in the own are a skill required.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
twire, for people that are spec'd on every different rule possible and its variations then i agree, but mostly this comes from years of playing experience and no doubt harsh learning curves such as mine this weekend. But with so many ancey little rules in golf simplifying them would only make them easier to learn. When you have a 6 capper, 3 low cat3 players one of which has played for years and is currently club captain not knowing every knook and cranny of the rule book then it has to be agree'd that the rules of golf in the own are a skill required.

I must say I'm still stunned that the club captain didn't know the rules! He would have been someone I would assume to be an authority on such matters in the club, I may be wrong though?

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
I must say I'm still stunned that the club captain didn't know the rules! He would have been someone I would assume to be an authority on such matters in the club, I may be wrong though?

Our current captain plays mainly socially and is off 15, next years is off 20 and last year was off of 14. None of them would be an officianado on the rules, why would they??

Unless they were put in a position that required that level of rules knowledge. It's our own responsibility to have a handle on the rules, if not then tough tit, I'm affraid. :D