so, the match play final outcome,.........

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Come in late to this thread and probably going to add very little but it almost feels like a wind up

I just dont get playing a matchplay singles knockout in a 4 ball

How is such a straightforward rule which is clearly stated misinterpreted by 4 players

What is the comps secretary doing asking the other guy what he wants to do after the event, grow a backbone and make a decision (which for the ops sake im afraid should be result stands).

The only thing that could make the situ worse would be for the others involved to find out its been discussed on the best golf forum there is!

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
That is absolutely gut wrenching. Thought when you said you'd teed from the wrong place that he asked you to replay and you knocked it OB. When you mentioned penalty I'm going Nooooo!.

As said above there was just so much wrong with how that final was conducted. A final is special and should be treated as such not rolled in with anything else. As for the conduct of your opponent, the stupidity of your captain and lack of consideration by the other guy, well, I'm ffff....labbergasted. :mad:

I have fallen foul of this rule in a comp some years ago. First one of the year off the whites, 2nd hole, whites and yellows close together. My playing partner nearly followed me but noticed just in time. :eek:

Don't beat yourself up. Yes it is a player's responsibility to know the rules. I reckon I know them reasonably well but there is loads of stuff I don't know and have been wrong about. It's hard to take them in just by reading them and the best way to learn is by experience.

Looking at Rules 2-4 - Concession of Match, Hole or Next Stroke and 2-5 - Doubt as to Procedure; Disputes and Claims, there are some interesting Decisions

2-4/12 Player Concedes Hole on Basis of Invalid Claim
2-4/16 Valid Timely Claim Made After Concession of Match
2-5/5 Invalid Claim Not Disputed
2-5/8 Status of Valid Claim If Players Accept Wrong Ruling from Someone Not on Committee and Continue Match
2-5/10 Player Accepting Erroneous Claim Disputes It After Result Announced - indicates that incorrect information on the Rules is not wrong information and it is up to each player to know the Rules.

http://www.randa.org/en/Rules-and-Amateu...mp;subRuleNum=5

What comes out of those decisions is that in a match any idiot can tell you you've incurred a penalty and if you accept it it's your look out. That seems harsh and a charlatan's charter but it's another reason to always have a rule book with you and not be afraid to dispute what you're told. That's not so easy when it's the club captain though.

Anyway mate credit to you for taking it so well and we'll see if the other guy has any honour and integrity. If he won't agree to replay or if it's too late to put it right, I think you should at least get a special prize from your club.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Mashie, I have thought about this overnight and im 90% sure im going to request the comps board not to take this further(I have until saturday to do so). In an ideal world when sitting in the clubhouse if i thought i was in any position to argue this claim in my opinion that is when i should have done it. As it was we could have walked back out and then replayed either 17 & 18 or 18 alone. Still in game mode and not with a week passed

I dont think its fair on the other player dispite him watching me play from the yellows, to request we replay them holes, to be fair sunday he brought he's A game, and i didnt, and assessing the golf i think although the outcome was not clean cut the better golfer won. He played out of he's socks to keep me under pressure and i played some of the best short game recovery shots i had just to stay in the running, it simply wasnt my day, whether fate decided this or not is another thing

It will just go down as a major lesson, deep breath and onto blackmoor.

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
Unbelievable all round. One mistake on top of another from the outset and not a good advert for your clubs committee or anyone involved in the fiasco from start to finish.

Best to let sleeping dogs lie and take what crumbs of comfort you can from it.

Well done for getting to the final and taking it as far you did. It's only golf and there's always next week

EZprophet

Head Pro
Visit site
Mashie, I have thought about this overnight and im 90% sure im going to request the comps board not to take this further(I have until saturday to do so). In an ideal world when sitting in the clubhouse if i thought i was in any position to argue this claim in my opinion that is when i should have done it. As it was we could have walked back out and then replayed either 17 & 18 or 18 alone. Still in game mode and not with a week passed

I dont think its fair on the other player dispite him watching me play from the yellows, to request we replay them holes, to be fair sunday he brought he's A game, and i didnt, and assessing the golf i think although the outcome was not clean cut the better golfer won. He played out of he's socks to keep me under pressure and i played some of the best short game recovery shots i had just to stay in the running, it simply wasnt my day, whether fate decided this or not is another thing

It will just go down as a major lesson, deep breath and onto blackmoor.

I think that is the right decision to be honest mate. While what he did was obviously completely horrendous and unsportsmanlike, at the end of the day, it was your mistake with the rules. Part of me wants you to get to play it again and teach the t**t a lesson, but I think that by accepting it you are doing the right thing.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This is my feeling, dispite incorrect ruling, the cock up of ultimate stature started with my lack of concentration. Unsportsmanlike or not the issue should have been addressed and delt with straight away in the club house not days/weeks later.

My mistake
My loss
He's win

Simples.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Barry i think that now you have had time to reflect you have made the right decision. You can hold you head up high in the club, unlike your opponent.

Oh and you can play off any tee you like at Blackmoor. :D :D :D :D

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks mashie.

Rich, that will be full handicap of the reds then please, atleast I can compete with some of the 45 points a round bandits from here!

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
I havent read all of this and TBH cannot be bothered but is the main thrust that you incurred a 2 shot penalty by playing from the wrong tee and lost the match on the basis of this decision?

If that is correct then it is your fault for not knowing the rules and tough, harsh as that may seem.

I had a guy putt up to about 6 inches he walked up and tapped it in without me saying anything I made him retake the putt (which I was going to give) and he missed it handing me the hole. Know the basic rules it is in your benefit

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
I havent read all of this and TBH cannot be bothered but is the main thrust that you incurred a 2 shot penalty by playing from the wrong tee and lost the match on the basis of this decision?

If that is correct then it is your fault

Genius.

Perhaps at least reading the OP's posts would have saved you the bother of typing

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a guy putt up to about 6 inches he walked up and tapped it in without me saying anything I made him retake the putt (which I was going to give) and he missed it handing me the hole. Know the basic rules it is in your benefit

You sound like a fun person to play golf with

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Theres knowing the basic rules, and in my opinion taking the dam right piss. I'll let you decide my view on that one..... :eek:

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site

did you read my post? It was his attitude when I said you are not supposed to do that that made me say to him to retake it.

EZprophet

Head Pro
Visit site

So at what point were you going to give him the putt? Surely you always say it by the time they get to their ball? Or were you waiting for him to mark it from 6 inches?

I just don't understand people like you. I really don't... I mean I can understand wanting to win and I am as competetive as they come, but wanting to win so badly that you will do stuff like that... thats just really, really pathetically sad.

EZprophet

Head Pro
Visit site

did you read my post? It was his attitude when I said you are not supposed to do that that made me say to him to retake it.

Have you read your post?? At what point did you mention his attitude? :D