so, the match play final outcome,.........

DCB

Visit site
Gentlemen, are we forgetting the late Seve's matchplay tactics. He almost caused an international incident because he didn't give Tom Lehman a very short put in the 1995 Ryder Cup.

Ballesteros was within his right not to give the putt as he wanted the marker there on the green to help his own line to the hole.

Matchplay is very different from strokeplay and the rules are different. You cannot play out of turn in matchplay.

EZprophet

Head Pro
Visit site
Gentlemen, are we forgetting the late Seve's matchplay tactics. He almost caused an international incident because he didn't give Tom Lehman a very short put in the 1995 Ryder Cup.

Ballesteros was within his right not to give the putt as he wanted the marker there on the green to help his own line to the hole.

Matchplay is very different from strokeplay and the rules are different. You cannot play out of turn in matchplay.

So now you are comparing a club match with the Ryder Cup... I really have heard it all now.

And its not the fact that he didn't give a putt that is despicable (I dont always give short putts in matchplay, far from it, nor do I expect to be given any putt,
), its making him replay it that is just horrible sportsmanship...

Obviously you shouldn't purposely play out of turn in matchplay, as you can gain an advantage by doing so, but that clearly isn't the case here. In this case, the guy has used the rule BECAUSE he made the putt, which is a douche bag thing to do.

Let me put it to you this way. Hypothetically, if the guy had walked up to the 6 inch putt and struck the ball towards the hole, and we then had the ability to freeze time while the ball was halfway to the hole (3 inches out) and we had asked our friend here if he wanted the guy to replay it, what do you think his answer would be?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have to agree that whilst the poster was right within the letter of the law to ask him to replay it, in the spirit of the game surely not. Who wouldn't give a 6 inch putt and if it was going to be given why wait for him to get to the ball and put it in the hole.

I think if you have to win at all costs like that then I'm glad I don't have to play you at all. You made no reference to his attitude in the OP and it's more the fact he walked up and holed out, which may have been a genuine mistake, that got up your nose. Either way I think its your attitude that stinks