Michael Bisping

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
This past weekend saw records broken in what was one of the greatest UFC events of all-time, especially for one man, Michael 'The Count' Bisping.

A lot you won't have heard of the Manchester lad. He's been a UFC stalwart for 10 years. He won the 2nd season of The Ultimate Fighter, has been in the Top 10 in the middleweight division for years, but has never been able to cross the line and win the big fight. That changed earlier this year. In front of a packed O2 Arena in London he shocked the world and beat the greatest MMA fighter of all-time, Anderson Silva. He was ready for a title shot.

UFC 199 was set to be headlined by reigning champ Luke Rockhold taking on former champ and the man he beat for the belt Chris Weidman. However, 2 weeks out from the fight and the UFC got the call, Weidman is injured and can't fight on June 4th. So, the call went out, and who would answer it? None other than Michael Bisping. It didn't matter to Bisping that he was on the set of a movie at the time, or that the fight was against a guy that beat him back in November 2014. Bisping took the fight.

UFC 199 was the 2nd time in UFC history that an English fighter was fighting for a UFC title. The last man to do it was Dan Hardy, he was unsuccessful. The fairytale year for Bisping wasn't over though, he followed his win over Anderson with an emphatic, impressive and devastating KO of Luke Rockhold in the first round to become the first ever Englishman to hold UFC gold. In doing so he also tied Georges St.Pierre's record for most UFC wins in history. A much overlook and under-rated fighter, Bisping has finally done it.

He is a man that should be celebrated in our country. He personifies British spirit. He's basically fighting with 1 eye. He received an awful detached retina that almost left him blind. The retina still hasn't been properly fixed, doctors won't re-attach it properly while he's still fighting in fear of it getting damaged again and leaving him permanently blind. He's fighting with 1 and a half eyes. People said Bisping had no KO power, but Luke Rockhold will beg to differ, the brutal first round KO Bisping handed out on Saturday Night left no doubt of his improvements. Hopefully now, with a UFC title belt on his list of accomplishments, the UK born fighter will get the recognition he deserves. He's an ambassador for MMA in this country, a family man, and a true fighters fighter. If anyone can bring MMA to mainstream popularity in this country it's Mike and I could not be more pleased that he's gone on to achieve his dream the past weekend.

War The Count!

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This past weekend saw records broken in what was one of the greatest UFC events of all-time, especially for one man, Michael 'The Count' Bisping.

War The Count!

was absolutely thrilled for him mate, a criminally underrated fire and a proper fighter too.

I honestly thought Rockhold woulda take him apart but how wrong I was!

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I actually did think Bisping was going to win, but not by 1st round KO. I thought Bisping would fight smart and outpoint Rockhold like he did to Anderson, but man, talk about putting an exclamation point on the win. Rockhold's a classless douchebag too, so was delighted to see him get brutally KO'd.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
The comments are a shame, but I genuinely don't believe he's a homophobe. He's just an emotional guy and said some stupid ****. He doesn't mean anything by the things he says and I'm sure he regrets using those words when he's out of the situation.

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I actually did think Bisping was going to win, but not by 1st round KO. I thought Bisping would fight smart and outpoint Rockhold like he did to Anderson, but man, talk about putting an exclamation point on the win. Rockhold's a classless douchebag too, so was delighted to see him get brutally KO'd.

Yeah i'm really not a fan of Rockhold.

Looking forward to UFC 200 now, love watching Jon Jones cause the guys just a masterclass, although I think he'll have another tough fight against Cormier.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
The comments are a shame, but I genuinely don't believe he's a homophobe. He's just an emotional guy and said some stupid ****. He doesn't mean anything by the things he says and I'm sure he regrets using those words when he's out of the situation.

Never heard of the man but can't let this comment pass. If you make homophobic remarks, you are a homophobe. Bad enough that cretins like this exist without others trying to excuse their crass behaviour.

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yeah i'm really not a fan of Rockhold.

Looking forward to UFC 200 now, love watching Jon Jones cause the guys just a masterclass, although I think he'll have another tough fight against Cormier.

Jon Jones failed drug test :( not gonna be fighting UFC 200

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why don't you like Lesnar? The man is a beast. Gives zero ****s, heck of an athlete and knows how to sell himself. Can't wait to see Brock back in the UFC. Sucks that Jon has messed things up for himself again though, hope his B-sample comes back clean.

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
stems from watching WWE as a youngster I think :D

Think his ego is bigger than most.

I also love Mark Hunt so hoping he KO's him.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I too love Mark Hunt, how can you not? The guy is a beast. But Brock was the main guy when I first started watching the UFC. Knew of him from following WWE when I was younger, and every UFC PPV Brock was a part of was a huge deal. I remember the build for UFC 100, it was absolutely epic. Then the build for Carwin, and then Cain were just incredible shows. It's great having Brock back. He's had a good run recently with WWE, but he's such a draw in MMA, love a Lesnar fight night. I also think Brock is a bad match-up for Hunt. Incredible takedowns, strong jiu jitsu and brutal GnP. Hunt could be in for a painful evening if he fails to defend the takedown!

Bisping has put his name in the hat for the DC fight. Gustafsson has too put his name down and said he can be in Vegas tomorrow. Mousasi also willing to step up and take on DC. Either way, looks like DC is getting himself a fight.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He's one dimensional, bull dozes in and sits on an opponent for 5 minutes, rinse and repeat. He has zero mma skills apart from limited wrestling skills that I can see.
Oh, and cries like a girl when he's being hit.

Agree. I don't see what Lesnar brings to the UFC. OK he brings the hype but really don't like his style.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
He's one dimensional, bull dozes in and sits on an opponent for 5 minutes, rinse and repeat. He has zero mma skills apart from limited wrestling skills that I can see.
Oh, and cries like a girl when he's being hit.

He's certainly one dimensional, but he does have MMA skills. Dropped Heath Herring and Randy Couture with strikes, dominated Frank Mir with not only wrestling but jiu jitsu, he did a magnificent job stifling Mir's guard and delivered some nasty GnP. He doesn't handle getting hit particularly well, but not many people on the planet can handle getting hit by prime Cain Velasquez and juiced to the gills Ubereem. Overeem kicked Brock in the stomach 6 months after he had severe stomach surgery, that would finish off anyone. Brock's better than a lot of people give him credit for, and I do think he'll beat Mark Hunt, who is similarly one-dimensional.

Oohmeoldbacksknackered

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Never heard of the man but can't let this comment pass. If you make homophobic remarks, you are a homophobe. Bad enough that cretins like this exist without others trying to excuse their crass behaviour.

I haven't looked at this instance and have no intention of so doing.

But as a generalisation I have to disagree with your logic. I don't know anyone who at some time hasn't made some racist, sexist, ageist, gingerist, or other ..ist comment at some time over the 50 odd years I've been around.

Some of them are evil, some are stupid, some of them are angry and even some of them are trying to be funny. Some can change their minds with a reasoned debate, some are a closed book. But I would never tar all of them with the same brush.

I think we have to look a tad deeper before writing someone off.

(The above isn't meant to sound as patronising as it reads, but it sort of says what I'm trying to convey so tough titty)

(PS Can we set the spellchecker to English, please)