Would this wind you up?

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
In the medal, played 16 holes and a par par finish would bring me down to the magic number I have been searching for this season, an 8 handicap.

Hit a great tee shot leaving 140 yards to go to a raised green. As we are walking down the fairway I see a member of the 4 ball (therefore in a bounce game) behind us looking for a ball and I point it out for him on the middle of our fairway and he ambles his way towards it.

I set up to the ball, go through my routine, start my backswing, get to the top and start swinging down. At this point I am disturbed by the guy's ball smacking into the tress and end up pulling it to the worst spot on the hole to get up and down.

A quick shout of 'thanks for that pal!' and away I go. End up 3 putting for a double and have obviously let it get to me. I am not normally sensitive to these things but with a massive noise off the trees it really put me off.

It is my understanding that, if you are on the wrong fairway you should wait for those playing it to play their shots before you do or go if they invite you to do so. Surely everyone plays the game this way?

Oh well, still at a 9 handicap!

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
In the medal, played 16 holes and a par par finish would bring me down to the magic number I have been searching for this season, an 8 handicap.

Hit a great tee shot leaving 140 yards to go to a raised green. As we are walking down the fairway I see a member of the 4 ball (therefore in a bounce game) behind us looking for a ball and I point it out for him on the middle of our fairway and he ambles his way towards it.

I set up to the ball, go through my routine, start my backswing, get to the top and start swinging down. At this point I am disturbed by the guy's ball smacking into the tress and end up pulling it to the worst spot on the hole to get up and down.

A quick shout of 'thanks for that pal!' and away I go. End up 3 putting for a double and have obviously let it get to me. I am not normally sensitive to these things but with a massive noise off the trees it really put me off.

It is my understanding that, if you are on the wrong fairway you should wait for those playing it to play their shots before you do or go if they invite you to do so. Surely everyone plays the game this way?

I assume they were a couple of holes behind you and he strayed from a parallel fairway.
I would say if it's your fairway, you have right of way.
Some errant golfers will think "I'll just hit this quickly and get out of your way" but they should only do this if you wave them on to play first.

Bad luck!

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I assume they were a couple of holes behind you and he strayed from a parallel fairway.
I would say if it's your fairway, you have right of way.
Some errant golfers will think "I'll just hit this quickly and get out of your way" but they should only do this if you wave them on to play first.

Bad luck!

That's always been my feeling. Probably partly to blame for not looking around but I would have thought that anyone would wait for the people with the right to be on the fairway to play. Doesn't help that he seems to have tried a miracle shot over the trees and cracked one straight into it!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Communicate with people on the course and you wont ever have this issue.

Yep! Equivalent to Defensive Driving (the non-Golf sort! :rolleyes:), be aware of what might happen in these sort of circumstances and adjust accordingly. In this case (nearly at the end of the comp round) I'd probably have given the guy the right of way anyway and focused on the shot I needed to birdie the hole!

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yep! Equivalent to Defensive Driving (the non-Golf sort! :rolleyes:), be aware of what might happen in these sort of circumstances and adjust accordingly. In this case (nearly at the end of the comp round) I'd probably have given the guy the right of way anyway and focused on the shot I needed to birdie the hole!

As I said earlier I am probably partly to blame but it does not change the fact that really this shouldn't be happening. I completely forgot about the guy in honesty but I can not believe that he felt this was ok when it is obvious that we are playing the medal.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
As I said earlier I am probably partly to blame but it does not change the fact that really this shouldn't be happening. I completely forgot about the guy in honesty but I can not believe that he felt this was ok whenit is obvious that we are playing the medal.

Was it?

Other guy in wrong. Poor etiquette on display.

Perhaps/probably. But, to return to my driving equivalent, would you be happy to have a collision just because the other guy was in the wrong?

Last edited:

99problemsbutapitchaint1

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Now you know why Monty was so pissed off, it would drive me nutty too!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Get him out of the way, then you can carry on without having to worry. For me, its a bit like two cars that arrive at an unmarked cross roads. Neither knows who has the right of way/priority. One will flash the other and wave him across - sorted, no bumps. Same on the golf course. Wave him on, then get on with your own game. This also gives you the added benefit of a few more minutes to decide if your club choice/plan is the correct one - in other words turn it into a positive.

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Was it?

Perhaps/probably. But, to return to my driving equivalent, would you be happy to have a collision just because the other guy was in the wrong?

I would say they knew that we were playing in the medal by the fact that they saw us teeing off several times before (slow round) from the white tees.

Using your driving analogy of course you wouldn't want to have an accident if it was the other guys fault. Doesn't change that it is their fault though. Would you stop at every green light and have a look around just in case someone has chosen to run the red the other way?

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Get him out of the way, then you can carry on without having to worry. For me, its a bit like two cars that arrive at an unmarked cross roads. Neither knows who has the right of way/priority. One will flash the other and wave him across - sorted, no bumps. Same on the golf course. Wave him on, then get on with your own game. This also gives you the added benefit of a few more minutes to decide if your club choice/plan is the correct one - in other words turn it into a positive.

But surely we would have the right of way. I should have looked around at him, I didn't think about him but should I have to? I don't think I do. I will in future though.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
It was bad form of him to play if you were playing your shot but by the sound of it, neither of you checked to see if the other player was going to hit the ball. As you fairly say, you should also have checked first. I guess the trick is not to let it get to you for the last couple of holes.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site

That's what I do. Had a similar situation this weekend and the guy on our fairway was about to hit when I stopped him mid backswing as I'd reached what I thought was my ball only to find it was his. I'd like to say he thanked me...

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
But surely we would have the right of way. I should have looked around at him, I didn't think about him but should I have to? I don't think I do. I will in future though.

"But surely" gets you the bump in the car, or what you experienced. Irrespective of who has right of way, do you want the bump? No, so take control of the situation, don't just let it happen.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It is also a nice gesture to let visitors to your fairway ( I get this alot) hit first to get them out of the way and back to their group.

It also means you have less eyes on you as you hit your shot. Gives you a tad longer to eye up your own shot.