Do handicaps take account of age?

Springveldt

Visit site
No. If that was true I should be getting worse, but at 61 my HI is the best it has ever been and there is still room for improvement.
Indeed. I’m a little bit older than you and after a decent round last weekend my handicap off our yellow tees is back to where it was at my best…35yrs ago. Couple of good knocks over next few rounds and off whites I’ll be down to that best ever from of back then. Then with a bit of luck and practice I’m aiming to get down to my best/lowest handicap ever.
So do you think that's down to just getting better, more time playing/practising or newer equipment making the game easier?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So do you think that's down to just getting better, more time playing/practising or newer equipment making the game easier?
With me it was accepting that I couldn’t myself fix the issues I was having that over maybe 25yrs had seen my handicap drift from 6 up to 13, and that had me on the verge of jacking it in; that my sitting with the big ego thing that I’d never had a lesson was somehow cool and that made me special.

I got over my ego and realised that if I wanted to continue playing and enjoying this game I had to go to someone who knew what they were talking about and who could identify my issues and give me the fix(es) for my issues. And that’s what I did.

Armed with an understanding of what I had to do I could go to the range and try and put into practice what I’d been told; and now retired I had the time to go to range regularly. Previously over decades my range sessions had been a complete waste of time - indeed often destructive - I had no idea what I was doing and no idea how to fix it. I did also get new clubs but I don’t think that that has been crucial; it’s helped but it’s not been crucial.

Last edited:

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No idea. I hardly practice anymore and I definitely don’t play more these days. I have always been a reasonable ball striker and straight hitter (Cat 1 in old money since 1995/6) so probably more to do with the ball technology.