Ridiculous golf shots

Albo

Visit site
So today I played 18 first this, lovely morning, blue skies with some fluffy white clouds.
On the 4th hole, a long par 5 into wind, I reached the green side bunker in 3, deep bunker which I popped out onto the fringe with perhaps a 35/40ft putt left. Pulled out my putter and actually topped my putt, I’ve never before topped a putt, amazing ball striking, took me 3 more putts to get down from there.
It got me to thinking what your most memorably terrible shots are, please cheer me up and regale

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I have so many, they fade into obscurity after a while.
In order to maintain my mental health, I just remember the 2 or 3 half decent shots per round 👍

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had two daft ones towards the end of today's round. With 7 wood and then hybrid - they were like slices but off the toe of the club as well, so they just went so far right they weren't even the same planet as where I was aiming. Just baffling.

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Playing a par 4 years ago I topped my drive, topped my fairway, thinned my 9 iron which hit the flag and dropped for a birdie....
Before my first club was extended to 18 holes there was a cow field next to the first..
The Club Champion duck hooked his drive which hit a cow right on the backside and the ball came back in bounds, middle of the fairway
The cow was last spotted on the other side of the field running around like a mad thing....
And I shanked a bunker shot today.....

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I had one at a forum meet.
We had a bit of a walk back to a par 3 tee so I checked the yardage and took one club back.
When I got there, I felt the wind straight against us and knew I didn't have enough club.
So rather than run back to the bag, I teed it up, back in my stance, hands forward to deloft it and proceeded to shank it straight into the rubbish.
What made it worse was there was a tee very close by with at least 2 groups on it all watching.
Not my finest moment.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In my case, a ridiculous non shot. Many years ago in the summer and the ground was baked hard, second shot into a long par 4 using a 3 wood. I hit so far behind the ball that the club bounced over the ball resulting in an air shot.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had one at a forum meet.
We had a bit of a walk back to a par 3 tee so I checked the yardage and took one club back.
When I got there, I felt the wind straight against us and knew I didn't have enough club.
So rather than run back to the bag, I teed it up, back in my stance, hands forward to deloft it and proceeded to shank it straight into the rubbish.
What made it worse was there was a tee very close by with at least 2 groups on it all watching.
Not my finest moment.
Blackmoor? I may have witnessed that….im sure we were all sympathetic at the time 😃

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had a 280 yd 8 iron to a centre pin and rather embarrassingly tweaked it left. Nearly missed the green and had a twenty foot putt after hitting an 8 iron.😡

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Blackmoor? I may have witnessed that….im sure we were all sympathetic at the time 😃
Yeup, that was it.
2011 I believe.
Not my best day, I even 4 putted one of the greens that had a daft pin location on a slope.
Got my revenge the next day though at Camberley where I shot level par and won some money.

sjw

Visit site
Had a 280 yd 8 iron to a centre pin and rather embarrassingly tweaked it left. Nearly missed the green and had a twenty foot putt after hitting an 8 iron.😡
You joke, but a 10 cap I played with on Saturday was annoyed with missing the green with an 8 iron from about 160, 170 yards 🙄

On the same day, played my ridiculous shot - fatted my driver so bad it went about 40 yards and there was mud halfway up the face. I had to wipe it down with my towel before putting the headcover on, and the tee box looked like there had been a meteor strike

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
My most memorable terrible shots out of the many thousands of awful shots - hmmmm. Successfully forget them, usually, but...

Four ridiculously poor shots in a row at the worst time imaginable.
2019 club championship 36 holes off scratch.

My first tee-shot was poor – low and very left. It hit a little fir tree and it dropped straight down short and left of the fairway, but at least the tree stopped it from being a gonna. I had a bad lie in the rough and a restricted backswing. Six-iron shot squirted out low and left and landed in the thick rough. I attempted to play a pitching wedge to be sure to get out and finish somewhere short of the green with the hope of a pitch-and-putt bogey. The ball squirted out left again and came to rest in the rough at the foot of a small tree. I attempted to chop the ball forwards to the front of the green. The ball just clipped a branch of the tree and finished two yards short of the green.

After a crap drive and three hacks, I was not yet on the green.

Chipped and one-putted for a double bogey.

Played 17 holes in level par followed by 18 holes in 1-over and won by two shots.
Turned out to be one of the best golfing days of my life after a quite comically bad start.

Last edited:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Playing in the winter open at Thetford a couple of years ago.

Wasn’t playing great, but not that bad.

Hit a great drive on the par 5 17th so the green was easily reachable in 2. So waiting for the group in front to clear the green.

Then fresh aired the shot. It’s the only fresh air shot I can remember hitting.

I did put my 3rd just next to the green and made a par.

RichA

Visit site
I've done this twice recently - topped my driver, but managed to hit the ball hard enough that even though it clearly hit the ground 12 inches in front of me it bounced up and flew about 150 yards. Basically, 0.3 yards of carry and 150 yards of roll.

Jasonr

Club Champion
Visit site
I teed up a touch too high with a three wood or a hybrid can't remember exactly, but I managed to get so underneath it, that it went straight up in the air up that I had ran forward five yards I could have caught the thing. I have no idea how I did it.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Playing in the winter open at Thetford a couple of years ago.

Wasn’t playing great, but not that bad.

Hit a great drive on the par 5 17th so the green was easily reachable in 2. So waiting for the group in front to clear the green.

Then fresh aired the shot. It’s the only fresh air shot I can remember hitting.

I did put my 3rd just next to the green and made a par.
People say the hardest shot in golf is when another group lets you play through. But I think it is when you wait for the green to clear and you know that the shot is right at the limit of your distance. You're almost guaranteed to duff the ball and look like a complete tool for waiting.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
So many bad shots over the years.
One I remember on a par 5 / 2nd shot
The greenkeeper was mowing 60 yards in from of me, he pulled over to the left & jestered to me to hit my shot.
Yep, you've guessed it.

A low thinned hook with a 3 wood.
It went off like a rocket, never got more than 3 feet off the ground, it smashed straight through the mower windscreen & showered the greenkeeper in broken glass.
I was very embarrassed & very apologetic.
In fairness, he did take it very well.
But, apart from hitting a villa roof (several actually) with a massive sliced driver shot whilst playing in Spain, that was probably my worst shot.

Albo

Visit site
People say the hardest shot in golf is when another group lets you play through. But I think it is when you wait for the green to clear and you know that the shot is right at the limit of your distance. You're almost guaranteed to duff the ball and look like a complete tool for waiting.
So much this

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Duffing it would have at least moved the ball forward a bit 🤣

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
My first ever shot on a full course was a shocker.

As a 12/13 year old I visited a local muni with a mate one Saturday morning. He was a very handy single figure golfer already, where as muggins here hadn’t got a clue.

We went early, got there for opening and joined what was already a long queue. When our turn arrived I thought I’d take the safe option and use a mid iron for safety. There was a wide fairway which was impossible to miss, but a lengthy queue behind us, and the last thing I wanted to do was embarrass myself.

Embarrass myself is exactly what I did, with one straight off the hosel of my 7-iron onto the heavily populated practice green to the right of the tee and in front of the clubhouse.

Not a great start to my golfing life.