Would this wind you up?

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
being an erratic golfer, I have spent my fair share of time on the incorrect fairway! I will always wait by the side of fw and would never play my ball without being invited to by the group playing on their fairway in a situation where who should play next is in question. 9/10 they want me off their fairway asap, so i go forth and chomp it another 50 yards in vaguely the right direction.

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
why does the fact you are playing in the medal and him in a bounce game (you assume) have any bearing on this?

Personally I try to be courteous to all on the golf course. If they are playing in a comp I am even more likely to do so. In no way do I mean I should have priority because I am in the medal. I do however feel I should have priority because he is on my fairway.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
why does the fact you are playing in the medal and him in a bounce game (you assume) have any bearing on this?

This is exactly the reason IMO why people struggle to perform in medals sometimes. Its not the US bloody Open, just play your round of golf and dont put more pressure on yourself.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
being an erratic golfer, I have spent my fair share of time on the incorrect fairway! I will always wait by the side of fw and would never play my ball without being invited to by the group playing on their fairway in a situation where who should play next is in question. 9/10 they want me off their fairway asap, so i go forth and chomp it another 50 yards in vaguely the right direction.

Erratic? you've improved :whistle:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Personally I try to be courteous to all on the golf course. If they are playing in a comp I am even more likely to do so. In no way do I mean I should have priority because I am in the medal. I do however feel I should have priority because he is on my fairway.

Fair enough

not sure there is a priority thing, you'll find its a lot easier on yourself and mindset if you just let the other guy go each time imo

jpjeffery

Assistant Pro
learnergolfer.wordpress.com
I would say they knew that we were playing in the medal by the fact that they saw us teeing off several times before (slow round) from the white tees.
But all that definitely tells them is that you were playing from the white tees, not that you were playing in a comp...

It's a minor point though, he should have waited, I'm with you on that point.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Unless the group on the right hole are already taking their shots, I've always thought it best for the stray to play and get gone first (especially if they are ahead of you), since while they are waiting for the other group, play can back up behind them.

It probably would annoy me though if the other guy played while I was trying to play.

Not the same, but similar, it annoys me when the group behind tee off before I've played my second shot. Yes, they might not be able to reach me, but I don't know that when I hear the thud of a ball landing behind me at the top of my backswing!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
It would have wound me up a bit to be honest, especially as you were ahead of him on the course. You'd think he'd have let you go to keep the speed of play up front going.
If he had been in front of me, I would have let him go first for the same reason.

Craigg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It is also a nice gesture to let visitors to your fairway ( I get this alot) hit first to get them out of the way and back to their group.

It also means you have less eyes on you as you hit your shot. Gives you a tad longer to eye up your own shot.

Is the correct answer for me also. Gets rid of that little ear worm that keeps telling you someone is watching and waiting.

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Some baffling responses to this one, and I feel a bit sorry of the OP who's being treated as a naughty - or at least foolish - schoolboy by some.

The other guy was 100% in the wrong. It has always been the case that if you stray on to another fairway you wait until those playing that hole have either played first or invited you to play before them if they so desire. In the absence of any such an invite you wait until they have played and gone.

What the OP 'should have, could have' done is almost irrelevant as the other guy was completely in the wrong.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Some baffling responses to this one, and I feel a bit sorry of the OP who's being treated as a naughty - or at least foolish - schoolboy by some.

The other guy was 100% in the wrong. It has always been the case that if you stray on to another fairway you wait until those playing that hole have either played first or invited you to play before them if they so desire. In the absence of any such an invite you wait until they have played and gone.

What the OP 'should have, could have' done is almost irrelevant as the other guy was completely in the wrong.

Yep, makes sound sense to me!

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

I would say he was in the wrong, some have mentioned that if he is in the group ahead I should have let him go, he wasn't as was on the hole behind. Others that as a courtesy I should let him go first but as a courtesy maybe he should've let me go first.

I do however take some people's point and that, if I had let him go or paid more attention to what he was doing, this problem would not have happened, regardless of fault.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I suppose it’s best to view the other player is as much of an interference/potential threat to a shot as a groundskeeper running round on a tractor, non playing walkers on the course, even an FC not paying attention

But if I’m on a wrong fairway I’ll just wait or get the go-ahead from the players on the correct hole before proceeding (doesn’t matter whose group is in front of whom)