How much does poor company affect your game?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
It's not so much a case of ruining a round Robin.

As I said in the OP, I can usually switch off from his antics, but when it affects the group as a whole that's not good.

He has a reputation at work as regards to his attitude so, as you can, imagine people don't want to play with him.

I don't normally have an issue, I hit my shot and switch off until I have to hit another. I just found it strange how I couldn't Saturday.

I think its affecting you more than you realise, especially if you are concious its affecting others in the group, your then thinking about the affect its having on them and subconsciously all that's running around in your head! I think its time to have the wounded animal put down ;)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Have a quiet word AWAY from the golf course, where he'll be a little calmer. Make him aware of the impact its having on your game but ask him if there's anything you can do to help. By finishing with a question, rather than an accusation, you might engage with him and make him more receptive...

Where's the like button on here?

Good advice, thanks Hobbit :thup:

D

Deleted Member 1156

I feel sorry for RickG and myself, we both had to endure PNWokingham over the weekend...................... :whistle:

Only kidding Paul :D

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd just come straight out with in and say you don't want to play with the guy whilst he continues with that attitude on the course, simple. I don't know if asking what you can do to help is the best solution though, might sound a bit patronising? Either way, if you continue to play with him (and he continues to be a bit of a clown) you may be judged by association, which would be unfortunate.

By the way, what is the definition of a "Weekend Warrior"? I'm unsure if I fit in to this bracket, but given some opinions on here, I kinda hope I am one.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
By the way, what is the definition of a "Weekend Warrior"? I'm unsure if I fit in to this bracket, but given some opinions on here, I kinda hope I am one.

Weekend warrior: A part time golfer that mainly plays on the weekend. Normally has the latest adjustable driver to eliminate his/her slice/hook (as its not their swing, its the old club) typically wear the latest clothing as worn by rose or poulter. Typically dont repair pitch marks (not that they make many) or divots nor rake bunkers. when in the club house, they moan about how they could be a CAT1 golfer if it wasn't for the kids/job. Also has to measure every shot via GPS so they can log their distances, irrespective of tops or fats, they all count. Even though its their only pastime, they want it over as quickly as possible, so anything over 4 hours for a round is not acceptable and its normal to blame either seniors, women or visitors for the delay (even though they are the ones holding up the course)
When asked how far they drive the ball, its only the very best of sunday best drives mentioned, so they are firmly in the 300 club, even though the concrete fairway has not seen water for 2 months.

That will do for now. I am thinking of getting it on Wikipedia...

So in short, its the likes of me and G1BBO! LOL

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Anybody Cat 2 or above potentially occupying any space on the golf course in front of Bomber on a Saturday or Sunday!

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
Weekend warrior: A part time golfer that mainly plays on the weekend. Normally has the latest adjustable driver to eliminate his/her slice/hook (as its not their swing, its the old club) typically wear the latest clothing as worn by rose or poulter. Typically dont repair pitch marks (not that they make many) or divots nor rake bunkers. when in the club house, they moan about how they could be a CAT1 golfer if it wasn't for the kids/job. Also has to measure every shot via GPS so they can log their distances, irrespective of tops or fats, they all count. Even though its their only pastime, they want it over as quickly as possible, so anything over 4 hours for a round is not acceptable and its normal to blame either seniors, women or visitors for the delay (even though they are the ones holding up the course)
When asked how far they drive the ball, its only the very best of sunday best drives mentioned, so they are firmly in the 300 club, even though the concrete fairway has not seen water for 2 months.

That will do for now. I am thinking of getting it on Wikipedia...

So in short, its the likes of me and G1BBO! LOL

hmmm, I rake bunkers, repair others pitch marks aswell as my own but fit into the rest of that perfectly :p

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
hmmm, I rake bunkers, repair others pitch marks aswell as my own but fit into the rest of that perfectly :p

;) as do i, but the rest is probably not far off! LOL I think foxholer summed up Bombers view though, anyone not CAT1 in front of him on the course.. and grown men having 2 shots on a hole..

Bomber69

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Anybody Cat 2 or above potentially occupying any space on the golf course in front of Bomber on a Saturday or Sunday!

PMSL:rofl::rofl: Bomber likes this:thup:

To be honest your not far away from the truth, but you have failed to mention the "Chompers" they are a little bit better than the "Weekend Warriors" but still as slow:whoo:

G1BB0 Just to avoid any doubt you are a "Weekend Warrior" .......

Last edited:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played a comp a while ago with a random member. Buy the third hole he was already 10 over (off 13) and as it was a medal it was safe to say his game was pretty much over. I was on a stormer. However, after 10 more holes of listening to him moan and swear whilst I was hitting and putting caused me to say " calm it down buddy, your bringing me down with you" last few holes where played in silence and he now ignors me!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I played a comp a while ago with a random member. Buy the third hole he was already 10 over (off 13) and as it was a medal it was safe to say his game was pretty much over. I was on a stormer. However, after 10 more holes of listening to him moan and swear whilst I was hitting and putting caused me to say" calm it down buddy, your bringing me down with you" last few holes where played in silence and he now ignors me!

If Hobbits' approach fails, I'll try this :D

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't mind playing with people that get a bit angry and let it go - that's absolutely fine. Chuck a club, swear, do whatever, but then move on.

The hard time I have is when someone has a bad hole and proceeds to talk about it for the rest of the round. "If I hadn't doubled the 4th .." "can you believe that putt missed on the 3rd? ..." etc

Or, without being too cruel, the guys that will talk you through a shot that they're going to play, as if they're Phil Mick explaining to Bones, only to shank one or duff it 30 yards. Generally at our place this is guys off 12-18 who can play a bit but will insist on telling you they're playing for a 'baby fade' (slice) 'low one' (thin) or 'taking a bit off it' (hitting it 99.9%).

I know that it's snobbery, but absolutely no issue with a scratch golfer saying he's going to shape a shot and then it not working. But saying that you're going to hit a shot that Tiger could only pull off 1/10 and then being disappointed with it, and then whinging about it for the next 10 holes starts to become tiresome.

:mmm:

maybe I need to chill out a bit.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If someones behaviour was having an impact I'd say something. Believe it or not I play the game to enjoy myself and if someone is throwing clubs, being moody and putting me off and spoiling this I would definitely think twice before playing with them again and would certainly making them aware that they were spoiling my fun