Angry golfers who won't practice or take lessons...

Springveldt

Visit site
You often hear that on the Sky commentary, 'he will be happy to be in the bunker'. Top players are so good out of bunkers, they are rarely a hazard to them.
While most amateurs are absolutely terrible from them and should be avoiding them at all costs. Problem is that they hear the commentators saying "the bunker is a good place to miss" so they think the same when in reality they are better being in 2 foot high rough than a bunker.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
How many time have we head someone say. I had a lesson but it’s not working. Someone who has a lesson then does absolutely no practice.
Like they are somehow magically going to fix a poor swing.
A lot of people are time-poor though. It might be the case that one round a week and no range time is all they can manage. In which case there's probably little point in having the lesson, unless it can produce a quick-fix. I'll admit that I'm close to this myself, although I can just about squeeze a range session into the week as well - but when I had my lesson in Jan, and after a month I was still playing horribly, I just didn't have the patience to endure horrible golf for that long. So I tried to revert back to something that worked to some degree. Of course people always say that it takes time and work after a lesson to see improvement, but it's tough to keep persevering with something when you're not enjoying your golf at all and it's your one outlet per week.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
While most amateurs are absolutely terrible from them and should be avoiding them at all costs. Problem is that they hear the commentators saying "the bunker is a good place to miss" so they think the same when in reality they are better being in 2 foot high rough than a bunker.
My 12 handicap mate is an anomaly here. He's fantastic from bunkers but can't chip to save his life, so he'd much rather be in a bunker. I think because his chipping yip is duffing it, but in a bunker you're essentially fatting it on purpose so he swings freely without fear.

HomersGolfPro

Banned
Visit site
I've been on this forum for nearly 15 years now Homer, and you have been telling us about your problems and lessons continuously over all this time and yet, you still seem to be in the same place now as you were then. Are you sure that lessons are right for you mate? :sneaky:

They are for my bank balance - ker-ching :p 💰 💰

HomersGolfPro

Banned
Visit site
My issue is with short game and having taken advice of some of our top players (including ex-pros) I have changed the short game technique to a more up to date (Dan Grieve) method. It is just taking time to get rid of the years of chocolate frogs in my head and focus on it with clarity
Dan Grieve????? Hurt :cry::cry::cry:

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
I've been on this forum for nearly 15 years now Homer, and you have been telling us about your problems and lessons continuously over all this time and yet, you still seem to be in the same place now as you were then. Are you sure that lessons are right for you mate? :sneaky:

The biggest marker for improvement in the game is someone’s Handicap

We have seen someone have multiple lessons both technical and mental and the HC stays the same

Now it could be that lessons have kept someone at a level as opposed to improving

Or lessons are hindering any improvements

We see some take lessons and then ignore it and blame the lessons , some just don’t suit , and some may just not get better

There will always be the quest for the Eureka moment ( even think that’s a new swing method )

HomersGolfPro

Banned
Visit site
I love the way you say you've never had a lesson yet write them off as a placebo for some. I would agree that if you turn up, have the lesson and then don't put the work in then it is a waste of time (and I am sure Bob could see every lesson those that had and hadn't when he taught). Not sure why you say they won't suit everyone (unless it is for the effort as before). I am approaching 60 in a few years and have some injury issues but I still believe I have the capability to improve and so work at my game to do so. I have no idea why you say ability and biology has to stop it. I can improve my ability and I can do stuff to improve my fitness and core to be more resilient to injury.

You have written lessons off on here for years on the basis you don't have them and are happy to try thing on your own

You tell him buddy 👏

Springveldt

Visit site
there will certainly be some out there that don’t realise their potential- and I guess that’s the same in any sport

The issue with golf is time - some really only have a finite amount of time to play the game during the weekend so want to focus on just going on and playing and enjoying where they are

A lot will prob also improve by playing more as well
The bit in bold is really the important part. Even if you are getting lessons you need to devote time to getting better as well and most family men/woman don't have that time. If I take a lesson it's not for a long term fix, it's because I've screwed something up in my swing and getting an experienced set of eyes on it to get me back to hitting the ball is usually all I'm after. I don't have the time to try and change my swing path/rotate more through the ball/change wrist angles etc that can be long term changes that you really need to engrain. I'm just looking for something that gets me keeping the ball on the planet again.

Natural ability also has a big part to play, some people are just better at both hand to eye co-ordination and body sequencing and find the game easier than others. It's like when you are at school and some kids just get maths straight away as they are good with numbers while others struggle or some kids can just control a football much better than others without really trying.

HomersGolfPro

Banned
Visit site
Never had a lesson , don’t practise , just try diffrent things from watching videos or seeing stuff on the telly

Lessons won’t suit everyone , lessons may improve some but I will always have the belief that everyone has a natural ability ceiling and no matter how much someone practises or has lessons they will never go beyond a certain point - ability and biology stops it

But they are a great placebo for some

PM me my friend - happy to help change your opinion.

Besides having a new pool put in at my place in Spain so the extra wonga will help.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He is missing a huge chunk of what’s available to him course wise. If he is off scratch and can’t play out of bunkers, I can only imagine he would be + some if he could.
Often times (if you’re a competent bunker player) the bunker is a great miss, if the rough is up or there’s water at the other side of the green the bunker is a great miss, strategically it must be hard approaching a green with water left and sand right contemplating the water as the safe side to miss 🤣
Yes he would imo be + golfer.

We had a holiday in Florida it was his worst nightmare there’s a few big ones on them courses😳

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
The bit in bold is really the important part. Even if you are getting lessons you need to devote time to getting better as well and most family men/woman don't have that time. If I take a lesson it's not for a long term fix, it's because I've screwed something up in my swing and getting an experienced set of eyes on it to get me back to hitting the ball is usually all I'm after. I don't have the time to try and change my swing path/rotate more through the ball/change wrist angles etc that can be long term changes that you really need to engrain. I'm just looking for something that gets me keeping the ball on the planet again.

Natural ability also has a big part to play, some people are just better at both hand to eye co-ordination and body sequencing and find the game easier than others. It's like when you are at school and some kids just get maths straight away as they are good with numbers while others struggle or some kids can just control a football much better than others without really trying.

Summed it up perfectly 👏

Every time I have a little bit of a slump or think maybe I could do with some extra yards I always think is it worth having a lesson

Then will just see something from a blog or vid and try and see what happens

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
A lot of people are time-poor though. It might be the case that one round a week and no range time is all they can manage. In which case there's probably little point in having the lesson, unless it can produce a quick-fix. I'll admit that I'm close to this myself, although I can just about squeeze a range session into the week as well - but when I had my lesson in Jan, and after a month I was still playing horribly, I just didn't have the patience to endure horrible golf for that long. So I tried to revert back to something that worked to some degree. Of course people always say that it takes time and work after a lesson to see improvement, but it's tough to keep persevering with something when you're not enjoying your golf at all and it's your one outlet per week.
If there is something fundamentally wrong then a single lesson may be able to fix it. But, even something like a grip change can take time to get used to and also have an impact somewhere else in the swing.

I firmly believe most mid handicap players would get more benefit from a playing lesson than a technical swing lesson.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Trouble is.........there is practice and practice.
I watched a couple of brilliant young 15 year olds practice their chipping.

30 yards from the flag, every shot teed up on a good lie...hit ...next to the pin... and repeat
Half an hour later they were still doing the same thing from the same length so I walked down and started scattering their balls all over the place.
Put some in divots, bare lies, upslopes, downslopes, stood on a few, some poached eggs in the bunker some on the footpath etc.
A more advanced sort of 'practice'.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Trouble is.........there is practice and practice.
I watched a couple of brilliant young 15 year olds practice their chipping.

30 yards from the flag, every shot teed up on a good lie...hit ...next to the pin... and repeat
Half an hour later they were still doing the same thing from the same length so I walked down and started scattering their balls all over the place.
Put some in divots, bare lies, upslopes, downslopes, stood on a few, some poached eggs in the bunker some on the footpath etc.
A more advanced sort of 'practice'.
Same issue with pumping balls down the driving range really. If your problem is fatting it, the driving range isn't going to help you much, because the mats mask it completely.