Rant time - lessons

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I guess the feeling part rings true - I get used to it so 'feel' I should come more from the outside, hence getting too much.

However, it seems drills are the thing to work on, of which I've been given 0!

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I guess the feeling part rings true - I get used to it so 'feel' I should come more from the outside, hence getting too much.

However, it seems drills are the thing to work on, of which I've been given 0!

I can understand your frustration, we are all so keen to learn. He might be trying different approaches to help you understand what he is trying to explain. Some people grasp feel, some grasp video facing, some grasp video from behind. The smash bag is a drill tho isn't it? It's one I was given a while back to try and eliminate casting and to accellerate at impact rather than from the top. At our place you can ask to use any of these training aids if they have been given to you to use for your homework. They are locked away in the store room but any of the pro's will get them for you.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Top of the backswing. He called it 'collapsing the knee'

Here's a picture that the folks who created Stack & Tilt use to say it's ok to allow the leg to lose flex, but not lock out.

1.jpg

As it happens my pro has no issue with my right me straightening in the back swing.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Here's a picture that the folks who created Stack & Tilt use to say it's ok to allow the leg to lose flex, but not lock out.

View attachment 10832

As it happens my pro has no issue with my right me straightening in the back swing.

Interesting, my leg looks exactly like that on the video. But he was telling me that creates shanks and fat shots. We worked (among other things) on keeping that knee flexed, and the final videos were much more flexed.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Interesting, my leg looks exactly like that on the video. But he was telling me that creates shanks and fat shots. We worked (among other things) on keeping that knee flexed, and the final videos were much more flexed.

Have you considered - and it's something to consider rather than change to - that instead of concentrating on avoiding a fault - the locked right leg, it might be more productive to concentrate on the correct thing - which, to (badly) steal the_coach's analogy, is to press the ball of the left foot into the ground as if squeezing a sponge! To do that properly, and simply, the weight has to shift off the right leg, so the locking problem should disappear. Another solution is to ensure that the weight only loads/shifts (avoid swaying at all costs!) into the instep of the right foot and, to do that properly and easily, there has to be some flex in the right knee.

Again, worth trying to get thoughts that will naturally help seems much better than getting ones that require mechanical movements - and tension!

Also remember that what creates shanks and fat shots in YOUR swing is quite possibly something that creates a 'proper' sequence in someone else's! That's just the way different bodies work!

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
All very old pictures. No pro I've used have ever advocated straightening the right leg

Totally agree Re the old pictures Chris.

The fact still remains, some of the folk listed in that top row (...but not limited to) have some if the best, most fluid swings ever!

Sam Snead especially.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Totally agree Re the old pictures Chris.

The fact still remains, some of the folk listed in that top row (...but not limited to) have some if the best, most fluid swings ever!

Sam Snead especially.

Absolutely true Gareth, but players are more athletic these days and I can't think of anyone who swings that way now at the top level

Rumpokid

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I just want to vent my anger after last nights lesson.

A week ago Monday, I shot a personal best round my course, 86. Net 66. I was hitting the ball like a dream, and honestly, if I didn't get in a couple of bunkers, it could have been an 82.

Last week, I shot 95 at another course. I knew I was hitting the ball less-than-great, but still managed to get around. A few shanks & some fat shots were the bad ones.

Last night I had a lesson with the pro I've had my last 2 lessons with. Expecting him to tweak a few things, I went in, told him how well I was playing, and hit some balls.

He then told me I'd gotten the whole swing wrong, and spent the lesson teaching me a new swing!!!! I still had all the things I'd be taught by him last time in my head, so as you can imagine, the lesson was terrible. Although, by the end, I was able to hit my irons, my woods and driver was a no-no!

I'm so angry that, after working hard on swing changes, AND shooting a great score personally, that he can just throw it all away and want me to start again. I'm no pro, and I'm more than happy to shoot a round of mid-80's on a regular basis, I'm not trying to become a single handicapper.

I feel like the last 2 lessons were wasted money, if he now wants me to change the way I hit the ball.

AAAAARRRRRRRGGGHH!

:rant:
Get some bunker lessons off your pro...;)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Absolutely true Gareth, but players are more athletic these days and I can't think of anyone who swings that way now at the top level

golf-image-2-789528028.jpg

he hit this so so fat ;)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site

That's very true, but the number of majors won by the playes on the top row alone would suggest that it's not all bad.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
That's very true, but the number of majors won by the playes on the top row alone would suggest that it's not all bad.

Agreed Gareth, but I was just making the point that a pro would be unlikely to instruct to swing that way, my pro is a disciple of Hogan but never has suggested straightening the right leg at the top of the backswing like he often did as the new drivers etc need hitting on an upward swing path which may be more difficult from the a position

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
As a rule of thumb.... It's ALWAYS the students fault :mmm:

Allowing your right leg to straighten won't cause you to shank the ball - hitting the ball with the hosel of the club does that!

That said - just stick with what your pro is telling you..... or go find one that you trust.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have you considered - and it's something to consider rather than change to - that instead of concentrating on avoiding a fault - the locked right leg, it might be more productive to concentrate on the correct thing - which, to (badly) steal the_coach's analogy, is to press the ball of the left foot into the ground as if squeezing a sponge! To do that properly, and simply, the weight has to shift off the right leg, so the locking problem should disappear. Another solution is to ensure that the weight only loads/shifts (avoid swaying at all costs!) into the instep of the right foot and, to do that properly and easily, there has to be some flex in the right knee.

Again, worth trying to get thoughts that will naturally help seems much better than getting ones that require mechanical movements - and tension!

Also remember that what creates shanks and fat shots in YOUR swing is quite possibly something that creates a 'proper' sequence in someone else's! That's just the way different bodies work!

Interestingly enough, I played 9 holes last night and hit some really, beautiful shots - and I did exactly that. I felt the only way to stop the knee collapsing was to put a little more pressure on the right foot. I hit it so well - unfortunately, I then started to lean too much and it all went wrong - so maybe I need to practice that at the range!

V

vkurup

Sometimes things will get worse before they get better. Everytime I had lessons my game falls off the cliff. But if you stick to the fundamentals, it will pay dividends (assuming you are practising correctly)

PS: where did you play and take ur lessons (PM me if you dont want a public bashing).. Also you should have seen a PM that we cant play Tues next week.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
getting your weight onto your right side is a recipe for disaster.

Absolutely, this is probably one of the most destructive moves in the golf swing. Once you are stuck on the right you are doomed. I have been searching for a great ball strike that I lost since starting lessons and have found it, by staying central or 54/45 weight distribution to the left side. Have a look on YouTube for Sean Foley vids re this. He explains the issue well. Also, check out vids of tour players, they pretty much all stay central or favour the left a touch now. Turn back and turn through, take your legs out of it.