How much does poor company affect your game?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
This is NOT a rant, nor a dig a higher handicapped players :D

Not something I usually post about, but after Saturdays round, I thought I'd gauge some opinion.

One of our more regular playing parteners (Work collegue), to be frank, is not the best company on the golf course. The chap in question is a nice enough bloke off the course, has a handicap of 28, but has never, ever, played to it.... In 5 years of playing.

He is a serial club chucker/dropper, comes out with language that would make Frankie Boyle blush and has the uncanny ability of getting into peoples heads with his antics. He had one lesson, didn't work on the changes suggested and, as a result, has never improved.

Normally, when we play (Either a a 2, 3 or 4 ball), I can quite easily block his antics out. After I've hit my tee shot, my glove comes off and I let my mind wander. Look at scenery, listen to the nature, you get the idea. Get to my ball, glove goes back on, focus on my shot, hit the ball, glove comes off, rinse and repeat for 18 holes. We'll usually have a chat about this and that during the round, as most folk do on the golf course.

Saturday, however, was a different story. From his tee shot on the second hole, the swearing and dropping began. I couldn't switch off. Not because of him directly, but the effect he had on our other partner (.... Again, another work collegue).

Our other partner is a very, very steady player. He plays to the same handicap as me (14) and generally hits a good ball, but all the club dropping and swearing seemed to get to him more than usual. As a result, his game went into melt down. Arthur J's, fats to name just a few.

I think I started looking at this instead of what I do usually. In turn, my game suffered.

The club chucking and swearing went on from the second hole, right through to the 18th :mad:

Here's and example. 2nd tee shot is a short par 4. He sets up with his 3 wood, draws the club back, starts down from the top, hits the ground 2 feet behind the ball, the club bounces off the hard tee box, goes over the ball for a fresh air shot, into a full pirouette. After which he drops his club, next to his still tee'd ball, walks off the back of the tee box swearing and berating himself, before walking back to pick his club up, composing himself, then duffing the ball 30 yards, just about making the fairway.

After we finished out, myself and our other partner decided to play a few extra holes (.... Alone) our games were vastly different to the previous 18. Pars and birdies a pleny.

It's getting to the point now where, although we are good friends and work collegues, nobody wants to play with him because of his antics. We've both tried to explain to him that the mental side is equally, if not more important, than hitting the ball, he hears what we say, but doesn't listen and doesn't take it in. It's a shame really because he's a nice bloke off the course but turns in Mr Hyde with a golf club in his hand.

He is considering joining a different course where a few managers from work play (.... He was previously a member there and is also a manager where I work), so I suppose we'd only have to suffer it until subs are due in March :mad: .

Anyway, I digress. The point of my thread is not to belittle him, or take the proverbial.

The point of my thread, is as per the title. How much does poor company on the golf course affect your game?

Last edited:

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm like you normally whereas it doesn't generally affect my play just the enjoyment of the round,

The situation you have described is a tricky one as the chap is a good work colleague and fine off the course, makes it difficult to avoid when playing but if it's affect your/others game then, can only trouble in the future.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
you will have to ask the guys that have played with me!

I get your point though, too much "terrible" golf can get you down, searching for his ball, listening to the bull that comes out, the excuses, the not picking up even though you are playing stableford and he has already hit 8, the measurement by GPS of every shot...

I can only apologise to Imurg, Alex and Fish for a couple of weeks ago! although i did keep my golf tourrettes in check, i may have dropped a club or 2... and they had to help with some looking i hope it didnt effect their game too much, although my excuse was it was blooming hot!!

mikeb4

Head Pro
Visit site
it does affect your game going round with poor company, i do try and switch off though eventually it wears you down , equally on medal day its difficult to go round with mates, as you tend to not focus as much, just my opinion though

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bothers me a lot - see my previous posts about uber competitive stony face women in the game!

Not many club chuckers in the ladies game though but we have one player who gets all stressy and throws her arms in the air and then wants to tell you all about her bad shot as you prepare to take yours! Also makes (I don't think deliberately) really inappropriate comments like "you pulled that" (actually I pushed it!) or "ooh that's a bit left, is that the shot you have been worried about (well no actually not until you commented on it), "good drive but I don't fancy your next shot" and so on. I find it distracting and irritating and try to zone out of it but it's tricky on the greens when it's usually so quiet and she's either talking or whispering (which is louder than talking!) or lamenting the latest missed putt as you try to focus on yours.

I need to learn not to be so bothered by it but it isn't easy. General noise doesn't bother me but poor etiquette and bad behaviour does.

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
I used to let it affect me but I have conquered that demon and at the same time it changed how the speed of play affects me.

There were a few players at the club whose actions and play would affect my game, normally in a bad way, but I have learned to ignore these things and concentrate on my game.
One of these players is really good company but has a bad habit of talking until you actually start your swing. I asked him on several occasions to not do it and he would be fine for a couple of holes but would start doing it again. I can now ignore it while I setup and when I play against him I extend my waggle which stops him before I start my swing for real.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If it's getting to the point where it's affecting your game then I would be telling him just that. You work hard on your golf and I am sure you look forward to playing at the weekend so why let someone else spoil it for you.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
you will have to ask the guys that have played with me!

I get your point though, too much "terrible" golf can get you down, searching for his ball, listening to the bull that comes out, the excuses, the not picking up even though you are playing stableford and he has already hit 8, the measurement by GPS of every shot...

I can only apologise to Imurg, Alex and Fish for a couple of weeks ago! although i did keep my golf tourrettes in check, i may have dropped a club or 2... and they had to help with some looking i hope it didnt effect their game too much, although my excuse was it was blooming hot!!

No apologises are ever required Scott, I have played with you at least 3 times now so I know you can hit a decent ball but we ALL have days or periods when something creeps in and things don't go right, that's golf! I've had it now the last 3 rounds, mainly with my long irons or trying to work my hybrid into my game and its getting me down, especially after a great drive only to pull one into the cabbage, it happens.

I'm off to the range in a bit as I've been hitting some shots off the toe (I'm told), almost like a s***k, never ever had it before and don't know why or where its come from but I'm going to get rid of it or I'll be dropping out of some forthcoming meets/comps :(

I tend to walk off on my own after a bad shot, there may be a few expletives (at myself) but I just walk off in an attempt to get my head right and focus again.

@ OP, I'd let the next few months just work themselves out and promote and encourage his move to the other club ;)

Gazboy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If anything I thrive on it. If someone starts lobbing clubs and acting like a footballer then it really does get me firing on all 8 cylinders and I tend to play my best. My own weakness is that I get flustered easily on a busy course where all groups are waiting for the ones in front. The other thing that gets into my head is Angry Old Men looking for an argument, there is one club that we play at that is full of these silver Honey Badgers and it can take me a good few holes to get the adrenaline under control after witnessing or being subject to an irate pensioner blaming anyone but himself for his rubbish form.

Bomber69

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
This is NOT a rant, nor a dig a higher handicapped players :D

Not something I usually post about, but after Saturdays round, I thought I'd gauge some opinion.

One of our more regular playing parteners (Work collegue), to be frank, is not the best company on the golf course. The chap in question is a nice enough bloke off the course, has a handicap of 28, but has never, ever, played to it.... In 5 years of playing.

He is a serial club chucker/dropper, comes out with language that would make Frankie Boyle blush and has the uncanny ability of getting into peoples heads with his antics. He had one lesson, didn't work on the changes suggested and, as a result, has never improved.

Normally, when we play (Either a a 2, 3 or 4 ball), I can quite easily block his antics out. After I've hit my tee shot, my glove comes off and I let my mind wander. Look at scenery, listen to the nature, you get the idea. Get to my ball, glove goes back on, focus on my shot, hit the ball, glove comes off, rinse and repeat for 18 holes. We'll usually have a chat about this and that during the round, as most folk do on the golf course.

Saturday, however, was a different story. From his tee shot on the second hole, the swearing and dropping began. I couldn't switch off. Not because of him directly, but the effect he had on our other partner (.... Again, another work collegue).

Our other partner is a very, very steady player. He plays to the same handicap as me (14) and generally hits a good ball, but all the club dropping and swearing seemed to get to him more than usual. As a result, his game went into melt down. Arthur J's, fats to name just a few.

I think I started looking at this instead of what I do usually. In turn, my game suffered.

The club chucking and swearing went on from the second hole, right through to the 18th :mad:

Here's and example. 2nd tee shot is a short par 4. He sets up with his 3 wood, draws the club back, starts down from the top, hits the ground 2 feet behind the ball, the club bounces off the hard tee box, goes over the ball for a fresh air shot, into a full pirouette. After which he drops his club, next to his still tee'd ball, walks off the back of the tee box swearing and berating himself, before walking back to pick his club up, composing himself, then duffing the ball 30 yards, just about making the fairway.

After we finished out, myself and our other partner decided to play a few extra holes (.... Alone) our games were vastly different to the previous 18. Pars and birdies a pleny.

It's getting to the point now where, although we are good friends and work collegues, nobody wants to play with him because of his antics. We've both tried to explain to him that the mental side is equally, if not more important, than hitting the ball, he hears what we say, but doesn't listen and doesn't take it in. It's a shame really because he's a nice bloke off the course but turns in Mr Hyde with a golf club in his hand.

He is considering joining a different course where a few managers from work play (.... He was previously a member there and is also a manager where I work), so I suppose we'd only have to suffer it until subs are due in March :mad: .

Anyway, I digress. The point of my thread is not to belittle him, or take the proverbial.

The point of my thread, is as per the title. How much does poor company on the golf course affect your game?

Manager Monday - Friday & by all accounts a great guy, however Saturday - Sunday "weekend warrior" guys like this should not be let out on the course..........

No mention about how long your round took but I guess a lot longer than normal, Weekend Warriors destroying our game:swing:

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
It doesn't really affect me what other people are doing, it has no relation to my game. Blaming poor golf on what other people are doing is a poor excuse imo. Theres only one person hitting your golf ball (well should be anyway :) ).

If somebody im playing with is having a stinker I just try my best to encourage them and make them feel better as we know how soul destroying having a nightmare round is like. If somebody starts blowing up big style and really having a blowout I do my best not to laugh :D

I often call myself swear words if I hit a bad shots and have had a word with my ball in the past :rofl:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Manager Monday - Friday & by all accounts a great guy, however Saturday - Sunday "weekend warrior" guys like this should not be let out on the course..........

No mention about how long your round took but I guess a lot longer than normal, Weekend Warriors destroying our game:swing:

Who left the door open, quick grab the jacket and keys and get him back him...;)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site

You have no idea how true that is, especialy the part about time.

When I play with the other chap in our group, we're normally done and dusted in about 3.1/2 hours. That's not rushing round like loons either. Just a steady pace keeping up with play infront.

4 hours 40 minutes on Saturday :angry:

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am a weekend warrior, nowt wrong with us on the whole, dont judge a majority by a minorities antics!!!!!!!!

I find company has a massive bearing, if I play with my reg partner who is off 7, he chucks the odd club, has tourettes etc but its all in good gest and doesnt bother me in the slightest as we are mates away from golf and work colleagues so have banter daily. If its a drawn comp however and I dont really know the other player/s then I find it can be off putting.

Fish

Banned
Visit site

When I play with the other chap in our group, we're normally done and dusted in about 3.1/2 hours. That's not rushing round like loons either. Just a steady pace keeping up with play infront.

Well if you truly feel that strong about it then don't play with him any more...if it affects your enjoyment that much then you have to be honest to yourself and him, if he's a mate he'll understand, if not, tough titty.

Bomber69

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

I rest my case :thup:

Weekend Warriors, I just wish they would go paint balling instead:sbox:

Bomber69

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I am a weekend warrior, nowt wrong with us on the whole, dont judge a majority by a minorities antics!!!!!!!!

I find company has a massive bearing, if I play with my reg partner who is off 7, he chucks the odd club, has tourettes etc but its all in good gest and doesnt bother me in the slightest as we are mates away from golf and work colleagues so have banter daily. If its a drawn comp however and I dont really know the other player/s then I find it can be off putting.

You have crossed the first hurdle by admitting you are a "weekend warrior" well done that man:thup:

You see folks they do exist............

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Well if you truly feel that strong about it then don't play with him any more...if it affects your enjoyment that much then you have to be honest to yourself and him, if he's a mate he'll understand, if not, tough titty.

It's not so much a case of ruining a round Robin.

As I said in the OP, I can usually switch off from his antics, but when it affects the group as a whole that's not good.

He has a reputation at work as regards to his attitude so, as you can, imagine people don't want to play with him.

I don't normally have an issue, I hit my shot and switch off until I have to hit another. I just found it strange how I couldn't Saturday.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Have a quiet word AWAY from the golf course, where he'll be a little calmer. Make him aware of the impact its having on your game but ask him if there's anything you can do to help. By finishing with a question, rather than an accusation, you might engage with him and make him more receptive...