• Who needs grooves

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Somewhere in between

Votes: 20 40.0%

• Total voters

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Something that always puzzles me is the state of some people’s clubs.

The game is hard enough as it is without half the course filling your grooves, or worse, chunks of mud and grass stuck to the club face and ball.

Then when you see someone with clubs like this looking bemused as their ball rolls off the green because their chip didn’t have any spin. You can’t help but think, do they not know why 🤷🏼‍♂️

Usually these people have a towel attached to their bag that never seems to get used. Maybe it’s for decoration or like a baseball cap, they feel like they need one.

My FiL is a classic case of this. Often has a filthy ball, grooves packed with dirt and grips that are rock hard and shiny, will get mud in his club face when taking a practice swing then half wipe it off on the grass. But still expects to go out and shoot a good score.
He’ll sometimes give his clubs a clean if he’s playing a big comp.

Personally, my clubs are wiped down and cleaned after every shot. In summer that includes the grips too. I don’t need to wash them after or before a round.
I will occasionally give the grips a good scrub during the summer to keep them grippy.

These are mine after 17 holes in the mud yesterday. The 5 iron is a bit grubby. IMG_6645.jpegIMG_6646.jpeg

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Cleaned after the shot and at the end of the round to make sure I didn't miss a bit

If they preformed better filthy then Crud Filled would be Cally/TM's next marketing ploy... and it won't so they don't

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surely this should be in the golf part of the forum? However my clubs I try and clean after every round in winter

Summer maybe once a fortnight as don't get as dirty

Shoes are same , winter every other round

Summer when needed

Albo

Visit site
This is what me I’m guilty of, I tend not to take practice swings so that bit doesn’t apply, but often times I’m too rushed or puzzled at my last shot to clean the club.
An easy one to fix me thinks

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If my club gets covered in mud after a shot, I wipe it off on the towel - using groove brush if completely necessary.

As for actually cleaning the clubs properly at home though, only about 2 or 3 times a year I'm afraid.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Wiped clean after every shot, including the sole...I have a couple of towels and they need a serious wash every week.....
I might not worry about specks of mud in the very corners of the grooves, they're not going to make a difference
Every couple of weeks or so they get a proper scrub, including grips.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cleaned after a shot if the club looks muddy. Otherwise, left alone.

Cleaned after a round if they look muddy. Otherwise, could be weeks.

Clubs are pretty self cleaning really, like Cats Eyes :D

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Never clean grips, clean grooves with a brush though not often in winter when I'm only knocking it around and they get muddy anyway..

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
That exactly what I was going to write. Our pro always says this and gave me stick for not going on the course with one end of the towel wet!
I have a long towel, wet at both ends, dry in the middle.

One end is clean, one is dirty.

In the summer the clean end is for hands and grips.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
I clean my grooves after every shot, I have one of those pocket groove things.

It amazes me how many people don't pick and clean their balls this time of year too - you're just making the game so much harder!