Mizuno JPX921 hot metal pro

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Looking at these too. Done nothing but go backwards since I bought the Apex irons I'm using, think it's time to look at going back to game improvement irons, and these are what I've been thinking about. Just waiting on places to open up again so I can book a fitting.
you won't be dissapointed, played with a mate who's off plus 3 this morning who has PXG's and he had a shot with them a few times and was well impressed

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Are they the CF 16/19 Apex or more muscle back ?

CF 16 Apex. Great clubs, love 'em to bits, just can't seem to reach the dizzy scoring heights of the G15's I had prior. Had these for approaching 4 years, was 13 handicap when I got them, dropped back to 15.5 which has turned into 18 on WHS :cry:. Think it's time to go back to GI irons on the basis that they will try and keep my left hook a bit straighter :).

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
it is, but the clubs i was using were blades to a big jump. Actually i'm not finding tham that bad to look at, the benifits far outweighthe fuggleyness

Interested to know now you're a few rounds in, are you hitting more greens with them ? and do you think you're scoring better ?

Im a similar handicap and am tempted by something with a bit more help. JPX's, i210's , Srixons ZX5 and i quite like the look of the Mavrik pro too.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
not hitting more greens, was pretty steady with my irons anyway, just hitting less club into them. it makes a big difference from having to hit your sunday best 5 iron when now a 7 irons will do the job

DCB

Visit site
I picked up a used set of HM 900s a couple of years back and they quite a difference with my length of shot. Quite happy to keep a forged PW & 9 iron in the bag at times for the gentle finessed shots around the green, but the HMs have given me back distance I lost on the longer clubs. Interesting to hear how you're getting on with them Patrick. Different from the MP offering, but, if it makes the game easier, why not.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
got up late this morning so missed golf at Nairn.went to the driving range instead to have a look at the distances on my new irons with the sims.

one thing i did find was if i used the tee it went 20 yards further carry.... with every club. it was a real tee as well not the rubber thing. i have a lump of blue tac i uses to stick a wooden tee in if i hit off tees on range mats??

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
got up late this morning so missed golf at Nairn.went to the driving range instead to have a look at the distances on my new irons with the sims.

one thing i did find was if i used the tee it went 20 yards further carry.... with every club. it was a real tee as well not the rubber thing. i have a lump of blue tac i uses to stick a wooden tee in if i hit off tees on range mats??

Hi Patrick,

do you mean Taylormade Sims, or simulator? With regards to the 20 yards, do you mean 20 yards more than playing off the deck? I'm not looking for any more distance specifically, can hit the Apex far enough, I'm after keeping the hook out of play. To be fair, my hook is not as bad as it was a year or more back, but it does mysteriously appear from time to time, so any help in minimizing it will be good.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hi Patrick,

do you mean Taylormade Sims, or simulator? With regards to the 20 yards, do you mean 20 yards more than playing off the deck? I'm not looking for any more distance specifically, can hit the Apex far enough, I'm after keeping the hook out of play. To be fair, my hook is not as bad as it was a year or more back, but it does mysteriously appear from time to time, so any help in minimizing it will be good.
a simulator, comp to off the deck the difference was staggering not sure how accurate these things are TBH.

i'm not sure how iron would cure a hook, i still managed a few

Last edited:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
a simulator, comp to off the deck the difference was staggering not sure how accurate these things are TBH.

i'm not sure how iron would cure a hook, i still managed a few

Not trying to cure a hook with the clubs, but feel that my swing is a bit unpredictable, so any forgiveness is welcome. Don't think the Apex are that forgiving. I always said that my hook appeared after I got them, was not aware of it with the G15's I had beforehand. Everyone else blames the workman, not the tools, but I still believe that some tools are easier to use than others :). If they don't show any improvement in the fitting, then I'll leave well alone.... unless I'm lured by the shiney glint of new irons :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I moved from blades to ap3 last year. Crazy long irons. Dont really see too many issues apart from my 52 wedge. 50 would be better.

Along with the long distance the most notable thing is the forgiveness. Slightly mistruck irons still get there rather than coming up a fair bit short.