Mizuno JPX921 hot metal pro

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
after having blades the last 5 years or so felt like it was time for something more forgiving.

after trying Srixons and even a go of some pings, i liked the lokk of the new Mizuno JPX 921.

spent a good hour and half going through all 4 head opetions with diferent shafts, the one that came our streets ahead were the hot metal Pro.jpx1.jpgjpx2.jpg

as you can see from the photo;s above a real change.
They do look very chunky esp 4 and 5 irons, but the ball speed in the fitting was 10 to 15 more than the MP4, not to be sneezed at. coupled with a much softer lighter shaft in the ProgectX LZ115g, comp to the ctaper 120 in the blades. lofts are stronger with the PW at 45 i think and the 4 iron 19, which was stronger then the 3 iron in the blades.
Give a lead time of 25 days, but they turned up around a month later. i couldn't wait to try them

had my first game with them last week at Dornoch, with no real idea how far the new clubs would go. i don;t think i've ever been through the back of so many greens at Dornoch usually its short. was taking 2 clubs less and was still at times long, except with the PW whic was about 10 yards longer

What can i say, other than Wow, they go high and straight and at least 2 clubs longer than the MP4, this coupled with a the temp up here has been on the cold side so would imagine the ball would travel less distance, so could be further once we get back to warmer temps next summer.
They do have quite a thick top line, but actually, its doesn't bother me as much as i thought it would. feel of the club isn't too bad though you don't get the same feeling as when you flush it out the middle of a forged club. of course these ar caste clubs, but the sound off them isn't really any diff to the forged irons, I was expecting to have a big gap between the PW and my 52, but the PW was easier to take some off which i struggled with doing with the blade. 4 iron has come out low a couple of times, but really pinged off the face and went long, way longer than i espected with a low flight.

another plus was they 9 and pw are quite nice to chip and pitch with, which wasn't the case with the JPX 825 pro i had before the Mp4, they would just ping off the face and difficult to control any distance with chips.

I have to say so far i'm over the moon with them and the money was well spent

D

Deleted member 3432

Certainly gone from one extreme to another.

On your way to some Ping G something or other for your next set ;)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
You haven't played hot, cup-face irons before ?
i had JPX 825 pro briefly, those were the on;y clubs ive have issue with, two shots from the middle of the fairway that went some 20/30 yards further than intended and of course some chips that would rocket off the face through the green.. mabe a shock coming as ive used bladed forged clubs most of the time i've played

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i suppose its something i will not be worried about at the moment with by distance dropping quite a bit over the last few years, lost 10 yards with my irons in the last 2 years alone, long is always better than short at my home track:LOL:... so far i'm over the moon with them, i feel like a proper golfer hitting an 8 iron 160... even if it really is a 7 anyway:unsure:(y)

azazel

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If I may ask, when did you order them? I ordered a set of MP20 HMB mid October and was told it might be three weeks - which I always thought optimistic and 30 days seemed more likely - but I've seen chat elsewhere about massive delays with Mizuno lately. I haven't been told of any hold ups mind you so we'll see, tomorrow is four weeks from the date of order.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i had the fitting 28th Sept, but the pro didn't plave the order till 4th Oct, got them last tues the 3rd so just under a month. he chased Mizuno the week before which would have been 25 days and told there was a shortage of shafts!!

Zig

Visit site
Sounds like money well spent - hope you have loads of fun with them!

One quick question... have you noticed any difference in how they react when they hit the green? The only thing putting me off getting similar set is I've been told they hit the deck with lots of release and then run through greens. Like Dornoch, I play on a links and it'd be a bit of a nightmare combo of hard greens/topspin overdose! ;)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

One quick question... have you noticed any difference in how they react when they hit the green? The only thing putting me off getting similar set is I've been told they hit the deck with lots of release and then run through greens. Like Dornoch, I play on a links and it'd be a bit of a nightmare combo of hard greens/topspin overdose! ;)
hard to say, i've been using a softer ball this year, the qstar, that def runs out more, but on rock hard greens even the blades i have wouldn't stop, 9 a PW have both stopped withing a couple of feet and a 7 iron it hit yesterday on the 6th maybe ran 10 feet past from its PM

Reactions: Zig
D

Deleted member 3432

Club fitter should be ensuring the clubs have the optimum spin numbers and decent angles to give you the best chance of controlling the ball on landing although its not going to stop quickly downwind on a links especially when its firm.

Only issue with the long distances some of these irons are carrying is matching in pitching wedge on the set to gap and other wedges, which is why a blended set could be a good option.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Club fitter should be ensuring the clubs have the optimum spin numbers and decent angles to give you the best chance of controlling the ball on landing although its not going to stop quickly downwind on a links especially when its firm.

Only issue with the long distances some of these irons are carrying is matching in pitching wedge on the set to gap and other wedges, which is why a blended set could be a good option.
i'd agree about stoppping the ball, had plenty of times when you still had to play short with wedges.

the good thing with my new clubs is the PW is only a couple of deg stronger than my old one so only slightly longer. sticking with my 52 and 58 at the moment might think about either bending the 52 to 50 or getting a 50 next season

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Looking at these too. Done nothing but go backwards since I bought the Apex irons I'm using, think it's time to look at going back to game improvement irons, and these are what I've been thinking about. Just waiting on places to open up again so I can book a fitting.