Advice on a new driver and 5 wood for a returning golfer

Stuey2407

Visit site
I am returning to golf after about 12 years and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I believe I am striking the ball better and more consistently than I ever have before.

My irons are Cobra SSi which were custom fitted about 15 years ago and I have a Taylor Made Burner Driver and 5 wood from about c.1999. The irons have been well looked after and could probably just use some new grips. I am going to get the lie checked as they originally had a 2 degree toe up when they were fitted and I am sure my swing has changed (hopefully for the better).
The grips on the driver and 5 wood really need replacing as even after a good scrub they feel a bit slippy and I feel that I am having to grip them too tightly. The local pro shop said it’s probably a good time to think about changing the woods as the bubble shaft make it hard to regroup and technology has moved on so much in 20 years I could get some better for a reasonable price. It is also Christmas. So the question is what to replace them with? Replacing the 5 wood would be more value as I generally take the 3 wood instead of a driver.
I have been reading good things about the Cobra F8 which can be had for around £99 at the moment. I am going to go to the local pro shop and hit a few before buying but what other clubs should I be looking at. If that works out I may also look at the driver from the same range.
Any advice would be appreciated.

User20204

Visit site
F8 is a great club but truth be told, there aren't many bad clubs being made nowadays by all the top manufactures and I mean in the woods department, it's more a matter of preference and budget. It's not until the irons there is a considerable difference depending what irons and particular make have.

In summary, the F8 is excellent, you won't go far wrong.

HTH

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Go with what suits your eye. Some fairways are shallow and some are deep faced just determine what you prefer and go and hit. Also remember some brands will command greater prices but the difference is negligible. Don’t be afraid to walk away with the specs and look for secondhand.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Aha, a fellow bubbleshaft enthusiast.?
I have a couple of those in the loft, but I have the 7 wood bubbleshaft in my bag. It is a lovely club, feels just right. And when the swing goes awry ( frequently ?), it is the club which brings me back on track.
The other bubbleshafts are OK, but not like my lovely 7 wood.