How Does Anyone Play Well In Winter?

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
I generally score better over winter, the long grass in the summer eats up my balls due to my erratic driving, whilst I can’t match any of the distances I read online, I hit it long enough generally to be able to theoretically hit the greens in reg, I’m just wayward

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I generally score better over winter, the long grass in the summer eats up my balls due to my erratic driving, whilst I can’t match any of the distances I read online, I hit it long enough generally to be able to theoretically hit the greens in reg, I’m just wayward

I think the wetter fairways and shorter rough do make it easier and I am definitely able to progress even poor drives down the hole. There are some longer par 4's that I can't reach but playing conservatively and placing the second into a good position means a good third can lead to pars anyway. The wilder drives can still get gobbled up if you go too far offline (rightly) but in general its easier to move the ball round

Mandofred

Visit site
Things are harder distance-wise for me during the winter. I figure there are 6 greens I either can't get to in regulation, or need a cracking great shot to even have a chance. During the summer there is only 1 hole I need a miracle to get to.....the others I can get some roll out on shots that will get me there fairly regularly.

Wouldn't you know I made a swing change out on the practice field Monday morning that seemed to really help...even a little more distance. Now if I can just remember in February.....

4LEX

Visit site
I usually score better in winter as it's short courses and target golf. If you hit fairways with preferred lies and it's easy. The only issue is slow and bobbly greens.

Played at The Oxfordshire the other day and shot level par but the conditions weren't even winter, a total mud bath.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So basically I've learned that if you hit the ball miles, and/or your course has much shorter winter tees then you're fine. I have neither of these advantages so I guess I'm destined to always be cack in winter. :LOL: Oh well. Bad golf is always better than no golf. :(

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
The only part of winter golf that's an issue for me (and for everyone else) is going to be frozen greens. Frozen greens are pretty much unplayable for pretty much everyone.

As long as you're playing a course that holds up well in the winter then there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to continue to put a decent score together. Preferred lies and yellow tees instead of whites should be compensating a bit for the ball not rolling out as much.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The only part of winter golf that's an issue for me (and for everyone else) is going to be frozen greens. Frozen greens are pretty much unplayable for pretty much everyone.

As long as you're playing a course that holds up well in the winter then there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to continue to put a decent score together. Preferred lies and yellow tees instead of whites should be compensating a bit for the ball not rolling out as much.
Preferred lies isn't always that helpful, you're still putting the ball down on wet mud in a lot of cases. And most holes the difference between white and yellow tees is about 4 yards. :LOL:

D

Deleted member 3432

So basically I've learned that if you hit the ball miles, and/or your course has much shorter winter tees then you're fine. I have neither of these advantages so I guess I'm destined to always be cack in winter. :LOL: Oh well. Bad golf is always better than no golf. :(

Loose the slice, thats 20 yards picked up for a start..

Get some lessons to improve swing and make it more effiicient, as above.

Get out the speed sticks and start swishing, thats 10 yards...

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If your fairways are so bad that a preferred lie is still putting the ball on mud then you don't need to be worrying about playing well or putting a score together.
It's not golf, it's a walk in the fresh air.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

I'm going to disagree with your assumption ?

I beat my best score of the year by 5 shots in my last round. We played a full length course,albeit of slightly forward tees (6147 yards). It was very cold, very wet and a bit windy. My drives into the wind were in some cases less than 200 yards, and a touch over 200 with the wind behind. But I hit 11 of 14 fairways meaning I could clean and place my ball in a nice spot. Then pick my way up the rest of the hole.
After watching a lot of Golf Sidekick on YouTube I really tried to stick to no hero golf. And it worked.

Having some irons with a fat sole and plenty of bounce is helping me, compared to my old irons with a thin sole and a sharp leading edge.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
Preferred lies isn't always that helpful, you're still putting the ball down on wet mud in a lot of cases. And most holes the difference between white and yellow tees is about 4 yards. :LOL:

I'd say both of your points there then are about the golf course you're playing. My course sees most holes offering a very different tee shot from the yellows compared to the whites and the fairways are not muddy at all.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
If your fairways are so bad that a preferred lie is still putting the ball on mud then you don't need to be worrying about playing well or putting a score together.

Might have to rename my "golf" club to "walking club" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

i played yesterday and the course was rock solid, it wasn't really golf but an enjoyable walk chat with a mate.

thats the benifit of membership which i know Orikoru has only just done, you do have the luxury for just a walk and swing a club

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
i played yesterday and the course was rock solid, it wasn't really golf but an enjoyable walk chat with a mate.

thats the benifit of membership which i know Orikoru has only just done, you do have the luxury for just a walk and swing a club
Yeah and I had another two tee times booked on Tuesday just gone and this Sunday before Boris cancelled them for me. :cautious:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd happily play off the reds at my place in winter, 5,800 yds. That would be spot on. Sadly I doubt it would be allowed. We really need to beat the stigma of gender being linked to tees.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd happily play off the reds at my place in winter, 5,800 yds. That would be spot on. Sadly I doubt it would be allowed. We really need to beat the stigma of gender being linked to tees.
I've thought about doing that before, just for a laugh really. But you just know someone or other will spot you and have a go or report you or something. :LOL: The difference is huge on some holes at my new course. First hole is 174 yards off yellows - off reds only 124!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've thought about doing that before, just for a laugh really. But you just know someone or other will spot you and have a go or report you or something. :LOL: The difference is huge on some holes at my new course. First hole is 174 yards off yellows - off reds only 124!
We don't have any gender Spec tee's any longer all are now rated for Men and Women, the club are trying to get more seniors to play from the greens (old ladies tee locations) and new even shorter silvers. might be worth checking with your new club, you never know?

sunshine

Visit site

Where Orikoru plays / played it's less than 5,800 yards off the white tees, so distance isn't a major factor in difficulty. The yellow tees at Haste Hill are 10-20 yards forward from the whites. On a short course I think this is a good compromise, especially as the greens are soft so the target is much easier.

Personally I find I lose more than 20 yards on my drives in winter: carry is down and then no roll. I lay up a lot more on long par fours in winter and rely on my short game, because it is much much easier to get up and down in winter conditions.

Having said all this, if the course is a mud bath then scoring is irrelevant, you just have to treat it as a walk and some fresh air.

Mandofred

Visit site
I made a suggestion a time or two about just doing something different during the winter months. Why not play from the forward tees?.....I just got laughed at. "It's not done...." Golf really doesn't like any change.......