Charlie Woods

Fore Right

Visit site
Charlie Woods has tried to pre qualify for the Cognizant Classic today , formerly the Honda Classic.

The standard in PGA Tour qualifiers is insanely high so cant help but think this is too much too soon and putting far too much pressure and expectation on the kid.
PGA Tour socials had video of him arriving and hitting his 1st tee shot etc.

Shot +16

Just leave the kid alone until he actually gets to a standard to warrant a possible pro career.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
He must have Tiger advising him and he would have stopped him doing it if he thought it was a bad idea? He must have thought it was worth letting him see what he'll be up against.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He must have Tiger advising him and he would have stopped him doing it if he thought it was a bad idea? He must have thought it was worth letting him see what he'll be up against.

Maybe a reality check for him , I'm sure tiger knows what he doing .. you don't get that successful without learning a bit of insight on the way

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
He's got a taste, realises he's not at the required level and will either go away and mature and get bigger and come back or he may not actually be good enough to make the grade. Either way I hope this was very much a one off for now

D

Deleted member 15344

Already being discussed here 🤷‍♂️

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He's got a taste, realises he's not at the required level and will either go away and mature and get bigger and come back or he may not actually be good enough to make the grade. Either way I hope this was very much a one off for now

What an opportunity for learning aswell

I reckon he will come back strong

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
Big potential to be the next Macaulay Culkin rather than Tiger imho.

Too much expectation for a kid, trouble will start when he realises he can't live up to it. Would be a fairytale if he made it but he is up against, I hope he can take a back seat and live his life out of the spotlight tbh

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Big potential to be the next Macaulay Culkin rather than Tiger imho.

Too much expectation for a kid, trouble will start when he realises he can't live up to it. Would be a fairytale if he made it but he is up against, I hope he can take a back seat and live his life out of the spotlight tbh
This was my thinking,especially with the life Tiger has led.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s all experience. He’s got to start somewhere, I don’t see the problem.

The reality for him is he’ll need to be used to the attention if he wants to be a pro golfer. So the more experience of that he gets, the better I would say. He’s got to learn to deal with it, so why not start that process now rather than in 5 years time?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I came across some sons of famous fathers in my sporting life.

It's both a blessing and a curse. It sure opens doors, but the associated pressure is awful.

One in particular had a great career, the other changed sports and eventually did ok.

He is not Tiger, the media need to stop "blowing smoke" and give him space to be his own man.

He deserves massive credit for giving it a go at his age. Although, I'm not sure it was sensible.

D

Deleted member 35504

Charlie Woods has tried to pre qualify for the Cognizant Classic today , formerly the Honda Classic.

The standard in PGA Tour qualifiers is insanely high so cant help but think this is too much too soon and putting far too much pressure and expectation on the kid.
PGA Tour socials had video of him arriving and hitting his 1st tee shot etc.

Shot +16

Just leave the kid alone until he actually gets to a standard to warrant a possible pro career.
Disagree with all of that.

He's got nothing to lose, just go and have a try and now he's not made it he'll come and have another go.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Disagree with all of that.

He's got nothing to lose, just go and have a try and now he's not made it he'll come and have another go.

I agree with you.

He's had the opportunity to measure himself against the standard he wants to reach/surpass.

Hopefully he'll have taken a lot from the experience and will take any disappointment he might have to fuel him to continue improving.

I'm sure he wouldn't have been allowed to take the opportunity had his advisors (parents etc) thought he was going to react negatively if he didn't do well.

Springveldt

Visit site
I came across some sons of famous fathers in my sporting life.

It's both a blessing and a curse. It sure opens doors, but the associated pressure is awful.

One in particular had a great career, the other changed sports and eventually did ok.

He is not Tiger, the media need to stop "blowing smoke" and give him space to be his own man.

He deserves massive credit for giving it a go at his age. Although, I'm not sure it was sensible.
I always remember a Scottish football pundit talking about Paul Dalglish and the pressure he was under. He said "Paul could pick the ball up at the half way line, beat 6 players then hit the post and people will say 'His dad would have scored that'".

D

Deleted member 15344

Guys, the PIP money will have been a factor in Team Woods decision. The 12 probably even gave it a little boost.

Such a really poor cynic outlook , the guy is 15 and you think his father is using him to gain more money via the PIP

That’s embarrassing

Your tunnel vision in all aspects outside LIV is clouding any sensible judgement

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I always remember a Scottish football pundit talking about Paul Dalglish and the pressure he was under. He said "Paul could pick the ball up at the half way line, beat 6 players then hit the post and people will say 'His dad would have scored that'".
As a norwich fan, I can confirm there was never any danger of Paul dalglish beating 6 players, let alone then managing to hit the post. Maybe a post on the roof of the stand?