World Cup of Golf - is Knox doing the right thing?

U

User62651

Re World Cup of Golf coming up, the 2 man international team event, Scotlands best ranked player is Russell Knox so he and he alone selects his playing partner. He has chosen a buddy from his youth/college days who is ranked in the 300's, pretty much an unknown outside the Challenge Tour. Do you think Knox is belittling the tournament by not picking a stronger partner like Martin Laird or is he right to give his buddy a shot at some glory and some decent £££?
To me seems like a nice thing to do and some fun for them both but also seems like he's maybe not that bothered about winning it, money too easy on the PGA tour maybe? Is it a mickey mouse exhibition event or not?
I happen to have played a club 36 hole open paired up with this guy Duncan Stewart maybe 10 years ago. He's very good clearly but good is relative although he has secured his European Tour Card for next season after years and years of journeyman golf.
BBC sport website covering this -http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/37672411

Interested to hear thoughts.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
there is every chance he asked Laird or Gallagher, but i say fairplay to him. Its not like this guy cant play golf, he's got a tour card for next year already.

The event is a bit of a joke anyway, so its great someone else benefits!

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I was thinking 'fair play' to him, until I read the prominent quote regarding the £28k each for finishing last - doesn't strike me like they have eyes on winning the thing. But maybe being assured of a good payday regardless, he'll perform superbly so wish them well!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If I had a mate, who could get me a guaranteed 28k for a few days work, I'd be annoyed if he didn't ask me, and instead asked someone else, to whom 28k is nothing much.

D

Deleted member 15344

In fairness to him he isn't flooded with choices

No one else in the top 100

Laird is next at 134 then Warren at 170 odd then Ramsey at 190 , Gallacher is at 400 in the world

Seems a very dry pool to pick from for him

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't know the competition. Maybe he is helping a mate out, maybe not. The system allows him to do it though so that means he has earned the right. Perhaps he sees it as a seasons ending bit of fun where he can have a nice, relaxed few rounds with a mate knowing a decent run will really help that mate out. May not make the sponsors happy but I like to think of it as something decent, helping a friend.

U

User62651

In fairness to him he isn't flooded with choices

No one else in the top 100

Laird is next at 134 then Warren at 170 odd then Ramsey at 190 , Gallacher is at 400 in the world

Seems a very dry pool to pick from for him

I did not realize things were that bad :confused:, appauling stats really.

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If he's helping a mate (who's gonna be new out on tour) for a minimum £28K and then there aren't many other options in what isn't a massive tournament anyway, then fair play to him. Nice gesture.

D

Deleted member 15344

I did not realize things were that bad :confused:, appauling stats really.

It doesn't look good - especially when the top two Scottish Golfers have done most of the golf growing in the states ?

A few years back a lot was made of not many top English golfers coming through the ranks and now the Top 100 is littered with them - a few major winners plus a few guys that got to No1 in the world

Does Scotland have a problem bringing through top golfers ? Are there any others on the horizon ? Is the future bleak

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Seems very strange (and a little alarming) that Scotland don't seem to be bringing players through to the top level and those that are there aren't prominent in the world rankings. Why not let Knox invite a mate to play (and I'll wager they won't finish last and therefore pocket more than 28K) and give this guy a taste of the bigger stage and see what he can do with it

Bobirdie

Journeyman Pro
www.williamsdoubleglazing.co.uk
Homer.
Don't know if its the same down south or not but from what I hear up here you need to put brown envelopes into certain peoples hands to get somewhere.

I know of someone how is in the top 20 in the amateur world rankings and he cant get in the walker cup team.

Possibly one of the reasons were not bringing through the best players

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does seem an odd thing to do but fair play, if the boy is going to be playing in the big leagues next year then might as well get him started early. If the others didn't want to do it, or Russell didn't feel like he gets on as well with them then pick someone you do. It might help them to a higher finish.

As for Scottish golfers hopefully Grant Forrest and Ewen Ferguson will kick on and get on up the rankings, both are through first stage of Q School I believe and Forrest made the cut at the Dunhill links and seems to be very comfortable, can see them both doing an Andy Sullivan and having a quiet few years then coming through with a few wins.