World Cup of Golf

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

Whilst the circus act is dominating the headlines there are actually a number of real golf tournaments going on - one is the World Cup of Golf which imo should be where the focus is , it’s a shame that what could be a great format is being under valued and not really supported by the top guys , but there are still some good players there. The course looks a peach but shame it got hit by torrential rain.

Hatton and Poulter are playing for England and Hatton having a little tantrum
https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news/tour-news/tyrrell-hatton-smashes-tee-marker-169472

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I think they should to change the schedule to 1 event every 2 years and have it occupy the Ryder Cup time slot in non-Ryder Cup years.

Maybe also have 2 teams for some of the top nations so that it feels like more of a tour event, rather than a limited field exhibition.

Obviously money makes the world go round - and they seem to have got a decent prize fund together, but having it this late in the season in Australia, it is going to be tough for a lot of players to commit - especially most of the top US based players and even more so the guys playing US and Euro schedules.

Also - not sure if World Ranking points are on offer - but they should be and make them quite generous, as this might also focus the minds of those who elect not to participate.
And also have it count as a qualifying event on the tours (again, not sure if they do already, but it makes sense to do this).

In years gone past the top players turned up (and won) the event - but when you start handing out $15m to the guy who has been most consistent over the PGA tour season (not even necessarily won much) - it really means that a lot of other events are fighting for oxygen and the top players can only play so many weeks of the year and those that can, will be selfish with their schedule.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Its always been undervalued in recent years although its on Sky so not sure how you can say there isn't a focus on there. If the top players don't want to put themselves out for it, then of course it'll struggle to get column inches and you can't blame the Woods/Mickleson game for solely switching attention. Look at the last time it was played (2016) and going from memory I think England had Chris Wood and Andy Sullivan. Good ET pros but surely not in the world elite. The US side I think was Fowler and Jimmy Walker and gain solid players but not the very best. Denmark won it with Kjeldsen and Olesen last time which is a decent side to put out

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I think they should to change the schedule to 1 event every 2 years and have it occupy the Ryder Cup time slot in non-Ryder Cup years.

Maybe also have 2 teams for some of the top nations so that it feels like more of a tour event, rather than a limited field exhibition.

Obviously money makes the world go round - and they seem to have got a decent prize fund together, but having it this late in the season in Australia, it is going to be tough for a lot of players to commit - especially most of the top US based players and even more so the guys playing US and Euro schedules.

Also - not sure if World Ranking points are on offer - but they should be and make them quite generous, as this might also focus the minds of those who elect not to participate.
And also have it count as a qualifying event on the tours (again, not sure if they do already, but it makes sense to do this).

In years gone past the top players turned up (and won) the event - but when you start handing out $15m to the guy who has been most consistent over the PGA tour season (not even necessarily won much) - it really means that a lot of other events are fighting for oxygen and the top players can only play so many weeks of the year and those that can, will be selfish with their schedule.

Would ypu allow Brazil or Germany to play two teams in the "soccer" world cup?

World Cup of Golf is exactly that, nobody forces players to play and sadly for a lot national pride isn't enough to entice them anymore. Without being cheeky I think most of your post is pie in the sky stuff.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Would ypu allow Brazil or Germany to play two teams in the "soccer" world cup?

World Cup of Golf is exactly that, nobody forces players to play and sadly for a lot national pride isn't enough to entice them anymore. Without being cheeky I think most of your post is pie in the sky stuff.

Golf is not football and no, I wouldn't do this for a football World Cup when each nation can pick their best 23 man squad and go through 2 year qualifying campaigns.

We are talking about 2 man teams representing countries that have a dozen or more players in the top 100 - in the case of USA and England. So maybe allowing an extra 4 or 6 players into the event to increase the quality of the field will help the competition.

I'd liken it more to the Champions League that has more participants and is a better tournament for having the top 64 teams, rather than just 16 or so league winners. Clearly the 3rd or 4th placed team in Spain is going to have a better chance of winning this than the champions of Slovakia, Scotland, Norway etc.

Agree they won't make these changes, but it was just my ideas on how it could be improved.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Adding additional teams for some nations would devalue the win in my opinion. If you have two England teams and one of them won, you would need to have the asterisk that England 2 won instead of how it is that England won.

Even if you move the date to the Ryder Cup slot, I don't think it would change the big guys playing. As with how the seasons work now, the Americans will have finished their season and the Europeans would still be in the mix leading up to the final series.

Wolf

Visit site
Further proof of why I can't take to Tyrell Hatton.

I like the idea of the world Cup but they could do more to promote it, perhaps the winning nation should become the next tournament hosts this would see it move around more to different audiences

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Further proof of why I can't take to Tyrell Hatton.

I like the idea of the world Cup but they could do more to promote it, perhaps the winning nation should become the next tournament hosts this would see it move around more to different audiences

Aye any of the home nation's in last week of November, down the links in 4 degree's, 30+ winds and bumpy greens.

Sort the men from the boys!

👍😂😂

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Whilst the circus act is dominating the headlines

Would that be the circus act that you just can’t stop talking about?

Just don’t watch it or discuss it then you won’t have to get so blooming upset by it.
Watch something else,spend time with your family.
It’ll all be over in the morning 😉

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Just saw the Hatton incident.

He needs banned for 5 tournaments, that'll sort him out. I'm all for guys showing a bit of emotion but smashing up tee boxes live on TV isn't acceptable at all in my books.

Spoilt brat springs to mind more than frustration with him.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
[QUOTE="Jacko_G, post: 1916416, Without being cheeky I think most of your post is pie in the sky stuff.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean posts ?