LET playing 30 games for total of £31m

evemccc

Visit site
Just shooting from the hip here - why not have every 4th group female golfers in a standard format event. With a 50% cut - like the fellas. So around 39 ladies in the starting field - with around ten going through to the Saturday and Sunday - where they compete alongside the blokes. It really wouldn't be too hard to give them tee positions that are representative of their ave distance. I'm not talking about The Open, but I think it would be a welcome addition at some of the less prestigious events.
If you can find a way to incorporate mixed genders into any proffesional sport then it has to be applauded, and golf is 90% of the way there already.

Exactly

Mixed Doubles in tennis is hardly the Blue Riband event but it is a good format and certainly ‘works’ - I think Mixed Foursomes would be the way forward with golf..

Forget about the boredom of Pro-Ams and put in a Mixed Foursome the day before a Tour event or instead of another day of practice

D

Deleted member 15344

Exactly

Mixed Doubles in tennis is hardly the Blue Riband event but it is a good format and certainly ‘works’ - I think Mixed Foursomes would be the way forward with golf..

Forget about the boredom of Pro-Ams and put in a Mixed Foursome the day before a Tour event or instead of another day of practice

Not sure which Pro Ams you are talking about but the main ones are there for a reason - raising a lot of money for local charities and also places for the sponsers that put the money to provide the prize fund

the crowds flock to see the Pro Am at Wentworth for example

If there was any desire within the professional game to have mixed formats then events would have already taken place - they tried a version in the 6’s and it didn’t work

What is encouraging is the days before some of the events will the G4D Tour which is for disabled golfers - they have 8 events I think and I hope Sky broadcast those

AussieKB

Visit site
Moving away from the Pro's a lot of our local club Opens out here in OZ are changing from Men only to mixed individual, due to them not be fully subscribed, one event I play in was Men only with a long waiting list, then over time it got so small that you could turn up on the day and get a start. Not sure why the change.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Again, away from the pro's but how many of you all are playing mixed events? I've not played in a single sex event for about 8 years, as both a club and society member. Quite rightly, that's the way the sport should be headed at club level, so there's no reason why we shouldn't see it become more commonplace at pro-level is their - personally I'd love to see the top female golfers lining up and competing alongside the men.

D

Deleted member 15344

Again, away from the pro's but how many of you all are playing mixed events? I've not played in a single sex event for about 8 years, as both a club and society member. Quite rightly, that's the way the sport should be headed at club level, so there's no reason why we shouldn't see it become more commonplace at pro-level is their - personally I'd love to see the top female golfers lining up and competing alongside the men.

Most of our events are single sex - a few of the medals are open to all , the Mixed Comps are mainly the domain for the married couples

At club level a handicap system is in place to try and make it balanced

At pro level there is no handicap system- you are not going to see the top players “competing” against each other beyond as commonplace because it’s very hard to get any level playing field unless they all play exactly the same course - then it’s level. Pros aren’t going to start playing mixed foursomes , Greensomes etc.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The reality is though, if the pro's are combining then it effectively has to be a handicap comp to make it fair. The tees will be different, the driving distances make that necessary. I don't want to see handicap golf at pro level, I want to see the best player win on a level playing field. I don't want the game manipulated in the pro's

At amateur, club level, I'd be very happy with weekly comps being mixed.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
The reality is though, if the pro's are combining then it effectively has to be a handicap comp to make it fair. The tees will be different, the driving distances make that necessary. I don't want to see handicap golf at pro level, I want to see the best player win on a level playing field. I don't want the game manipulated in the pro's

At amateur, club level, I'd be very happy with weekly comps being mixed.

Well, amateur golf has always been handicapped, but mixed events still use seperate tees for gender. There's no reason why you couldn't have a scratch event using different tees to allow for differences in driving distance. I'd imagine it would be quite interesting to see how proffesional men and women would compare playing in the same tournaments. From 100 yards or so in, there should be very little difference .

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Well, amateur golf has always been handicapped, but mixed events still use seperate tees for gender. There's no reason why you couldn't have a scratch event using different tees to allow for differences in driving distance. I'd imagine it would be quite interesting to see how proffesional men and women would compare playing in the same tournaments. From 100 yards or so in, there should be very little difference .
They played one last year on DPWT....Linn Grant beat the men by something like 9 shots..lots of people were very unhappy and dismissive..
The fact that she beat the next best female by 15 had nothing to do with it..

evemccc

Visit site
I wouldn’t like to see different tees in a mixed event, and I wouldn’t like to see mixed individuals competing but I would just like to see Mixed Foursomes - off the same tees - and I think it would be great

D

Deleted member 15344

So it’s not a level playing field then ? You are manipulating it to try and create a false level playing field

What happens if some of the ladies hit it further than some of the men and you have just added an extra advantage to someone based on their sex

They do it in a Sweden mixed - the Ladies played a course around 5800 yards , the mean 7200 yards I think , there was one par 3 - Men 212 , Ladies at 140 - Grant was taking short irons into the hole , the men mid irons and Grant won by a landslide - I reckon if one of the top ladies plays again next year they are going to win it again.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So it’s not a level playing field then ? You are manipulating it to try and create a false level playing field

What happens if some of the ladies hit it further than some of the men and you have just added an extra advantage to someone based on their sex

They do it in a Sweden mixed - the Ladies played a course around 5800 yards , the mean 7200 yards I think , there was one par 3 - Men 212 , Ladies at 140 - Grant was taking short irons into the hole , the men mid irons and Grant won by a landslide - I reckon if one of the top ladies plays again next year they are going to win it again.

That's the fault of the course set up for the women. If men are taking 5 irons at 212 holes then the womens tee should be about 170. It's not rocket science.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

So be it, no player is winning a tournament because of the design of one hole though, and alluding that would be disrespectful to Grant, who played some excelent golf that weekend.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The key point there though is you are manipulating the set up to even things up. You aren't finding the best golfer in the tournament, you are finding the best under manipulated circumstances.

I agree about 100yds and in but we are then talking about a par 3 challenge, not a full course.

I fully understand what you are saying, I just don't agree ?