Walking is an integral part of the (pro) game

D

Deleted member 16999

I know it is not a fat disease, but knees are not designed to carry that weight. Weight hastens any issues you might get, and to me, is a contributary factor.
Fair point, but irrelevant in this case, they can’t say it’s self inflicted so go away.
He has the medical problems, regardless of how they came about, and their decision will be based on the here and now.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He has severe arthritis and has had the miniscus removed from his knee, he’s been using a buggy on the Champions Tour all season.
He applied for a medical exemption and was given one.
Do I agree with it, no 100%, but arthritis isn’t a “fat disease” and it isn’t the only medical reason he presented.
A bit more tolerance to his health issues wouldn’t go
The PGA take it seriously and have a panel with qualified medical personnel on to make the decision.
He’s a professional sportsman!
If he’s not fit enough to participate on equal terms then he’s not fit to play.
I can’t think of another sport where if your not fit to play the authority’s will let you have a disability scooter (because that’s what this is)
While he’s coming last or missing the cut it’s fine
But what would happen if someone wins using a buggy?

His weight has a massive bearing on his condition and is probably the reason for his knee problem.
He’s just stopping a upcoming player having a spot.
Which is ironic as he made his breakthrough as a reserve in the USPGA if memory serves me right.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

I can’t think of another sport where if your not fit to play the authority’s will let you have a disability scooter (because that’s what this is)

His weight has a massive bearing on his condition and is probably the reason for his knee problem.
Which is ironic as he made his breakthrough as a reserve in the USPGA if memory serves me right.
Why haven’t you been vocal about this all season? He’s been using a buggy on the Champion Tour.

Can you prove his weight has had bearing on this or he hasn’t slipped or tripped to cause the damage to his miniscus?

I take it all professional sportsmen are fit and healthy then and Daly is the first ever to use an aid?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

When I think about the scenario of other sports I can't help thinking about the various pro cyclists using an artificial aid for asthma and other things that aren't normally permitted on tours

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why haven’t you been vocal about this all season? He’s been using a buggy on the Champion Tour.

Can you prove his weight has had bearing on this or he hasn’t slipped or tripped to cause the damage to his miniscus?

I take it all professional sportsmen are fit and healthy then and Daly is the first ever to use an aid?
I don’t watch the champions tour.
This thread only started on May 9th
No proof but you don’t need to be a rocket scientist to know your joints are at risk if your that overweight.
They all play with injuries but can’t think of another sport that would let you use a motorised aid to compete.
Imagine the pro tour cycling if Froome turned up with an electric bike saying” I have a miniscus injury”
Most professional sports if your injured it’s just tough your not playing!

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I think about the scenario of other sports I can't help thinking about the various pro cyclists using an artificial aid for asthma and other things that aren't normally permitted on tours
Using cycling as a comparison is flawed they all take drugs allegedly.
But would Froome be allowed an electric bike for a knee injury?

D

Deleted member 16999

I don’t watch the champions tour.
This thread only started on May 9th
No proof but you don’t need to be a rocket scientist to know your joints are at risk if your that overweight.
They all play with injuries but can’t think of another sport that would let you use a motorised aid to compete.
Imagine the pro tour cycling if Froome turned up with an electric bike saying” I have a miniscus injury”
Most professional sports if your injured it’s just tough your not playing!
Rubbish, many top athletes use medical aids to compete, from Golfers wearing back supports etc, to Footballers/Tennis Players etc having pain killing injections to allow them to compete.
Nice to see you introduced the word “motorised” to support your argument.

He still has to stand up and hit the shot.

He hasn’t broken any rules, none of us may like it or agree with it, but you can’t put the blame on Daly, he simply made a request AND provided sufficient medical proof.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rubbish, many top athletes use medical aids to compete, from Golfers wearing back supports etc, to Footballers/Tennis Players etc having pain killing injections to allow them to compete.
Nice to see you introduced the word “motorised” to support your argument.

He still has to stand up and hit the shot.

He hasn’t broken any rules, none of us may like it or agree with it, but you can’t put the blame on Daly, he simply made a request AND provided sufficient medical proof.
Where have i blamed Daley.
We’re talking about buggies, last time I looked they were motorised .
That is what the thread is about Buggies .

D

Deleted member 16999

Where have i blamed Daley.
We’re talking about buggies, last time I looked they were motorised .
That is what the thread is about Buggies .

No idea. :rolleyes:

Some young pro missed a chance because of his selfish act.

Everyone mainly accepted the Martin case as the lad had a genuine disability but Daley is just overweight.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No idea. :rolleyes:

Some young pro missed a chance because of his selfish act.

Everyone mainly accepted the Martin case as the lad had a genuine disability but Daley is just overweight.
Yes all of them are true imo .
But the fault lies with the authorities who allowed a motorised buggy to compete .
Just name me one other sport that if your injured you can have a motorised help ?

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes all of them are true imo .
But the fault lies with the authorities who allowed a motorised buggy to compete .
Just name me one other sport that if your injured you can have a motorised help ?

What about Alex Zanardi who lost his legs and was allowed to compete using hand pedals as the skill was in the driving.

It’s a daft argument to try and ask others to point out other sports to try and back up your point when each sport is different .

Daly goes in a buggy to get him round due to injury issues - so what ? It’s not a big deal is it - the players don’t exactly exert themselves when they play anyway - the biggest weight is carried by someone else.

The sport is about swinging the club and that’s where the skill is - not the walking

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What about Alex Zanardi who lost his legs and was allowed to compete using hand pedals as the skill was in the driving.

It’s a daft argument to try and ask others to point out other sports to try and back up your point when each sport is different .

Daly goes in a buggy to get him round due to injury issues - so what ? It’s not a big deal is it - the players don’t exactly exert themselves when they play anyway - the biggest weight is carried by someone else.

The sport is about swinging the club and that’s where the skill is - not the walking
Fair enough if that’s what you think your entitled to your view .
My view of proffesional sportsman is very different.
But Zinardi had a motor to start with.!!
My view is if your injured you put the sub on .
I wonder if the R&A will let him have one in the Open.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I had a feeling they would.
Links golf is a world apart from USA courses.
But I still belive a professional sportsman needs to be fit enough to play a level playing field with his her peers.

I think being Portrush made it easier for them too, may have been harder if it was at St Andrews for eg