The Flop Shot

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I’ve never really hit a flop (lob) shot on the course (other than trying an unpracticed bunker technique to clear obstacle a few times)

I’d never even practiced it & I can only remember a handful of times where I’ve aimed away from the pin because of tight pin/danger short and long etc. But over last 3-4 weeks I’ve been practicing it at short game area and the kick it gives when you pull it off is a bit like hitting a frozen rope drive, so I definitely see the attraction & satisfaction in playing it

I’m hitting a 50° blade GW with 10 ° bounce to practice it and can adjust for as little as 4/5 yards out to maybe 20yrds. I’m not sure why I might use more loft yet. All being well I'll try it on course next time the situation crops up...

Is the shot in your arsenal? Are you hitting it with more lofted clubs (& why) How often do you use it and what’s the 'make' % ? and lastly do you choose to hit that shot even when there’s no obstacles, just because it’s a fun/Hollywood shot?

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yes, I’ll hit a 60° wedge, I only use it as shot when there is no other option.

I’d say I am happy with outcome 75% of the time, I haven’t left in the trouble I was avoiding or sent it 25ft past where I was aiming. Maybe that is a low bar🤷🏻‍♂️.

I’d say a flop shot or taking a 5w out of a fairway bunker are the 2 shots I live for in golf.

RichA

Visit site
I like a flop shot.
When the ground is firm and the grass is short but thick it can be a thing of beauty.
But I live in England, so the other 11 months of the year when the grass is sparse and the ground is muddy it's more likely to be a horror show.

Albo

Visit site
I can and have used it, but success rate hasn’t ever been great, swinging hard at something with the ultimate target so close, when one knifes it, leaves a long and foolish walk either in to the bunker you were trying to go over or across the green to the next one.
I avoid as much as I can and will only do so if I really really need to.
I use a small 60 for it

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Very rare it's actually needed - very tough to execute well, but they're fun to practice. If you carry a 60 degree wedge it will almost execute the shot without opening up the face in most cases.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Almost never. Its bottom of the list for anyone to put time to practice and learn it. Maybe worth it if you have other elements of the game well in control, and play off 5 or less. Otherwise it will do more harm than good. I think its Stagner that advises handicap golfer do better if they dont caryy a 60deg club, and dont try a flop shot. It works better to try a standard one, but away from the target.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Been working on the Dan Grieve short game over the weekend and so the release 3 for the flop shot is starting to come into my arsenal. It does require a decent lie (so not likely on our sodden courses) and faith and is a work in motion. To be honest the release 2 has been a powerful short game tool anyway. I've always struggled with a LW and so it hasn't been in my bag for years. There aren't many occasions where a player of my level would need to play this shot and do so properly

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Love playing it. 60 deg wedge, for use short range when a bunker is between the ball and the green. Important to keep pace through the swing and slide under the ball. It's how I play it anyway and I'm pretty consistent with it. It's a very satisfying shot 😊

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Use it occasionally. I think things like this are always worth practicing, you learn more about controlling loft. Whether you put it into practice in a competitive game depends on your consistency with the shot.

Mandofred

Visit site
Love it....I'm a crappy chip+roll person. I won't use it if I am having confidence/swing issues though.....I need to believe that I'm going to hit it well and swing relaxed. I've recently dropped the 58 wedge from the bag for a 64....so far so good. If I don't need it to be a nice soft landing I go with the 54 wedge. If you are inconsistent with your swing, you should probably stay away from it unless you just like to practice them. If people only did what they were supposed to do.....well....the list is really long on things like that. How many people do you know who if they would only stop doing xxxx + yyyy they would play better golf? Tons. Golf is full of delusional people.....not me of course (y)

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I have played flop shots if I’m short sided and have a decent lie. I just lay my 60 degree wedge wide open, open my stance, full swing and a lot of the time I look like a short game genius. Alas, on the occasions I don’t get it quite right and blade it I look a prize chump.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Learnt to do it in 1969/70 with a mashie-niblick.
Usually have a 64° in the bag for handicap qualifying golf and other competitive games.
Ram Tour Grind.
But I take the chip and run option wherever and whenever it is clearly the best and easiest option.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I can play it when there’s no pressure on. So if I’m in a roll up or even a stableford comp or a match and there’s no other option, ie, need to get up and down for a point and the flop shot is the only option, I’ll do it.

Medal? No chance. I’m playing safe and taking the double bogey!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have a 60 in the bag but it's really for bunkers only. If I have no obstacles to go over I'm usually chipping with my PW. If I have got a bunker to chip over, I would generally use the 54, maybe open it a fraction - my 54 is the Cleveland CBX variety so it has decent bounce and forgiveness.

It's very unlikely I'd bother trying a 60° flop shot on the course very often. Firstly, the conditions in the UK often don't allow it. It's too muddy, or the grass is too patchy, or there's no grass, or there's too much grass and you could fly straight under the ball. Secondly, when I open the face a lot I tend to shank it for some reason - probably a mental thing where my path follows the clubface instead of the line of the shot. This is the problem I have with bunker shots as well. So all in all the percentage of me pulling it off is very low.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Ave only done it once when it was a thing of beauty. I had the bunker between me and the pin which was at the front. No room to play and no other shot. 56 degree vokey and dropped it on a sixpence. It stopped dead 12” from the hole.
I was buzzing. Lost count the amount of times I have knobbed it and walked 50 yds to play my next shot.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use it a lot. The most lofted club in my bag is 54. I grew up learning how to manipulate wedges to get different lofts and for many years the most lofted wedge was a 52.

The biggest risk I have found through the years is the ball that flies off to the right after failing to return the club face on the correct swing path.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I love them. Great fun to practice. Made even easier by my wide sole K grind.

I used to flop a lot of shots that really didn't need it. Now I only use it if I have to or when practicing.

This is the shot where bounce on a wedge really helps. Them low bounce lob wedges are just trouble waiting to happen.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Think as others have said the lie is critical.. hard pan no chance.
This is why I am critical of course care and maintenance.. you have to give a player a chance not just mow as short as possible, particularly if your susceptible to over drainage.
Phil Mickelson made it popular but remember he was playing on the best kept courses .. not some semi muni course run by inexperienced enthusiasts

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I use it a lot. The most lofted club in my bag is 54. I grew up learning how to manipulate wedges to get different lofts and for many years the most lofted wedge was a 52.

The biggest risk I have found through the years is the ball that flies off to the right after failing to return the club face on the correct swing path.
We call that a shank 🤣