The Flop Shot

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You could be right, or are those yielding a 60 maybe laying it open to 70 resulting in the knifing that scares folk from using the shot in the first place, given thats the recommended set up ;) Even if struck at a 60 angle with a 60 wedge its a steep climb and I'd imagine much easier to inadvertently close the face if going in 'square'

But for sure there's no way I'm gonna buy a 60 wedge just on the off chance there's a 6ft wall between my ball and the flag 10 steps away :p
When I hit mine, I don't lay it open. I just rest it behind the ball so it sits naturally. I rarely knife it but that isn't a boast. There are plenty of shots I can't play but this is one, oddly perhaps, that I can play on repeat. I don't go full Phil incidentally, I'm not that confident in myself o_O

As to your last sentence, where is the fun in that 😄 . Try a cheap second hand one and see if the shot is natural to you or not. If not, nothing much lost. If you can play it easily, upgrade if the urge takes you.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play off 2 and can’t bring myself to play it with a card in hand. 56 degree and try to hole a 10 footer is my go to.

Maybe I should learn/practise.

It is funny I had a better greenside game when I was in my teens handicap than when I was at 6. I put this down to the amount I practiced when a teens handicap coupled with the fact that I was missing far fewer greens when 6.

My aim used to be to hole out any greenside shot or leave it at one putt distance.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks all,

Quite a variety of replies. The consensus seems to be a high risk/high reward shot, which i don't think surprises anyone, and tough to pull off with a card in hand

I'm not sure I understand the best loft to use yet. If laying open say a 60 wedge are you actually attempting this already tough shot with an impact angle of a 70/80 degree wedge? Is that a big reason why it can often knife & fail?

As I said in OP I'm trying to learn the shot with a 50 laying a bit open (I don't own a 56/60 anyway) so maybe I'm only turning it into an impact angle of 60? I've still knifed more than I'd like on short game area while I practice (but that's why its called practice) for the most part I can get it to stop on green but there's clearly a lot to learn/dial in to get the distance/line needed

Its fun to do (in practice anyway) and if the opportunity arises I hope I feel confident enough to try it on the course (what's the worse that can happen... in terms of the scorecard its no worse than spraying a drive lost/oob)

If I carried a 60 wedge I would see no need to manipulate the shot the loft of the club would do the work.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not keen on it. For some bizarre reason I’m inclined to hit the odd shank when trying a flop shot. Think I’m sitting back on my heels too much at address.
I have the same issue with opening the face in bunkers (essentially similar to the flop shot). I think when you open the face that much it effectively reduces the hitting zone on the club as well, if you know what I mean.

Last edited:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I flop when I don't need to but I just love the satisfaction it brings!

I'm certainly more of a chip and sit than chip and run type of player, attack the pin and hope the spin works out.

Short game is the best part of my game normally though.. I'm very confident anywhere within 50 yards.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Must admit I find my 60 degree wedge invaluable in bunkers for me it works way better than any other club, it does have quite a lot of bounce.

Singlefiguregokfer

Visit site
I have the same issue with opening the face in bunkers (essentially similar to the flop shot). I think when you open the face that much it effectively reduces the hitting zone on the club as well, if you know what I mean.
If you lay the face open it points right and the hosel is more prominent.
That is why you need to open the stance, aim left, lower the hands and cut across the ball somewhat.
Otherwise you will be presenting the hosel close the the ball at impact.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I hit mine, I don't lay it open. I just rest it behind the ball so it sits naturally. I rarely knife it but that isn't a boast. There are plenty of shots I can't play but this is one, oddly perhaps, that I can play on repeat. I don't go full Phil incidentally, I'm not that confident in myself o_O

As to your last sentence, where is the fun in that 😄 . Try a cheap second hand one and see if the shot is natural to you or not. If not, nothing much lost. If you can play it easily, upgrade if the urge takes you.
This is how I play them With a 60* nobody needs more loft than this.imo of course.

Shanks come from laying the face open and just using your normal swing.
You must swing across the line to present the face not the hosel.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
If you lay the face open it points right and the hosel is more prominent.
That is why you need to open the stance, aim left, lower the hands and cut across the ball somewhat.
Otherwise you will be presenting the hosel close the the ball at impact.

Won't that will present the hosel to an even greater degree?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The idea of a lob shot conjures up images of Phil mickelson swinging 100mph on shots close to the green.
The reality of it for us is that this kind of shot is dangerous and unnecessary. The majority of the time we just want to lob it high over a bunker or obstical and get it to stop fairly quickly.
I made a video last night explaining my thoughts on how to play a simple lob shot.
We get out of position around the green fairly often so a shot like this in the locker gives the best chance of getting up and down. Chipping sideways to 25 feet is basically surrendering a shot if you look at the stats for making that 25 footer. You can always err on the side of caution and hit the lob shot a little long. Maybe leave yourself 12 feet and increase the likelihood of the up and down.
As with any shot you have to weigh up the risks and decide what the best course of action is.
The lie of the ball has a huge say it what you will decide.
When you get more comfortable and the situation requires it you can really crank open the face and get even more creative. This brings with it more risk so practice makes perfect.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Last one from the side. Can see ball position and club head release past the ball.

If you get decent at it then it becomes a fairly straightforward shot. Its likely once or twice a round you will need to play a lob. As always the lie of the ball dictates how easy the shot can be to play.
I love my 60 for lobs. I used a 64 in this video but find it's really too much loft for most shots around the green.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Last one from the side. Can see ball position and club head release past the ball.

If you get decent at it then it becomes a fairly straightforward shot. Its likely once or twice a round you will need to play a lob. As always the lie of the ball dictates how easy the shot can be to play.
I love my 60 for lobs. I used a 64 in this video but find it's really too much loft for most shots around the green.
The ball back in your stance?