Are par 3 courses a great way to introduce beginners to golf, or do they contribute to the misconception that golf is an easy sport?

Olivia Bell

Banned
Visit site
In my view, par 3 courses can be a fantastic entry point for beginners into the world of golf.

They provide a less intimidating environment, allowing new players to focus on developing their short game and gaining confidence without the pressure of longer holes.

However, there's a valid concern that exclusively playing on par 3 courses might contribute to the misconception that golf is an easy sport.

Golf is multifaceted, and mastering the full range of shots on various types of holes is part of its challenge and charm.

So, while par 3 courses offer a welcoming starting point, it's crucial to encourage beginners to gradually transition to longer courses to experience the full richness and complexity of the game.

Striking the right balance ensures that newcomers find golf enjoyable and rewarding without underestimating the skill involved in the sport.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum & UK golf, Olivia.
Personally, I find par 3's to be the hardest holes on the course. Beginners doing well on a Par 3 course should be set up well for progressing to the main course providing they prepare well on the driving range. ⛳ 🏌️‍♂️

D

Deleted member 1147

I learnt on a pitch & putt course, so I'm a big fan of Par 3 courses.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Beginners should be encouraged to start out on 9 hole par 3 courses to learn the basics. There are far too many of them chopping their way around proper 18 hole courses.

And FWIW, I never got the impression that golf is easy.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I learned to play golf first of all on a putting green.

Then on an 18-hole course where the holes varied in length from 40 to 100 yards. Some people call this a pitch-and-putt.

That accounted for my first 3 summers of learning how to play golf.

I've never been on a 9-hole par 3 course.
Because of the way I learned, they seem pointless to me.
I play 18 par 3s every time I play. Once I am within reach of the green, I am playing a par 3. Some holes offer one or two (or 3) warm-up shots first.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Southport Pitch & Pitt was where I first had a go at getting a golf ball from a tee into a hole - days after my dear old Uncle Les had introduced me to golf by taking me to Ainsdale beach to have a go at hitting a ball. I loved it from the very start…and though I think I realised it wasn’t an easy game that didnt put me off - with the thrill of succeeding every so often being worth the effort and frustration involved.

D-S

Visit site
One of the really positive changes to WHS next year is that the minimum length for a course to be able to be rated for handicap will reduce from 3000 yards to 1500 for 18 holes (1500 to 750 for 9). This means that beginners will be able to get handicaps on many par 3 courses next year and hopefully help the transition to a full size course. In my County there are a few and they are very keen on the move (it’ll also help EG and Counties’ bank balance).

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Southport Pitch & Pitt was where I first had a go at getting a golf ball from a tee into a hole - days after my dear old Uncle Les had introduced me to golf by taking me to Ainsdale beach to have a go at hitting a ball. I loved it from the very start…and though I think I realised it wasn’t an easy game that didnt put me off - with the thrill of succeeding every so often being worth the effort and frustration involved.
Is the Farnham Par 3 still open ?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Yeah short hole courses are a good intro for beginners, although is there really a misconception that golf is easy?

I haven't heard it said/written/reported that golf is easy, who's saying it ?

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
We are really lucky in Durham that we have a 9 hole course with 7 par 3s and 2 short par 4s … it’s a great course to get into golf

Cocken lodge it’s called

Absolutely dangerous when busy like with balls flying all over

I sometimes go out with my father who can’t hit it that far and it’s still a tough test around the greens

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum & UK golf, Olivia.
Personally, I find par 3's to be the hardest holes on the course. Beginners doing well on a Par 3 course should be set up well for progressing to the main course providing they prepare well on the driving range. ⛳ 🏌️‍♂️
I'm not sure that Olivia is a real person.

She seems to appear on golf forums and post slightly weirdly worded opening posts.

And then disappears without trace.

Maybe GM has employed a cunningly crafted bot to make us behave ourselves?

Who knows...

Ps. If this is way off the mark, many apologies...

D

Deleted member 1147

I used to have lessons with Chris Ryan and he told me that the better you get, the harder par 3's get.
So access to a par 3 course would be of benefit to experienced players as well as beginners.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I'm not sure that Olivia is a real person.

She seems to appear on golf forums and post slightly weirdly worded opening posts.

And then disappears without trace.

Maybe GM has employed a cunningly crafted bot to make us behave ourselves?

Who knows...

Ps. If this is way off the mark, many apologies...

You may be right. Mods are keeping an eye on her posts. She purports to be from California but every visit to the forum is via an IP address in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh..