Walking is an integral part of the (pro) game

maxy33

Visit site
Had it been a contender this week I'd have said yes it would make a difference but I can't see Daly contending at all. Of course there is the argument that if you give it to one then you give it to all and it does make it hard for the PGA, especially on the back of the Martin case to decide where to draw the line. As others have said, if Daly is that injured he should have politely declined the invite to play and let someone else take his place

Yep - I agree with this.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Apologies if this has been already mentioned and purely in respect of the Pro game.

Say Bethpage had been borderline waterlogged but deemed playable this week (think Celtic Manor Ryder Cup 2010).

Add to that we’re a few years down the line with several buggy users habitually in the field week-in-week-out.

Are they (technically) DQ’d as a result of playing conditions where buggies would churn up the course?

It’s a can of worms right there I tells yah.

Therefore I can’t see it being generally acceptable.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Apologies if this has been already mentioned and purely in respect of the Pro game.

Say Bethpage had been borderline waterlogged but deemed playable this week (think Celtic Manor Ryder Cup 2010).

Add to that we’re a few years down the line with several buggy users habitually in the field week-in-week-out.

Are they (technically) DQ’d as a result of playing conditions where buggies would churn up the course?

It’s a can of worms right there I tells yah.

Therefore I can’t see it being generally acceptable.

I read Daly has been given a map of where he is permitted to take the cart and areas/routes that are off limits
I assume that would apply to all carts in use whether player /rules or media personnel and whether its one player or 10

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm surprised a course of that standing doesn't have cut off areas for buggies. By that I mean that on some courses the buggy will cut out if you go off piste. This stops damage to the course and keeps buggies exactly where the course owners want them and nowhere else.

I don't know if the restriction kicks in via GPS or wiring under the surface but it works.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I can imagine Daly calling it a day soon with the injuries and so the problem (for now) goes away again. I think after the Martin(?) ruling there is little the PGA can do in terms of preventing someone using a buggy in relation to a serious illness or disease. They do need to look at the best way of ensuring the cart then doesn't impact playing conditions (tyre marks in the heavy bethpage rough etc) and the best way of getting it round. Again, I can't see Daly making the cut so the problem goes this week too. Is there anything in the rules that says he can't have a designated driver who could ensure the correct route was taken

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think buggies should be allowed. Nothing to do with being fair or not as you still have to swing a club which is the difficult part. . We already have a fat problem in this world. What are we teaching our kids if we can't even participate in a sport that requires exercise (it's only walking).

I know he is injured or has a disability and I understand that but this opens up the flood gates for people to take liberty and do the same

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On the commentary last night they were talking about this (just as he almost ran a fan over) and how he threatened legal action against the PGA under a disability act if they didn't let him use one.
The days of liking his odd ball way are gone for me. Play like the rest or don't play at all.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
On the commentary last night they were talking about this (just as he almost ran a fan over) and how he threatened legal action against the PGA under a disability act if they didn't let him use one.
The days of liking his odd ball way are gone for me. Play like the rest or don't play at all.

He should have given up his place to one of the reserves, a chance like that can be the making of an up and coming golfer. ;)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He should have given up his place to one of the reserves, a chance like that can be the making of an up and coming golfer. ;)
Sportsmen are very selfish though.
He must need the money, is the only reason I can think of.
There are some courses you can play with a bit of an injury but Bethpage Black dosnt look like one.
Some young pro missed a chance because of his selfish act.
Everyone mainly accepted the Martin case as the lad had a genuine disability but Daley is just overweight.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
PGA should have called his bluff.
I am not sure a judge would agree with Daley.
But you can’t be sure in a law court. The law is an ass.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Sportsmen are very selfish though.
He must need the money, is the only reason I can think of.
There are some courses you can play with a bit of an injury but Bethpage Black dosnt look like one.
Some young pro missed a chance because of his selfish act.
Everyone mainly accepted the Martin case as the lad had a genuine disability but Daley is just overweight.

I don't think he should be there in a buggy but I dunno if his arthritis was caused by being a fat bloke & even if it was then in the US arthritis still comes under disabilities
With a lifetime invite to the PGA I hope he has to apply again each year rather than him now having buggy access forevermore

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't think he should be there in a buggy but I dunno if his arthritis was caused by being a fat bloke & even if it was then in the US arthritis still comes under disabilities
With a lifetime invite to the PGA I hope he has to apply again each year rather than him now having buggy access forevermore
The PGA have bottled it imo! I think it’s classed as debilitating in the UK and comes under PIP .
they should go to court and settle this one way or another .
Big organisations need to cater for disabilities by law, but does that include professional sport.
Tiger might get up tomorrow and say” my backs a bit sore I will use a buggy today”
Lots of good players could prolong their playing days at the top by using a buggy.
Where will it end.

It will be like F1 on the tee, customised buggies with college paint jobs, alloys, soft tops if they want a tan.
You do see these in the USA.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The PGA have bottled it imo! I think it’s classed as debilitating in the UK and comes under PIP .
Big organisations need to cater for disabilities by law, but does that include professional sport.
Tiger might get up tomorrow and say” my backs a bit sore I will use a buggy today”
Lots of good players could prolong their playing days at the top by using a buggy.
Where will it end.

It will be like F1 on the tee, customised buggies with college paint jobs, alloys, soft tops if they want a tan.

I was agreeing with you until the last line. Now I kinda want to see wacky races down the fairways :LOL:

D

Deleted member 16999

Where will it end.

He has severe arthritis and has had the miniscus removed from his knee, he’s been using a buggy on the Champions Tour all season.
He applied for a medical exemption and was given one.
Do I agree with it, no 100%, but arthritis isn’t a “fat disease” and it isn’t the only medical reason he presented.
A bit more tolerance to his health issues wouldn’t go amiss.

The PGA take it seriously and have a panel with qualified medical personnel on to make the decision.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I do think part of the problem here is who’s actually in the buggy.

If he was a skinny bloke, or someone less crass. Would there be such outrage?

As has been mentioned. His weight isn’t the actual reason for his main request. Sure he could lose a few lbs, but that would heal him.