Walking is an integral part of the (pro) game

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am someone with a number of recurrent injuries which had their main cause as an accident in my teenage years.

I have been a buggy user for over 20 years and with being allowed one I would have had to give up playing in my mid 40s.

The Senior Tour in the States has always allowed them.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would split 'golf' into two categories.

Competitive golf......no buggies, it is a sport and therefore an element of physical fitness should come into the equation.

Recreational golf....buggies are fine as it allows people to get out into the fresh air and enjoy a pastime although I'm not generally a fan of buggies because they damage courses.

How would a player keep their handicap reasonably true if they were never allowed to play in any comps because they use a buggy.

What damages courses is player taking trolleys and buggies in to areas that they should not go. On our course the most significant damage is caused by far too many trolleys being taken over the same piece of terrain.

D

Deleted Member 1156

How would a player keep their handicap reasonably true if they were never allowed to play in any comps because they use a buggy.

What damages courses is player taking trolleys and buggies in to areas that they should not go. On our course the most significant damage is caused by far too many trolleys being taken over the same piece of terrain.
I don't consider a club stableford to be any sort of high level competition so plenty of opportunities to maintain a handicap.
As for course damage, I think you have enforced my opinion.

sunshine

Visit site
My thoughts...

Professional: walking is an integral part of the game. If you can't walk you can't compete.

Amateur: walking is an integral part of the game. Buggies should be allowed only for medical reasons.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
John Daly's knees are shot because he is grossly overweight, and has lived a very unhealthy lifestyle for a so called professional sportsman. I have zero sympathy. It's alledgedly a sport. If he can't walk 18 holes, then he should not be playing.

sunshine

Visit site
John Daly's knees are shot because he is grossly overweight, and has lived a very unhealthy lifestyle for a so called professional sportsman. I have zero sympathy. It's alledgedly a sport. If he can't walk 18 holes, then he should not be playing.

Couldn't agree more.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Much as I love Big John I can't disagree with this.
Would Tony Finau have been able to use a buggy at last year's Masters after knackering his ankle..?
I think not.,

D

Deleted member 16999

I agree with the sentiment, but in today’s society you would be discriminating against people with a medical disability.
That was the reason Casey Martin was allowed to use a buggy for the 2012 US Open.
If a person has a medical reason to use a buggy when trying to make a living what’s the problem?

User20204

Visit site
I agree with the sentiment, but in today’s society you would be discriminating against people with a medical disability.
That was the reason Casey Martin was allowed to use a buggy for the 2012 US Open.
If a person has a medical reason to use a buggy when trying to make a living what’s the problem?

I'm surprised it took so long in this topic for someone to mention Casey Martin though I could've sworn it was about 20 years ago all the furore about him and a buggy, did it not go to court etc ???

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

Casey Martin had a medical reason beyond his control. JD has become his own problem. Clear difference.

D

Deleted member 16999

Casey Martin had a medical reason beyond his control. JD has become his own problem. Clear difference.
That’s only our opinion though, if he has a “genuine” medical certificate then who are we to judge.
He wasn’t the first and won’t be the last golfer to have trouble with drink or drugs, but I’ve seen nothing that confirms his medical problem is directly linked to his lifestyle, regardless of mine or your cynicism.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That’s only our opinion though, if he has a “genuine” medical certificate then who are we to judge.
He wasn’t the first and won’t be the last golfer to have trouble with drink or drugs, but I’ve seen nothing that confirms his medical problem is directly linked to his lifestyle, regardless of mine or your cynicism.

I think the point murph is making is that self abuse, lack of exercise, excessive drinking and an horrific diet is not a medical condition, in short the lazy (enter any suitable word(s) here) should get of his lazy backside and walk if he wants to continue cashing in on professional golf.

I may have read it wrong tho 😂

Not that I’m no lean bean so my statement is not discriminative in any way, it’s fact!

D

Deleted member 16999

I think the point murph is making is that self abuse, lack of exercise, excessive drinking and an horrific diet is not a medical condition, in short the lazy (enter any suitable word(s) here) should get of his lazy backside and walk if he wants to continue cashing in on professional golf.

I may have read it wrong tho 😂

Not that I’m no lean bean so my statement is not discriminative in any way, it’s fact!
The panel have accepted the medical reports he has ostearthritis and a torn miniscus.

In the culture of being sued etc I don’t think they could of said “it’s your own fault you fat b.....d”

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Is it a test of walking or the ability to put the ball in the hole? "Oh, he's a scratch walker at least but a 15 handicap golfer!"

I wonder how any comps Olazabal would have won if he'd been allowed, or able, to use a buggy when his arthritis was at its worst? In some respects we have been robbed of seeing more of Olazabal because of his struggles for many years, and that's a crying shame.

Golf may well be a sport but how many professional golfers could run a half marathon?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The panel have accepted the medical reports he has ostearthritis and a torn miniscus.

In the culture of being sued etc I don’t think they could of said “it’s your own fault you fat b.....d”

Osteoarthritis is valid but I’d question how he torn his miniscus. I bet it wasn’t at the gym.

User20204

Visit site
Is it a test of walking or the ability to put the ball in the hole? "Oh, he's a scratch walker at least but a 15 handicap golfer!"

I wonder how any comps Olazabal would have won if he'd been allowed, or able, to use a buggy when his arthritis was at its worst? In some respects we have been robbed of seeing more of Olazabal because of his struggles for many years, and that's a crying shame.

Golf may well be a sport but how many professional golfers could run a half marathon?

What point are you actually trying to make ?

It's approx 4 miles walk round a golf course, to compete and win you need to be able to get round and that includes walking the 4 miles or so to do so. I suspect I would be much fresher come the last few holes if I was to take a buggy round all the way, does being fresher near the end of your round make a difference when it comes to scoring, you better believe it does. I don't even think you should be eligible to take a buggy round in a club comp.