You are too slow!

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Yes, Id say it comes as a shock to many who think that the keep up with those in front line has some official foundation, that it hasnt
But but but. If a club chose to have it as a rule, shouldn’t we all rigidly adhere to it without question?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I take my glove off for any shot with 8 iron down to putter. It's a completely psychological thing to help me get a better "feel" on the shorter shots. Nothing to do with me posing.
However, I also make sure that the glove is on as I'm walking on to the tee, or I'm taking it off as I'm approaching my ball for the 8 iron shot.
Issue with wearing a glove for all the shots is that after a while in the sun, I end up looking like I've still got a glove on, which I hate.
Back to OP, a quiet, friendly word should suffice. Too often we shy away from those conversations... and then come on here and go for it!.?
But Golfer's Glove is a badge of honour;)

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Maybe he'll change. Probably he won't. Someone changing their habits or opinions is pretty rare. Think of all the nonsense that goes on here...
We had someone join our regular social group who sounds just like the OP guy. Literally every shot took slightly longer than necessary because of various sorts of pointless prevarication. That totals up to easily 20-30 mins extra over 18. In the end we had to drop him - we mentioned it, he denied it and quoted all sorts of whataboutery.
The thing is, we've all played with loads of randoms over the years, and this one guy really hit the mark. Definitely him, not us.
One of my mates played with him recently in a comp. He's literally just the same as he ever was. It's hard to teach old dogs new tricks, and painful to try.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
But but but. If a club chose to have it as a rule, shouldn’t we all rigidly adhere to it without question?
Sure should.
But the sanctimonious posturing of the quick-play-good, slow-play-bad faction, and criticism of players they perceive as too slow by their own chosen measure, is very wearing.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
When your in front of him further down the fairway all the time he will get the hint.
There’s no issue being in front of a player if obviously not in his line of play. If everyone does that he will find himself having to naturally speed up.

D

Deleted member 15344

Sure should.
But the sanctimonious posturing of the quick-play-good, slow-play-bad faction, and criticism of players they perceive as too slow by their own chosen measure, is very wearing.
But 99% of the time is also very correct

The R&A link which I provided for you should help understand the players responsibility on a golf course in regards pace of play - if they are doing what’s been asked then there will be no issue

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
But 99% of the time is also very correct

The R&A link which I provided for you should help understand the players responsibility on a golf course in regards pace of play - if they are doing what’s been asked then there will be no issue
But just like denying slow play is a problem, he denies there's any official advice to keep up with the group in front, despite the fact that there is, in black and white as you've posted

D

Deleted member 15344

But just like denying slow play is a problem, he denies there's any official advice to keep up with the group in front, despite the fact that there is, in black and white as you've posted

I guess he can’t see what I posted ?‍♂️

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Sure should.

So, if you have the right to potter round at whatever snails pace you wish. Would you have a problem with people who want to play faster doing just that, and leaving you behind?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When your in front of him further down the fairway all the time he will get the hint.
There’s no issue being in front of a player if obviously not in his line of play. If everyone does that he will find himself having to naturally speed up.
That’s quite dangerous with some of the players I have played with.

Jason.H

Visit site
Personally I like to keep up not pressure the group in front. I’ve played with some who rush their puts to then wait around moaning on the tee for 2 minutes. Chances are thats going to spoil your round. Then there’s some who seem oblivious to the fact there’s a gap of 3 holes in front and just having a jolly.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sure should.
Slow play is fine if you let people through.
If you don't it's discourteous to others.
There is no law against it but it's like dropping litter or shouting on the course, just bad manners.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I’m firmly in the camp with those saying just tell him. If the issue is as clear cut as the OP describes there is no point beating around the bush - just tell the fella he needs to think about those around and behind him and get a move on.

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
I’ve had success with this approach. Either he’ll get the hint, or he’ll instigate the pace of play conversation himself, making it easier to tell him he needs to speed up, or he’ll leave and find another group. And if he isn’t prepared or able to change then that’s probably the best result for you too? In my case they got the hint.