Why the R&A need to look at their Open venue bias and how should they do it ?

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Re: Why the R&A need to look at their Open venue bias and how should they do it

I'm rather hoping that Saunton does not get the chance as I play it every year whilst on holiday and the costs would triple if it was an open venue.
Back to the original discussion, the spread of open venues has never really crossed my mind, but maybe that's because I live 30 minutes from the Lancashire coast. I could arrange a day trip to most open venues if I wanted with the exception of RSG as the travelling would be horrendous. I would like to see an Irish venue added but that's about it really. Oh, and it has to be Links. The Open on a non Links course is just plain wrong.

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site

First and foremost I was not going to comment on this thread. As I have no problem with how the open is at present. But the more I thought about it. The more it sounded like. "yet another who thinks england ends at Watford Gap". The more comment by the op the more it shows.

Tell you what lets just have the open in the north west every year. Southerners can have a day out, most further north can have a day out. As it is about equal distance from both. All the infrastructure is in place. So nothing to do there either.

Cannot see any drawbacks at all. Oh except all those foreigners south of Watford coming here.

Isn't Solihull north of the Watford Gap...?

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site

Interesting thread.

Another reason, perhaps, that it may not happen is the investment the current hosts have put in at the request of the R&A in order to keep their status.

Reading Peter Dawson's interview in GM he mentions that the 7 year (?) improvements work to courses and access to improve their capacity to host the open ( both on and off course) is now complete.

If you were one of the hosts would you be happy having ploughed money into the courses and surrounding roads etc only to be told, just after its complete, you are going to have the open less often now but thanks for all your investment/work!!

I assume the courses have some form of agreement in place before undertaking such an amount of work?

Re the Scotland / England split.... Excluding st Andrews the split is even, just so happens that 3 of the 4 English venues are in the north west. There could, I agree, be a more equitable distribution of venues in England, are there many (any?) potential venues in the east or south west of England?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

That effectively has happened to the major cricket grounds NWJocko, they were asked to make certain upgrades but whilst they have been doing so the ECB have added 3 more grounds to the rota seriously reducing the amount of internationals they host (which ultimately are the source of finance for the infrastructure) leaving some in quite precarious financial positions

Scadge

Head Pro
Visit site

I hope to start a debate so very happy with responses so far but didn't realise that people's geography is so poor. In Solihull I am neither a Londoner or South East Englander - where I have referred to these it has been to point out the obvious population centres.

Next I think it's laughable to point out tiny Scottish coastal resorts as the infrastructural reason why Troon and Turnberry are chosen (beyond the obvious appeal of the course). Barnstaple and Ilfracombe match Ayr and Prestwick.
If these giants of the seaside industry are the reason then roll on the Open at Skegness.

Finally I don't expect the R&A to underwrite everything. I am sure that working in partnership with the local authorities for Portcawl, Princes, Saunton, County Down etc then if the R&A took on the course challenge the locals who would gain the tourist benefit could take on the infrastructure piece and local entrepreneurs would adopt a "build it and they will come approach" to investments in the area.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site

Coming from Northern Ireland I find this thread amusing for a few different reasons.
We are well used to having to travel for everything bar a sliced loaf or a newspaper. I find a lot of (mainly, in my opinion) southern English folks find it hard to understand that other areas of the UK & I are entitled to have tourist attractions/locations that may be worthy of travel to.

One of the best examples I can think of at the moment is the Hillside event GM are hosting in September, to most on here it is a car ride of 1-4 hours from most areas of the mainland. To a few of us it is either a plane ride or an over night boat trip. We have no issue that the mainland holds quite a lot more activities than Ni & Ire and that is mostly acceptable, you cant have everything. Perhaps those with the 'must be in my backyard' mentality should take a look from other folks perspectives.

Having the Open Championship in Portrush would be fantastic but only if they open the main roads to dual carriageway as it is quite a poor drive up most days as traffic can be slow in its current single lane layout. There are plenty of small towns nearby that could host visitors so Portrush itself wouldn't need to bear the entire brunt. 20 years ago, Portrush was a thriving home holiday destination, these days most of those B&B and family run hotels have shut up shop and it would take a fair amount of investment to get it back to the standard it needs to be at though it seems the borough council have made steps to help recently.

Scadge

Head Pro
Visit site

I think you will find from most of the replies to this thread that it is folks north of the border who find the travel argument hard to fathom where golf is concerned and have tried to distract attention from this by characterizing it as a London attitude. In Solihull I am about as far from hallowed links as you can get - I just hope to have more car rather than plane based travel options to future Opens

D

Deleted member 1740

I think its fair how R&A choose the open courses, and they've proved that so long as the infrastructure is there then other courses will be picked Muirfield being the example.

If the infrastructure isn't there then its not upto the R&A to improve it, it then comes back to how much the local authority want it.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

I know what we should do, we should try and please all of the people all of the time.
I mean, how hard can it be? :thup:
And as for you Snelly, it's hard enough getting you out of Sussex, never mind England :ears:

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site

Why not have 4 "open championships" run a bit like the Dunhill where they all finish at one course for Sunday? Flybe will make a killing!

S

Snelly

I know what we should do, we should try and please all of the people all of the time.
I mean, how hard can it be? :thup:
And as for you Snelly, it's hard enough getting you out of Sussex, never mind England :ears:

I am sure I don't know what you mean? :D I am going to Royal Berkshire next Wednesday for a game? And just last week I played golf in Cheshire..

I have also got games booked at the K Club, Royal County Down and Gleneagles this year so lots of travel!

You make a good point though - I am a converted Sussex boy now and call it home, despite being a Yorkshireman. Reminds me, what about Rye for the Open?! ;)

T

thecraw

Just wait till Trumps masterpiece is added to the rota, that'll add another 290 miles onto your return trip from Glasgow.

Some really interesting replies on this thread, mainly silly replies but a good read.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Or how about we just continue the endless St Andrews, Muirfield, Carnoustie, Troon, Turnberry until the game becomes something kids once saw on the BBC :confused:

I guess the thread may have had more empathy for the OP's case had they not chosen only the Scottish venues to highlight as 'broken'

Maybe suggesting that Birkdale or Lytham & St Annes also be considered in giving up their place/frequency in favour of <insert SE England GC> would have received a more favourable reaction!

I'd also like to understand the failures of the current pot of courses, i.e which of these is not currently a commercial/sporting success such that it would require consideration for the potential or requirement for any change to take place?

D

Deleted member 1418

Re: Why the R&amp;A need to look at their Open venue bias and how should they do it

Haven't read all the posts on this thread, but to me the phrase "if it ain't broke don't fix it" comes to mind when it comes to the Open. Doesn't matter where it's held in Scotland and England, just embrace and enjoy the satisfaction we can get for having THE greatest golf championship played on our shores, on some of the most fantastic golf courses found anywhere in the world.

I for one am looking forward to the Open returning to Royal Lytham and St Anne's this year, particularly so soon after the first anniversary of the sad passing of the King of European Golf who won two memorable Opens there (really hope the BBC acknowledge this and do a suitable tribute).

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Re: Why the R&amp;A need to look at their Open venue bias and how should they do it

Although the SE is the most densly populated, it would be interesting to see what percentage of the local populus would attend an open in that area. I would suggest that there is a higher percentage of golfers per head of population in Scotland than in the Home Counties. I wonder if there is a breakdown somewhere which shows where the majority of spectators are from for each Open venue.

D

Deleted member 1147

I don't know what all the moaning is about, think how it is for me - Derby is about as far from a Links course as you can get!
The nearest to Links golf I've ever got was pitch & putt on Pentire Headland, Newquay when I was 5.

How about playing The Open at one of the "Inland Links" style courses?

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site

I don't know what all the moaning is about, think how it is for me - Derby is about as far from a Links course as you can get!
The nearest to Links golf I've ever got was pitch & putt on Pentire Headland, Newquay when I was 5.

How about playing The Open at one of the "Inland Links" style courses?

I reckon you could have found a full-length links closer than that if you'd really looked...!

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I think some things to do wth the open should remain traditional, but change will also benefit.

I think it should remain links, as only one of the majors is only played on links courses every year. Surely it is the British open so should only be held in Eng/Scot/N Irn and Wales.

It should have the infrastructure, but the course also has to be up to a challenging standard. I think Northern Ireland should get one at Portrush, even if they can only cope with say 120,000, as long as it breaks above even. Maybe the same with Wales, if they have a suitable course, once in Wales and Northern Ireland every 15 years.

Royal Liverpool maybe isn't the best course, but to downplay it because it was perfecet weather in 2006, is slightly harsh. Maybe judge it, once it has bared it's teeth. We're lucky though as we have 3 venues within 1 hour, although Royal Liverpool dropped off the rota for about 40 years.

No-one has mentioned Silloth, I haven't played it, but some say it is a course in waiting, but again sadly missing in infrastructure.

London does get everything/most, so maybe about time, you were the poor cousins. See the FA's contract with Wembley for 20 years for all major England/Finals/Semi-finals, despite them saying how "fantastic" it was to take England on the road to the great unwashed when Wembley was being rebuilt.

Maybe councils/towns should bid for it, I think this should be the same for European cup finals, as it is a lesson in how to fleece for all hotels, airlines etc. I may live in too much of an optimistic world, but if they had to bid based on a ceiling on how much for a hotel room (their normal top price, not 5 times it), airlines with a fixed price (they will still make a good profit) and so-on from there, it may be a cheaper option all round. It will never happen though.

PS This is a very good thread, when away from the nationalist bitching, it should be what's best for the whole of the isles and for the future of British golf.

Last edited:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

No-one has mentioned Silloth, I haven't played it, but some say it is a course in waiting, but again sadly missing in infrastructure.

Silloth could not accommodate the crowds or all the hoopla needed on site, as well as being far too short for an Open. The pros would kill it on a calm day, as rare as those are up there.

Local qualifying course and great course for club players to visit, for sure.