Why the R&A need to look at their Open venue bias and how should they do it ?

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Re: Why the R&A need to look at their Open venue bias and how should they do it

I bow to your superior intellect - if you will note I didn't say there was anything wrong with Dundee merely that it isn't heavily populated. This isn't a London argument and of course the thread was started with some jealousy at its heart. I love the Open and would like it to be more accessible. If nothing else I hope you folks north of the border who have put up such a staunch defense realise how lucky you are rather than acting as if you have a massive chip on your shoulder and anyone south of Hadrian's bloody wall who loves Scittish links and the Open must be some brainless bigotted ar@$£ole.

No one mentioned anything bigoted and no chip on my shoulder we just happen to have the best and oldest courses up here and thats a fact, i watched The Open last year and wasn't impressed by Royal St Georges at all.

Dundee has a population of 180,000 and would say a decent population,this is golf country its a game for the working class not some corporate shebang like what happen down south.

Iaing

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Iain ,Portrush should be given a chance the infrastucture is there, i was there 2 weeks ago and the set up is first class,plenty parking,hotels and what ever else need,and the course is fantastic surely it should be about that primarily.

I would love to see it go to Portrush Steve. It's certainly more deserving than another course down south just to suit the Londoners.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site

I would love to see it go to Portrush Steve. It's certainly more deserving than another course down south just to suit the Londoners.

Iain ,have the chance to go over next week as well but it could be one trip to many,lol.

Scadge

Head Pro
Visit site

You really have some prejudiced misguided views. If it helps any my mother was one of 15 children (hope I can match your working class credentials) my father died on the golf course, i was born in Skegness a seaside town, I was on the golf course when my wife went into labour with our first child and both my kids play golf as I was encouraged to as a kid - so your view that we are all posh silver spooned toffee nosed idiots who cannot appreciate your deep working class understanding of a golf course and links is misguided and a bit sad

Iaing

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

And as far as the nonsense posted by some people on here about moving the open to an inland course, it is just that..nonsense!
Disregarding the aesthetics and history of playing the open on links courses, from a purely practical point of view, if you're organising one of the Majors in the UK in July, you'd better have a course that can handle huge amounts of rain and remain playable.
Links courses do this far better than inland courses.

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Scadge you are now putting words in people's mouths,you may not be a toffee nosed idiot,but you are now being patronizing in the extreme.

Scadge

Head Pro
Visit site

Scadge you are now putting words in people's mouths,you may not be a toffee nosed idiot,but you are now being patronizing in the extreme.

Sorry patronizing was over the top - however do you think the corporate shebang accusation is fair ? Not a little prejudiced or stereotyping. This has gone miles away from the intended debate - for my part it wasn't ever intended to be London v Scotland. I don't live anywhere near London it hasnt got any links

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I appreciate there are many working class golfers down south too,and I also appreciate that this thread is turning into a slagging match(Snelly's fault mainly),but I wish you would have thought before posting more Scadge! I really would be happy to see more Open venues regardless of location,but the simple fact is that very few are suitable.If England wants more Open venues,England needs to build them.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site

The more i read this thread, the more I believe that the UK (note i said uk and not England/Scotland/Wales/Norn Ireland) deserve another world class event. The open and its venues will never change , i can live with that as i believe tradition has its place. However, the European Tour need to support their roots and main fan base.

What i mean by that is that instead of some Middle East / Asia event, they should give us a world machplay or even a world cup type event (why should that be in china each year ?????) It's interesting that the European Tour and UK industry follow the same path. Invest time in growing M.East/Asian events as opposed to generating / developing better events within Europe.

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Well said Junior,I agree completely!

Iaing

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

England needs to build them.

I think the R&A want established courses that won't fall to bits (like Castle Stuart did at the Scottish Open last year) at the first bit of inclement weather.
I think this may trump Trump's course too.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site

Gotta have time to recover when you get to your age mate. ;)

Your right mate,im still recovering from my last trip. Scadge you've kind of lost it fella,Junior your correct there should be more European Tour events in the UK,Germany used to have 4 now it only has 1, as the Asian market has a hold on them.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site

If anywhere should be entitled to feel hard done by it's Ireland and Wales, so if new courses are added to the rota they should come from there - and if that means St Andrews gets The Open 1 in 6 so be it.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Firstly, its not down to the R&A to increase and improve infrastructure, that's down to the local authority. As per Turnberry, it was indicated that they wished to return to the Ayrshire links. As such a plan was put in place with the Scottish Executive and other funding partners for road upgrades etc.

If the R&A indicate that Portrush, RCD etc were to be awarded an Open should they improve the transport links, hotels etc then its down to the local community and local government to decide if its worth the investment for the return.

From my experience of Portrush the roads would need a huge investment to bring it up to scratch. Also do you really want the courses to price us out of a game by increasing fees by 30-40%???

Also Prestwick is a golfing mecca like St Andrews, its where the Open began. Its the birthplace of the most historic tournament in the world. Its also a fantastic golf course.

As said Craw, just some of the infrastructure. Lets face it we are scarabbling in the dark as to how much all of this costs. Royal Liverpool was added 6 years ago, but apart from building a temporary bridge over a road and using Hoylake Muni's 16th as a driving range not much was needed, as Liverpool (for hotels) and existing roads etc was already there. Turnberry may be the best example of new infrastructure needed, but prices have gone up over 30 years, so who knows how much we are talking about.

30-40% increase in green fees, I agree with you, it shouldn't happen but most times it will, if a course is suddenly added to the rota, fact of life unfortunately. Wales and N ireland should get an open every 7 years about (as long as the course is up to standard, the infrastructure is improved, and as long as it upsets the Cockneys even further).

Prestwick, can't comment haven't seen it or played on it.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

scadge

As I read through these posts, I really can't help but think it all comes down to a bit of jealousy. OK, with one exception, the Open is centred around the north west and Scotland but I don't hear any southerners whinging about the fact that so many other sports events are centred around the south. London and SE every year has 2 cup finals at Wembley plus all the international games, all rugby matches at Twickenham, Wimbledon, Royal Ascot, Epsom Derby, Henley regatta, the PGA at Wentworth and this year the Olympics.

So, I don't think it is unreasonable for the rest of the country (NW) to host approx half of the Open's. The R&A aren't going to compromise the tournament by taking it to inferior venues, so sorry fella, that's just the way it is.

Excellent post :thup:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

If they used Prestwick they would need to restrict crowds to 5,000 a day, that's why it is a no no.