Why the R&A need to look at their Open venue bias and how should they do it ?

T

thecraw

Re: Why the R&A need to look at their Open venue bias and how should they do it

Prestwick is a no no.
The Pros would rip it to pieces and there is no additional land for the tented village.

Dundonald is a far better option but it needs a lot of work on the quality of the course surrounds. Greens, tees and fairways are good but the rest needs to mature a bit. Huge areas for additional bits, with a quiet service road next to the dual carriaged A78. Irvine and Troon railway stations not far away.

Best shout for a new venue IMO but probably not too popular with the green eyed Southerners

Dundonald is better than you give it credit for however I don't think its up to an Open. Not enough room for spectators in my opinion.

T

thecraw

If you look on google maps you can see that Porthcawl is near the M4 so there are par and ride possibilities and it has adjacent fields which could house the tented villages and media infrastructure. That said I have no idea whether the course although 7000yards us big enough to house >100000 spectators.

I hope trump never gets an Open but if a new purpose built course is likely to be well received by the R& A what other options does this present ? Are there any other links development possibilities in England and wales to rebalance the geographic limitations of the present rota ?

Why would you wish that Trump never gets the Open?

Is it because he's built it in Scotchland????

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Yes there would be a couple of bottlenecks where the designers have to try and get two tees and greens close to the portacabin [aka clubhouse] Loads of room between the portacabin and the road though, probably earmarked for housing.
Same problem as the new course at Gleneagles, that is why they made such a mess of the 18th. [but thier portacabin is somewhat better!]

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Scadge,
England have very few links areas that are close to large areas of population except Liverpool and Blackpool.
Scotland has Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee, Aberdeen and Inverness.
The investment is in roads and transport links, cableing, plumbing, as well as accomodation and services

As I said earlier you can't just build it up and knock it down a week later.
The whole process is much more complicated than most folks realise.

I know, cos I've been there!!

Last edited:

Scadge

Head Pro
Visit site

Why would you wish that Trump never gets the Open?

Is it because he's built it in Scotchland????

No - you already know I want to balance things up geographically and this would also rule out Dundonald. My hope that Trump never gets an Open is based on a shared sense of tradition with most of the posts herein which he cares less about than cash. It may be naive but my argument has always been about giving the Open back to the people whereas I think Mr Trump would sell its soul to the mercenaries, marketers and bankers and I would hate to see the R&A reward insensitive development however good the end result is.

HughJars

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

and I would hate to see the R&A reward insensitive development however good the end result is.
Trump's design is anything but insensitive. It's so well built, you can't see the course from the main road even though you clealry see the dunes which created all the fuss in the first place. Don't believe the hype of the green nutters.

Scadge

Head Pro
Visit site

Scadge,
England have very few links areas that are close to large areas of population except Liverpool and Blackpool.
Scotland has Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee, Aberdeen and Inverness.
The investment is in roads and transport links, cableing, plumbing, as well as accomodation and services

As I said earlier you can't just build it up and knock it down a week later.
The whole process is much more complicated than most folks realise.

I know, cos I've been there!!

You know I was almost starting to think I was losing the argument till you pointed out Inverness and Dundee as large population centres - by comparison everywhere in England and south wales is a large population centre.

Also some of you guys have argued that the infrastructure couldn't be put in place for an Open and wouldn't make economic sense for a once in 10 year rota and yet the Ryder Cup has encouraged enormous public and private investment wherever it has gone and yet it is NEVER going to return.

Use your imagination there is life outside lancashire and Scotland and people who deserve an open nearby.

D

Deleted Member 1156

scadge

As I read through these posts, I really can't help but think it all comes down to a bit of jealousy. OK, with one exception, the Open is centred around the north west and Scotland but I don't hear any southerners whinging about the fact that so many other sports events are centred around the south. London and SE every year has 2 cup finals at Wembley plus all the international games, all rugby matches at Twickenham, Wimbledon, Royal Ascot, Epsom Derby, Henley regatta, the PGA at Wentworth and this year the Olympics.

So, I don't think it is unreasonable for the rest of the country (NW) to host approx half of the Open's. The R&A aren't going to compromise the tournament by taking it to inferior venues, so sorry fella, that's just the way it is.

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com

Use your imagination there is life outside lancashire and Scotland and people who deserve an open nearby.

But it's not about the people. Surely, first and foremost it has to be about the course. Let's forget locations for the time being. I'm not a well travelled links player but there are a lot of you on here.

What would you say are the best eight links golf courses in the UK?

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

scadge

As I read through these posts, I really can't help but think it all comes down to a bit of jealousy. OK, with one exception, the Open is centred around the north west and Scotland but I don't hear any southerners whinging about the fact that so many other sports events are centred around the south. London and SE every year has 2 cup finals at Wembley plus all the international games, all rugby matches at Twickenham, Wimbledon, Royal Ascot, Epsom Derby, Henley regatta, the PGA at Wentworth and this year the Olympics.

So, I don't think it is unreasonable for the rest of the country (NW) to host approx half of the Open's. The R&A aren't going to compromise the tournament by taking it to inferior venues, so sorry fella, that's just the way it is.

I could not agree more,well said sir!

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site

Taking the Open in isolation I think the OP has a bit of a point. I must admit I've only ever attended it at St Andrews, Muirfield and Troon. Might take a spin down to Lytham ...... but probably won't.

However the arguments about tradition and quality of the venues is valid.

And I quite like that one national event tends to favour Scotland and North England since just about everything else is well established further south.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Scadge.
If the South of England want The Open they should start by building some decent links courses, preferably near places with a decent population [ok I'll give you Inverness, but Dundee area has plenty chimneypots]

The EPGA learned the hard way that by putting events on at courses like The London Golf Club, [which is about 60 miles from London down a little country lane] they will never get decent crowds.
That is why they go to Scotland as they are guaranteed good knowledgable crowds. And before you say Wentworth, most of the spectators there are on freebies and are just a load of Merchant Bankers.

dog377

Assistant Pro
Visit site

It would have been brilliant yes, but I would think when the organisers assessed this, the cost of diverting the Thames for 200 miles outweighed the potential gains.

Where there's a will there's a way.....

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Yes London did get good some crowds for watching boats slowly drift past in the poaring rain. Also watching lots of soldiers and horses walk about a bit. Easily pleased these Southerners.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site

You know I was almost starting to think I was losing the argument till you pointed out Inverness and Dundee as large population centres - by comparison everywhere in England and south wales is a large population centre.

Also some of you guys have argued that the infrastructure couldn't be put in place for an Open and wouldn't make economic sense for a once in 10 year rota and yet the Ryder Cup has encouraged enormous public and private investment wherever it has gone and yet it is NEVER going to return.

Whats wrong with Dundee,ah i know its in the middle of St Andrews and Carnoustie thats what.
As said before why should everything be in London,plus you aint got a decent course down there anyway,knob

Iaing

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

I've only ever attended 4 opens. St. Georges '85, Turnberry '86, Lytham '88 and Troon '89.
Enjoyed them all, but the 2 English trips stick in the memory as he most enjoyable because we made a road trip out of it.
4 buddies, one Volvo estate, lots of golf and beer = great time.
So it might seem unfair if attending The Open involves some travelling, but please try it. The effort is well worthwhile.

And unless The Open ever goes to Portrush, Troon is the most accessible venue for anyone from Northern Ireland.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site

Iain ,Portrush should be given a chance the infrastucture is there, i was there 2 weeks ago and the set up is first class,plenty parking,hotels and what ever else need,and the course is fantastic surely it should be about that primarily.

T

thecraw

Just a shame they all live beside ***** courses incapable of handling the biggest and best tournament in the world. Long reign the Ayrshire links.

:whoo:

Scadge

Head Pro
Visit site

Whats wrong with Dundee,ah i know its in the middle of St Andrews and Carnoustie thats what.
As said before why should everything be in London,plus you aint got a decent course down there anyway,knob

I bow to your superior intellect - if you will note I didn't say there was anything wrong with Dundee merely that it isn't heavily populated. This isn't a London argument and of course the thread was started with some jealousy at its heart. I love the Open and would like it to be more accessible. If nothing else I hope you folks north of the border who have put up such a staunch defense realise how lucky you are rather than acting as if you have a massive chip on your shoulder and anyone south of Hadrian's bloody wall who loves Scittish links and the Open must be some brainless bigotted ar@$£ole.

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

We are the ones with the chip on our shoulder? You started this absurd thread Scadge! If you love Scottish links then why complain at the Open being held there? I have nothing against the Open being held at any decent links in the UK or NI,but the simple fact is we have more appropriate courses!