Why the R&A need to look at their Open venue bias and how should they do it ?

Scadge

Head Pro
Visit site
Why the R&A need to look at their Open venue bias and how should they do it ?

I was again depressed by the choice of yet another Scottish venue for the 2016 Open. I love playing there and the courses are great but 92/140 (66%) have to date been played in Scotland which has only (8.6%) of the population of the UK. It's a long way for most of the people to go to and clearly not a day trip for most (remember 15m live in London and SE).

So my view (although you may say its contentious, refer to home of golf, the courses etc) is that clearly the R&A are biased and not so concerned with the popularity and accessibility of the game as they should be and declining popularity will not be good for clubs or bringing on the next Faldo's, Monty's, Woosies or Clarke's.

So what should we do about it ?

First off we need to even the balance by hosting the Open at Portrush and developing a venue in Wales (Royal Porthcawl or Royal St Davids) capable of hosting an Open. In addition we need to develop more venues in England to reflect the 84% population weighting.

How about the R&A spending some money on Deal or Princes, Saunton, Hillside or somewhere in East Anglia (would/could Hunstanton be big enough) rather than developing the game in China or Outer Mongolia.

Or how about we just continue the endless St Andrews, Muirfield, Carnoustie, Troon, Turnberry until the game becomes something kids once saw on the BBC :confused:

Scadge

Head Pro
Visit site
Re: Why the R&A need to look at their Open venue bias and how should they do it

Is this a serious post :eek:

So how would you feel if the Open was always at Royal St Georges and 50m people lived in Scotland (and I don't mean cramped)

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Name two good links courses within 2 hour drive from Solihull/London.
There is your answer.
I think Dornoch has probably a better claim than many of the courses you name.

I am not a great fan of Royal Troon, I think it is probably the poorest course of The Open venues.
That said the infrastructure is fantastic. It co-joins four other courses, Is on a mainline train route, ferry route, motorway system and airport.
St Georges is a nightmare to get to.

D

Deleted member 1418

I believe that the R&A have said previously that they have looked at venues such as Saunton but the infrastructure needed to support all the logistics for the greatest championship in golf just isn't in place, and probably never will be. It's a shame as there are some truly stunning links courses in England, Wales and NI but they're not on the Open rota for that very reason.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site

i woudl respectfully suggest that it is possible to get a boat to most links courses ...

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

My first thought when reading the OP was its tradition and history and and and... And on reflection I think you have a valid point. Why not take them to other venues, and why not include past venues that are no longer on the rota, e.g. Prestwick, Musselburgh, Royal Cinque Port and so on. Let's not forget its not that long ago that Carnoustie and Royal Liverpool returned to the rota.

And yes, why not look at some new venues.

DCB

Visit site

You just have to look at what needed to be done at Carnoustie to allow the Open to return there in 1999 after a gap of 24 years. Things have been continually improved since that time and Carnoustie is so much the better for it. It takes a lot of money to improve roads, hotels etc and they are all part of taking an event of this size to any venue. no suitable infrastructure = no event.

Anyway, you lot South of the border are holding it again this year aren't you... that's some concession, twice on the trot.... for the first time ever ;)

Scadge

Head Pro
Visit site

[
St Georges is a nightmare to get to.[/QUOTE]

It all depends on where you start which is exactly my point millions more people find SW Scotland a nightmare to get to than St George's which is on their doorstep in the south east. I could take the wife and kids on a wild and windy day trip rather than get fleeced by Ryanair and ridiculously inflated hotel fees.

As for the points made about good infrastructure at Troon and it being poor elsewhere I would say that if you do what you always do you'll get what you always got, by which I mean that SW Scotland is hardly the centre of the travel and hotel industry and what is there has grown as a result of hosting the Open. I am sure the same would be true if the R&A had the imagination to go for Porthcawl / Saunton etc and gave a good amount of preparation time.

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I was again depressed by the choice of yet another Scottish venue for the 2016 Open. I love playing there and the courses are great but 92/140 (66%) have to date been played in Scotland which has only (8.6%) of the population of the UK. It's a long way for most of the people to go to and clearly not a day trip for most (remember 15m live in London and SE).

So my view (although you may say its contentious, refer to home of golf, the courses etc) is that clearly the R&A are biased and not so concerned with the popularity and accessibility of the game as they should be and declining popularity will not be good for clubs or bringing on the next Faldo's, Monty's, Woosies or Clarke's.

So what should we do about it ?

First off we need to even the balance by hosting the Open at Portrush and developing a venue in Wales (Royal Porthcawl or Royal St Davids) capable of hosting an Open. In addition we need to develop more venues in England to reflect the 84% population weighting.

How about the R&A spending some money on Deal or Princes, Saunton, Hillside or somewhere in East Anglia (would/could Hunstanton be big enough) rather than developing the game in China or Outer Mongolia.

Or how about we just continue the endless St Andrews, Muirfield, Carnoustie, Troon, Turnberry until the game becomes something kids once saw on the BBC :confused:

Can I ask your feelings on other sports as well then?

Do you have an issue with all England Football and Rugby internationals being played in London or even every FA Cup final (except for when Wembley was being renovated) or every Rugby Cup Final?

Do you have a problem with the British Tennis Open, which has even adopted the name Wimbledon after where its played in London?

Its not London but Silverstone, home of the British Grand Prix, isnt too far out of London if im not mistaken.

I notice you fail to mention that Royal St Georges, Royal Liverpool, Royal Lytham & St Annes, Royal Birkdale are regular hosts or it is OK for kids to watch them on the good old BBC

I wont even mention the London Olympics which the British government have overspent billions and billions on whilst trying to convince the whole of Britain that its of great benefit to the country as a whole:mmm:

Are all these things perfectly acceptable to you because they are easily accessable for you.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site

Thought provoking thread.

I think the last "new" course to be added to the rota was Turnberry in 1977. No doubts about whether that was a good decision! It only took a weekend of blazing sun and 2 great players to make it an Open legend. Many people now think it is the best course on the rota.

Is there another Turnberry out there waiting for the chance to become an iconic Open venue in the space of 4 days in July?

DCB

Visit site

So currently, The Open is held at St Andrew every five years. St Andrews being the home of the organising body so fair enough. IN a ten year period it's played at St Andrew twice and spread over four English courses and four Scottish courses on the intervening years. Seems reasonable to me.

Bit like the European Tour being told they need to take The PGA Championship on a bit of a road trip cause only those in the London area get to see it ;) It's never going to happen.

dog377

Assistant Pro
Visit site

So currently, The Open is held at St Andrew every five years. St Andrews being the home of the organising body so fair enough. IN a ten year period it's played at St Andrew twice and spread over four English courses and four Scottish courses on the intervening years. Seems reasonable to me.

Bit like the European Tour being told they need to take The PGA Championship on a bit of a road trip cause only those in the London area get to see it ;) It's never going to happen.

nuff said - show some respect to the traditions that brought this great game to us. What a stupid thread to start.

I'm not saying there are not other courses the Open could be held at but the posts that talk about infrasturcture hit the nail on the head. If it went to Dornoch all the spectators and TV people and officials and players would have to camp or do a 2 hour each way everyday.

Inane debate.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site

It's not a stupid thread to start in the slightest. Show some respect to the OP and his opinion!

I'm not saying I entirely agree with it, but perhaps there could be other courses added to the rota. If, as stated above, its 4 Scottish and 4 English courses + 2 St Andrews every 10 years, that seems fair enough. Could there not be another group of say, 2-3 courses which could share one spot on the rota going forward? Like Portrush for example. You could call it a guest slot on the rota. Once every 11 years for a guest slot should work shouldnt it?

Why isnt Wentworth for example on there? Or the Belfry? Could they not be added as a guest slot?

I also saw an article recently which suggested there could be a 5th major, held exclusively at St Andrews, as the home of golf. I wouldnt object to that either, it is the home of golf after all.

dog377

Assistant Pro
Visit site

The Open is only played over links courses

dog377

Assistant Pro
Visit site

The open at the Belfry - have you gone stark staring bonkers old bean

munro007

Tour Rookie
www.craigmillarpark.co.uk

I cant believe this thread. Why must the UK revolve around London England. I would like to see the Open coming to The Renaissance Club North Berwick http://www.trcaa.com/. Another simply stunning course. And at only £65,000 joining fee, i will be their one day. lol