Why the R&A need to look at their Open venue bias and how should they do it ?

dog377

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Re: Why the R&A need to look at their Open venue bias and how should they do it

Didnt know that. Why?

I think it's just tradition and if you think about it alot of the game is traditional I would like to keep it that way, I'm lucky enough to play my golf on links courses and that is the pure form of golf as it originated.

dog377

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I cant believe this thread. Why must the UK revolve around London England. I would like to see the Open coming to The Renaissance Club North Berwick http://www.trcaa.com/. Another simply stunning course. And at only £65,000 joining fee, i will be their one day. lol[/QUOTE

Won[t happen it's not a proper links. Maybe in 2112 (name of a Rush album incidentally)

munro007

Tour Rookie
www.craigmillarpark.co.uk

I cant believe this thread. Why must the UK revolve around London England. I would like to see the Open coming to The Renaissance Club North Berwick http://www.trcaa.com/. Another simply stunning course. And at only £65,000 joining fee, i will be their one day. lol[/QUOTE

Won[t happen it's not a proper links. Maybe in 2112 (name of a Rush album incidentally)

Its not a links course:

Very little earth was moved in the construction of the course. The design embraced the original dunes landscape, typical of true links golf. Tom Doak and his team incorporated these contours into the course while leaving certain significant trees to enhance the beauty and challenges of play. The course has a truly distinctive style; windswept and open dunes land with trees coming into play on a truly coastal links course in Scotland.

dog377

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Its not a links course:

Very little earth was moved in the construction of the course. The design embraced the original dunes landscape, typical of true links golf. Tom Doak and his team incorporated these contours into the course while leaving certain significant trees to enhance the beauty and challenges of play. The course has a truly distinctive style; windswept and open dunes land with trees coming into play on a truly coastal links course in Scotland.

To be fair I've not played it. I've played at Archerfield though and the turf is not like Muirfield or Gullane which is just over the fence. True traditional links have a different turf. I agree Renaissance is a stunning course but it's a new links and that's like saying you have a new MG Roaster.

Scadge

Head Pro
Visit site

nuff said - show some respect to the traditions that brought this great game to us. What a stupid thread to start.

Inane debate.

Pardon me for your superiority. If we are to only show respect to the traditions of the game then we should only host the Open at Prestwick where it was first held and for a number of years. As soon as it moved somewhere else then something called change happened, and one of these changes happened to bring St Andrews of all places into the loop.

I don't believe that the Open should just be within reach of London but I do think the R&A should look to bring the game to all including Northern Ireland, Wales and other parts of England including the East and South West. I don't agree that half the Opens should be held in area containing less than one tenth of the people but the implication that all of the Scottish Open venues have more tradition than any of the prospects from anywhere else is clearly nonsense. Furthermore to suggest that SW Scotland or Carnoustie for that matter had great infrastructure without the Open and intervention from the R&A the likes of which they could do elsewhere is quite frankly absurd. If the debate is indeed inane then you needn't have patronised me with your opinion and I look forward benefiting from your undoubted wisdom on other threads rather than this one going forward.

Deke

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

By SW Scotland are you referring to Ayrshire alone or are you including Glasgow?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I think the Open rota is probably about right given the traditions, infrastructure, course length etc. There probably other courses that deserve to hold the open but without access, viewing for 20,000+ spectators per day, room for the media centre and tented village they arenever going to meet the R&A's strict criteria

dog377

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I don't believe that the Open should just be within reach of London but I do think the R&A should look to bring the game to all including Northern Ireland, Wales and other parts of England including the East and South West. I don't agree that half the Opens should be held in area containing less than one tenth of the people.

It's not about where the population are located. The venues are chosen because of the courses and the test that they are capable of presenting or the part they have played in history. The history is because the Open has been played there before. You clearly have a more progressive view and I am at the polar opposite end of the spectrum. What's good about the forum is that every so often you can have a rant but it's all meant in good spirit.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site

Personally I would have preferred the Open to go to Royal Portrush or Royal County Down, rather than Royal Liverpool again. Ultimately it should be the quality of the course, and the abilty to hold such a huge event that should be taken into account. Personally I think the Opens held in Scotland are the best ones.

Saunton would have made a superb Open course, but it will never happen.

Interesting thread though, and beats 'what shoes should I buy'.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

Is this a serious post :eek:

I think it's an excellent post.

Forget all that 'links' crap too. The US Open isn't played on a links course, or the Masters or many decent tourneys.

I've seen enough of Wentworth to get everso slightly bored with it now. Wouldn't mind seeing something at the London club or somewhere near Birmingham/Manchester.

dog377

Assistant Pro
Visit site

I think it's an excellent post.

Forget all that 'links' crap too. The US Open isn't played on a links course, or the Masters or many decent tourneys.

I've seen enough of Wentworth to get everso slightly bored with it now. Wouldn't mind seeing something at the London club or somewhere near Birmingham/Manchester.

Oh come on..................

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

Could 'the open' be held on a new links, outside the uk?

Scadge

Head Pro
Visit site

The venues are chosen because of the courses and the test that they are capable of presenting or the part they have played in history.

I am at the polar opposite end of the spectrum. What's good about the forum is that every so often you can have a rant but it's all meant in good spirit.

Rant taken in good spirit - just wanted to bitch back !

But it's clear there are a number of criteria you could apply - tradition (host at a club that has previously hosted one), great links course (the same reason that brought back Carnoustie and Turnberry could justify hosting at Portrush, Co Down, Porthcawl, Saunton as well as the tradition group), great infrastructure (host near major city or airport e.g. London, Liverpool, Glasgow)... but for me the criteria has to embrace the population and where they are - it needs to be Open to spectators as well as entrants - I love the tradition of the game, I have played all my life, my kids play, our holidays are centred on golf, my father died on a golf course and I want the game to thrive and the Open encourage kids to go and watch and people to play so I'm sorry for me the venues need to better reflect the demographics as they change.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

The opening post and many thereafter have to be the most stupid posts ever posted on here.