WHS working well for me

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Depends on your comittee, if theres a legitimate reason for playing less than 18 then you can have net pars to make up the 18. No guidance ive seen on 'legitimate reason'.

Otherwise its net double bogies....

Rule 3.2 lists "fading light" as a reason for not completing a round.

As long as at least 10 holes are played then the unplayed holes will be scored as net par for each hole, plus one additional stroke for the first hole not played

If 14 holes are completed then the unplayed holes are scored as net par.

However, when entering the scores the player must be sure to register the holes as "not played" rather than just not enter a score.....otherwise the "computer" will register them as nett doubles.

wjemather

Visit site
Quick one, I've read you can play 10 holes and it counts towards your handicap, is that correct and do you just put no score in the computer afterwards? About to head out and we are going to put a score in but we won't get 18 finished I imagine.
In short, yes you can. However, there must be a valid reason for not playing the remaining holes (e.g. bad weather, fading light, injury, illness, hole closed).

If just playing 9 holes, then you can submit a 9-hole score.

If intending to play 18-holes but cannot then as long as 10 holes have been played, your score can be submitted for handicapping and it will be scaled up to 18-holes as follows:
If at least 10 holes have been played, net bogey is added for the first unplayed hole and net pars for the remainder​
If at least 14 holes have been played, net pars are added for all the unplayed holes​

When putting your score into the computer, there should be an option to specify holes not played/started (as opposed to not scored). If not, then you will need to contact your committee to have your score corrected per the rules.

Depends on your comittee, if theres a legitimate reason for playing less than 18 then you can have net pars to make up the 18. No guidance ive seen on 'legitimate reason'.

Otherwise its net double bogies....
This is never an option. The score is either scaled up or deemed unacceptable for handicapping, with a Penalty Score also being an option for the committee if the reason is deemed invalid. Examples of legitimate reasons are listed in the rules (summarised above).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Quick one, I've read you can play 10 holes and it counts towards your handicap, is that correct and do you just put no score in the computer afterwards? About to head out and we are going to put a score in but we won't get 18 finished I imagine.

Our guideline is that players should not submit an intent to submit a General Play card if they are not going to complete 18 holes.

There appears to be a bit of misconception about only playing 10 holes. The rule is

Where the minimum number of holes has been completed and the reason for a
player not playing a hole is valid
, the player must use the following table to
produce an 18-hole score:

Starting a round knowing you will not be playing a full round is not a valid reason in my opinion.

wjemather

Visit site
I tried that as well but couldn't find the 9 hole option, it defaulted to 18 holes and I couldn't change it.
Sounds like your club did not enter all their tee marker options (including 9-holes) when WHS was being configured 12+ months ago.

Your club will now need to follow England Golf's process for setting up their 9-hole options on the WHS system. Only then can the club configure the options on their system to enable score entry for handicapping; they will appear on the MyEG app automatically.

Swango1980

Visit site
Our place isn't set up for 9 either. It's a real shame as I'd happily do casual rounds in an evening over that distance. I'm sure many others would do the same. Missed opportunity.
Not sure it is a missed opportunity. I suspect most clubs didn't even know about it, probably still don't.

At my last club, run by an owner, I have no idea when club was assessed, nor was I in direct contact with England Golf, except for attending their workshop. One day, the Ratings certificate was sent across, system set up for whites and yellows (men), and reds (ladies). I was only then told to set up the corresponding ratings on Club V1 for the 18 hole courses.

We never received information about getting course rated for all genders of all tees, nor asked about setting up WHS and Club V1 for 9 hole rounds. It was only on these forums I later learnt these setting up the 9 hole rounds could be requested by the club.

So, it may he something you request to Committee. It may he something they haven't even considered, but would be easy enough to sort out if members wanted it.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
In short, yes you can. However, there must be a valid reason for not playing the remaining holes (e.g. bad weather, fading light, injury, illness, hole closed)

If just playing

Have just read rule 3.2 and those listed are indeed the valid reasons! Im shocked bad weather and fading light are included!

Swango1980

Visit site
Have just read rule 3.2 and those listed are indeed the valid reasons! Im shocked bad weather and fading light are included!
These are just examples, in which Committee can judge whether a decision is valid. Not absolutely definitive.

In other words, if there is a bit of drizzle or the wind picks up, it is not going to be considered valid by Committee that a player stops playing. However, if a lightning storm comes in or greens become flooded, then that would be valid.

If it gets a bit cloudy, and therefore less bright, then it is not valid to stop playing. But, if round was much slower than expected, and it was pretty much dark for last few holes, it would be valid to stop playing and still have the preceding holes count towards handicap.

I agree with an earlier post. If a player tees off and registers for an 18 hole round, knowing 100% they will not get 18 holes complete, then I'd personally not consider that an Acceptable round. It seems a good idea if clubs were set up to allow players to sign in for 9 hole rounds

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Urghh, so the world handicapping ststem might not even be the same from club to club, depending on how your h/c view the weather....

I'm being facetious, I think, this is probably a very rare occurrence....

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
That only works if it is a measured 9 hole course and will therefore be on the Database.
I'm really surprised that England Golf didn't ask for 9 hole courses, we had to submit 9 & 18 hole set ups in the Scottish Golf back end, I just assumed that was a standard thing to do.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
On the other hand.....has the actual implementation of whs here not shown that the goal is to help high handicap golfers and not at all portability?

Portability is handled by the course rating.
Slope is a fine tune on top of that, to better adjust high handicappers versus low ones, not previously allowed for in the SSS system.

So by not implementing the course adjustment, no real easy course/ hard course correction is being made, which is a step back from sss/css, has been implemented. And by only implementing the slope correction, the higher your handicap, the bigger your gain in whs compared to the old system ?

Swango1980

Visit site
Urghh, so the world handicapping ststem might not even be the same from club to club, depending on how your h/c view the weather....

I'm being facetious, I think, this is probably a very rare occurrence....
I think you are. There has to be a valid reason not to play the full round. Unless you expect the computer to work out what a valid reason or not is, you need human beings to make that decision based on whatever evidence there is.

If a human on the handicap committee thinks it is acceptable to terminate a round early because there is a bit of drizzle, it would be right in questioning this decision. I wouldn't finger the blame towards WHS on that one :)

Swango1980

Visit site
On the other hand.....has the actual implementation of whs here not shown that the goal is to help high handicap golfers and not at all portability?

Portability is handled by the course rating.
Slope is a fine tune on top of that, to better adjust high handicappers versus low ones, not previously allowed for in the SSS system.

So by not implementing the course adjustment, no real easy course/ hard course correction is being made, which is a step back from sss/css, has been implemented. And by only implementing the slope correction, the higher your handicap, the bigger your gain in whs compared to the old system ?
In comparison to CONGU handicaps, yes. Assuming the Slope was 113, and therefore the slope adjustment just cancels itself out, the Index would be based on the Gross Differential (Gross-CR). I'm assuming at such a course, in general Player Index values would be very close to their CONGU handicap before (with enough scores on their record)?

Therefore, as the slope goes beyond 113, higher handicappers will start getting more shots in comparison to lower handicappers. That was easily seen at my last course, slope 130 yellows and 133 whites, where single fig handicappers were on avg getting 0-1 shots back, and as you go up the handicaps towards 30+, they were getting 4 to 5 extra shots compared to before (all analysed players having 20 or more scores on their record)

So, I think you are right, higher handicappers have benefitted in comparison to the old system. Arguably, going to play a course with slope less than 113, the higher handicappers will start to lose out in the number of shots they gain relative to lower handicappers. However, I have rarely seen a course with a slope under 113, and when I have it is only just under 113.