What would you do?

• Thread starter Deleted member 23270
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23270

Today is our first monthly competition of the season. There is a 'competition' start sheet that runs from 7:20am till 1pm then 'ordinary' teetimes for the remainder of the afternoon after that. A guy (who is generally a decent bloke) booked the 7:20 time then also booked in again at 1:30 with another member and 2 'guests'. He has a history of booking 'guests' then releasing the space(s) for friends at a later date. The next available space on the booking sheet is 14:28 which is too late to get round in the competition. There were 7 members on the waiting list to play today although this is exceptional and probably down to a combination of 1st competition of the year and limited daylight.

So, should I highlight this to the general manager/committee or let it go?

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
If the competition tee times are from 7:20 until 1pm, what is the problem playing twice in a day if the second round is outwith the competition times? Also if the competition times are as you say, anything after 1pm is too late for the comp so 13:30 or 14:28 are both outwith the times.

D

Deleted member 23270

The guy is perfectly within his rights to play twice in a day but there are (were) 7 members on the waiting list for a space today who won't get a game.

Edit: Sorry didn't make it clear, you can still enter the competition even if playing outside the 'competition' times.

Last edited by a moderator:

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Today is our first monthly competition of the season. There is a 'competition' start sheet that runs from 7:20am till 1pm then 'ordinary' teetimes for the remainder of the afternoon after that. A guy (who is generally a decent bloke) booked the 7:20 time then also booked in again at 1:30 with another member and 2 'guests'. He has a history of booking 'guests' then releasing the space(s) for friends at a later date. The next available space on the booking sheet is 14:28 which is too late to get round in the competition. There were 7 members on the waiting list to play today although this is exceptional and probably down to a combination of 1st competition of the year and limited daylight.

So, should I highlight this to the general manager/committee or let it go?

If members are booking times they are not intending to play on, its an abuse of the system negatively impacting on other members and the golf club itself.

The issue of booking times then not using them should be raised with the committee anyway who should have a policy to deal with.

Wouldn't need to be too draconian, but regular offenders should be flagged and dealt with by the systems put in place.

D

Deleted member 23270

The guy is using the times, he is playing twice on the same day when there are 7 members on a waiting list to play.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
If, as I think you are suggesting, he is booking the second tee time with no intention of using it himself but intending to pass it on to his mates, then I think something needs to be done. You would, however, need to be pretty sure of what is going on and be able to provide believable evidence. It is something that goes on with tee booking systems if it is not challenged.

D

Deleted member 23270

The start sheet is a bunfight when it goes live. I'm guessing that he booked the 7:20 time then immediately booked the 1:30 afterwards while everyone else is trying to book times earlier in the day.

My view is that he is perfectly within his rights to book 2 times and play twice but it shows a certain amount of inconsideration for other members who are unable to get a game.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If he is playing twice then I suppose there's not much you can do.
If he's booking the time to hand over to someone else then that's not playing the game and a nod in the general direction of the GM wouldn't go amiss.
It is one of the problems of booking systems.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
We had a one person one tee time system at my last club which worked well.
If your guy books an early tee time then fine, but if he wants to play again later, he should wait his turn on the first tee with everyone else . IMO

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
If he is playing twice then I suppose there's not much you can do.
If he's booking the time to hand over to someone else then that's not playing the game and a nod in the general direction of the GM wouldn't go amiss.
It is one of the problems of booking systems.

I'd tend to agree with this.

Issue with booking systems up and down the land is that certain people always have a habit of finding the chinks in the system and getting in early while others are constantly left frustrated that they can't get an early time.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I'm sure I'm restricted to the one tee time per day then again we're lucky that the tee booking finishes at 1630 after that it's turn up and play, usually very quiet too.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We had a one person one tee time system at my last club which worked well.
If your guy books an early tee time then fine, but if he wants to play again later, he should wait his turn on the first tee with everyone else . IMO
Same at our place. I can only book one tee time per day. It stops abuses of the system. What is happening at the OP club sounds a bit naughty and not really fair.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
For some reason best known to the powers that be...at the Zoo you can book 3 times per day....yep...3
People book 3 times in a row so they dont have anyone behind them for half an hour....
Not an issue during the week but it happens at weekends
When challenged they just say that they booked the times for people but they didn't turn up...
And nothing gets done....:LOL:
#dontcareanymore:LOL:

D

Deleted member 16999

Why not ask the comp committee to extend the comp time to 2pm.

If 12/24hrs before they are not filled they could release them for general play, that way you are making it about the 7 rather than the 1.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s the system that’s allowing him to book two tee times when other members can’t get a game. That seems unfair to me.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So, a guy signs up to play in a competition.

same guy books to play with two guests after the tee times in said competition.

dont see a problem. If he is playing with two guests, he can’t enter the comp, as who is signing the card? And maybe he just wants a relaxed round in the afternoon with two mates.

if he then doesn’t use the tee time, it’s a different matter...but so far, I see no wrong.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If he has already played the course in the comp earlier in the day, can he still play in the comp later in the day if it's only an 18 hole comp?
Aside from the rules aspect, I don't think our system (IG) would let you enter anyway, as you have already entered a result.