Online comp booking

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Our club uses intelligent golf for the booking system. For comps, it goes live at 7pm 13 days before. So I’ve just booked for the 18th feb comp.

Every week I’m on the site at 6.59 and as soon as the button goes live at 7 I click on it. Yet every week when it finally loads, all the best slots are gone. I’ll then pick one of the other slots, only for that to come up with an error as someone else has booked it. I get booked in eventually but always for a later slot, and it’s not impressing the missus that I’m out of bounds all day.

Can’t get my head around how it can be so booked up when we’re all clicking in at the same time.

So, does anyone know what the secret is? Is there a trick to it?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Super fast broadband and superfast fingers or 5g network on a phone.

For our Saturday medals about 5 seconds after it opens is too late to book the majority of the slots.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Our club uses intelligent golf for the booking system. For comps, it goes live at 7pm 13 days before. So I’ve just booked for the 18th feb comp.

Every week I’m on the site at 6.59 and as soon as the button goes live at 7 I click on it. Yet every week when it finally loads, all the best slots are gone. I’ll then pick one of the other slots, only for that to come up with an error as someone else has booked it. I get booked in eventually but always for a later slot, and it’s not impressing the missus that I’m out of bounds all day.

Can’t get my head around how it can be so booked up when we’re all clicking in at the same time.

Tell your club to run the comps in time zones. 7.30-8.30, etc. Then make a draw at some point.
If it still fills up they need to run a waiting list.
Weekend comps should always be drawn in my opinion.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Super fast broadband and superfast fingers or 5g network on a phone.

For our Saturday medals about 5 seconds after it opens is too late to book the majority of the slots.

Maybe I’ll try it on 5g next week, usually on WiFi.

Tell your club to run the comps in time zones. 7.30-8.30, etc. Then make a draw at some point.

I always get in so it could be worse, just that there must be a cheat code or secret priority queue or something!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I always get in so it could be worse, just that there must be a cheat code or secret priority queue or something!

This is often suggested where I play but the manager checks and he can see at exactly what time all players booked in and is satisfied that no booking takes place before the scheduled time.

It was rumoured that there is some sort of cheat with BRS but it is probably just some well written code that gets in faster than fingers.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Watch the countdown clock until it gets to 2-3 seconds then go to the time you want. You then need to gamble a little. Countdown the last few seconds in your head and have your finger ready to tap the screen. Don't wait, you have to anticipate and go for it.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
On BRS, laptop via wifi, hover over the time you want then as soon as it changes colour hit the button. Did this last night and can see ( admin rights) I made my booking at 8 seconds past 19.30 the allotted start time :)

Skytot

Visit site
No way would our club go online booking for Comps . On Tuesday night draw , the clubhouse is rammed with 3 working behind the bar non stop

evemccc

Visit site
I’ve only been a full member at one golf club but I cannot for the life of me understand why clubs have non-drawn medals

Simply express willingness to enter the comp on the Club’s app and wait and see what tee-time you get and who you’re with…

Want to play with your friends, or at a specific time? Fine - just book a normal 3-ball / 4-ball in an open tee-time..and submit a Sup Score / General Play round.. but don’t choose your PP in any ‘comp’ that’s worth it’s salt

Drawn comps also help integrate new members, reduce the likelihood of ‘shades of grey’ banditry / cheating in comps as you’re most likely not playing with your ‘best buddies’, and helps stop cliques developing by ensuring that those who play comps get to know everyone eventually

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

We use IG, and when we had to have times during CV19 that was often heard. One of our group worked on the practice of actually waiting about 3 or 5 mins, as that way the times booked by others who's partners had already booked then released their times if you get my meaning.
Thankfully now though we are booking time free.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

Exactly how ours are run. We book in slots via BRS and then final times are drawn.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
At ours, tee booking open 14 days in advance (actually 13 & a bit as it opens at 8:00 pm) - & you're bagging a tee slot rather than entry into the competition. You only choose to enter the comp on the actual day when you sign in on the touch screen. You may have a tee-time but there's no compunction to be in the comp itself - though most do. That said, there's just a couple of 'majors' where you register for comp entry, and the draw is done later. For these, it's not critical when you sign in as long as it's done before the given deadline.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Watch the countdown clock until it gets to 2-3 seconds then go to the time you want. You then need to gamble a little. Countdown the last few seconds in your head and have your finger ready to tap the screen. Don't wait, you have to anticipate and go for it.

With ours the button to book isn’t there until it opens. So you’re on the info page for that particular comp, no buttons to click, and then it auto refreshes at 7 and the button appears, at which point I must click it within a split second. Due to the high volume of people doing it at the same time, it then takes probably 20-30 seconds to get to the next page which is another button to click (do you want to book…of course I do, that’s why I’m here!), click that, another 20-30 seconds to load, next page is all the slots and they’ve gone already!

I think next week I’ll keep refreshing the page myself rather than waiting for auto refresh, and also use 5g instead of WiFi, see if it makes any difference.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
With ours the button to book isn’t there until it opens. So you’re on the info page for that particular comp, no buttons to click, and then it auto refreshes at 7 and the button appears, at which point I must click it within a split second. Due to the high volume of people doing it at the same time, it then takes probably 20-30 seconds to get to the next page which is another button to click (do you want to book…of course I do, that’s why I’m here!), click that, another 20-30 seconds to load, next page is all the slots and they’ve gone already!

I think next week I’ll keep refreshing the page myself rather than waiting for auto refresh, and also use 5g instead of WiFi, see if it makes any difference.
That's trickier. One thing that may be worth a try, go for a slightly odd time to the eye. For example, people gravitate to times on the hour, half past etc. If there is an 8.52, try that instead of 9.00. I find that is quite effective, gives me an extra few seconds.

Good luck, there is a good chunk of chance in all of this.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
Question for those at clubs with drawn tee times.
Are you drawn out in some kind of handicap order, or is it completely random?

We only rarely have drawn tee times & even then if it's a singles comp, it's usually done in H/C order.