Online comp booking

D

Deleted member 15344

They don’t have to mix at all. Nobody has said that they do…They don’t need to play comps (assuming comps are drawn)

They can put cards in whilst playing with their mates and only their mates.

They can just “enjoy playing golf “ with their mates and not venture into the clubhouse bar — I obvs have no issue with that whatsoever

But then, why would they want to play in comps? Genuinely I don’t understand why someone would want to, if they only play in their fourball?

Can someone not play in a comp with their mates then 🤷‍♂️

And why just a fourball ? Groups of mates or swindles etc can be bigger

evemccc

Visit site
Can someone not play in a comp with their mates then 🤷‍♂️

And why just a fourball ? Groups of mates or swindles etc can be bigger

Typical….a total avoidance of an explicitly stated genuine question

I repeat, why would someone want to play in a comp at their own course (presumably played it scores of times before if not hundreds)…if they don’t want to mix with others or go into the bar after and don’t know any other players in the comp apart from their PP friends?

Before WHS they would need to in order to put cards in. Not needed to do so now as can do with general play cards..

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Why are some people obsessed with integrating people into their club 🤷🏼‍♂️. You make it sound like some sort of cult.

I occasionally play in our weekend comp. And I do so playing with the same guy I play with every weekend. I’ve got zero interest in being forced into playing with other people then going for a drink afterwards. If that’s your thing, crack on. But don’t assume everyone else wants to do the same, and certainly don’t force it upon other people.

There was no need to play with random people to put cards in under the old system.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just to get into the debate, playing in a comp with your pal or other members makes no difference as I can see? There are 2 of us so we always have a single sign in with us, usually someone we’ve not played with before. It’s nice to meet someone new I agree.

I wouldn’t mind if comps were drawn either, I’m happy to play with anyone and have a beer with them afterwards. But, golf’s a social game, at work all week, it would be a bit weird if I said to my pal ‘I’m not gonna play with you from now on, gonna start booking in with others, might see you in the bar later’. Maybe that’s just my situation as we’re friends outside golf, but still, I play with him because we have a catch up once a week.

The 2 previous clubs I was at weren’t drawn comps either, although one of them was a bit weird and the second I joined during lockdown and so maybe it changed as a result of that. I’ve only ever known booking in online.

D

Deleted member 15344

Typical….a total avoidance of an explicitly stated genuine question

I repeat, why would someone want to play in a comp at their own course (presumably played it scores of times before if not hundreds)…if they don’t want to mix with others or go into the bar after and don’t know any other players in the comp apart from their PP friends?

It’s a stupid question - someone would want to play in a comp for various reasons - to try and win , to play the course at its toughest , multiple reasons

Why does it matter if it’s with mates 🤷‍♂️

Can a bunch of mates not play in a comp together ?

And how did you come to a conclusion that they don’t want to go to the bar 🤷‍♂️

Since when did playing comps bejng about playing with others 🤷‍♂️

Before WHS they would need to in order to put cards in. Not needed to do so now as can do with general play cards..

Not every is putting in general play cards - there are many that still only use comps for their handicap cards

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’d support our club moving to drawn board comps, we only draw our club championship.

1) I like playing comps, so the less it feels like a std round the more up for it I am
2) There are definitely groups out there with different definitions of the rules
3) The sign process is a debacle on IG, individual entry would be fairer
4) I benefit from watching a learning from different players

I get people want to play with their mates & I do to, but I can give it up 1 day a month.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We only have a couple of drawn comps, usually in handicap order.

If I want to play comps, and have been at work all week with the chance the comp is the only chance of having a game of golf…why would I want to play it with anyone else other than people I know so I can enjoy the round of golf?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Why are some people obsessed with integrating people into their club 🤷🏼‍♂️.

From a business point of view I would expect that a player that is well integrated into the golfing side of the club is likely to be more integrated into the wider social side of the club....will know more people and will feel more like...family (for want of a better word). When it comes to renewal, if a golfer feels "at home" at a club there is the possibility that he will be more likely to renew his membership.

Contrast with 4 blokes who join a club and only ever play together, dont really know many others at the club and have no real affinity with the club....they are more likely to disappear off to the next club offering a good deal at renewal time.

I accept that like certain football managers who routinely only stay at a club for maybe 3 seasons, you will always get the groups of golfers who flit from club to club every couple of years....but a good business will try to create the right conditions to retain these golfers as much as possible.

I've seen it at my own club which is a mere shell of what it used to be. All club comps were entered by players stating if they wanted an early, middle or late tee time (with no real definitions of specific times), comps would then be drawn as far as possible within the confines of when players wanted to play....in this manner players would pretty much always play with different people every week (over a period of time they would be paired with golfers that theyve previously played with simply due to the time zone restriction...but by that time they would already have met a number of people)....the club was lively in the bar afterwards, every one talked to each other which increased as people got to know more people, team events became more interesting as Teams were a lot more fluid and not always the same groups in every event. The club was "alive".

Come C-19 and when golf first started going again we moved to a structure where you just booked a tee time with your mates and turned up and played....we picked up lots of new members after Covid...but nobody knows anyone any more, the clubhouse is a quiet room full of folks who are largely strangers to each other. The club feels less like a club than it has ever done.

D

Deleted member 15344

From a business point of view I would expect that a player that is well integrated into the golfing side of the club is likely to be more integrated into the wider social side of the club....will know more people and will feel more like...family (for want of a better word). When it comes to renewal, if a golfer feels "at home" at a club there is the possibility that he will be more likely to renew his membership.

Contrast with 4 blokes who join a club and only ever play together, dont really know many others at the club and have no real affinity with the club....they are more likely to disappear off to the next club offering a good deal at renewal time.

I accept that like certain football managers who routinely only stay at a club for maybe 3 seasons, you will always get the groups of golfers who flit from club to club every couple of years....but a good business will try to create the right conditions to retain these golfers as much as possible.

I've seen it at my own club which is a mere shell of what it used to be. All club comps were entered by players stating if they wanted an early, middle or late tee time (with no real definitions of specific times), comps would then be drawn as far as possible within the confines of when players wanted to play....in this manner players would pretty much always play with different people every week (over a period of time they would be paired with golfers that theyve previously played with simply due to the time zone restriction...but by that time they would already have met a number of people)....the club was lively in the bar afterwards, every one talked to each other which increased as people got to know more people, team events became more interesting as Teams were a lot more fluid and not always the same groups in every event. The club was "alive".

Come C-19 and when golf first started going again we moved to a structure where you just booked a tee time with your mates and turned up and played....we picked up lots of new members after Covid...but nobody knows anyone any more, the clubhouse is a quiet room full of folks who are largely strangers to each other. The club feels less like a club than it has ever done.

Our club is generally full of swindles throughout the week - especially at the weekends - before it was rock up and play and was hard for people to get integrated .After Covid as with most clubs we took on loads of new members , tee bookings allowed them to join any booking and they were also given the names of swindle organisers etc and they joined in

There are the odd 4ball at the weekend who seem to stick together but the clubhouse these days is rammed - if anything it’s getting too busy especially on a Sunday as it gets very loud - our next stage in club development will be to look at a way of extending the golf bar

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
What happens if you are rubbish at drawing? (sorry nicked and altered to fit from a program a few nights ago and I've had a drink....hic and I need it so don't judge).