Online comp booking

evemccc

Visit site
Random — but for club champs or the other (secondary) main day-long Stableford it’s handicap order

Last obvs best golfers

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve only been a full member at one golf club but I cannot for the life of me understand why clubs have non-drawn medals

We have one drawn partner comp a year in the seniors section. It only gets around 60-70% of the normal number of entries with quite a lot booking the 9 hole course instead. Choose within a given time period and often you will just end up playing with guys who you quite often play with any way as we all go for roughly the same time period on a non comp week.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That's trickier. One thing that may be worth a try, go for a slightly odd time to the eye. For example, people gravitate to times on the hour, half past etc. If there is an 8.52, try that instead of 9.00. I find that is quite effective, gives me an extra few seconds.

Good luck, there is a good chunk of chance in all of this.

I normally eye up something like 9.08, but it’s probably a good idea, 9.24 maybe.

CountLippe

Visit site
Our club uses intelligent golf for the booking system. For comps, it goes live at 7pm 13 days before. So I’ve just booked for the 18th feb comp.

Every week I’m on the site at 6.59 and as soon as the button goes live at 7 I click on it. Yet every week when it finally loads, all the best slots are gone. I’ll then pick one of the other slots, only for that to come up with an error as someone else has booked it. I get booked in eventually but always for a later slot, and it’s not impressing the missus that I’m out of bounds all day.

Can’t get my head around how it can be so booked up when we’re all clicking in at the same time.

So, does anyone know what the secret is? Is there a trick to it?

We use IG, we've found refreshing at 6.59 and 59 seconds will get you in. Any earlier doesn't work. Leave it till 7.00 dead and half the slots have gone. Obviously there's a few folk in the know about this.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We use IG, we've found refreshing at 6.59 and 59 seconds will get you in. Any earlier doesn't work. Leave it till 7.00 dead and half the slots have gone. Obviously there's a few folk in the know about this.

Interesting…the page does say ‘no need to refresh’ bug maybe there is!

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well, tried using 5g, refreshing until the button appeared, got in, all the good slots gone. Some funny business going on.

evemccc

Visit site
Genuinely, what’s the point of doing club medals and comps if you don’t mix PP through drawn tee-times - thus don’t meet new people? I can’t see a benefit to it…

You can put cards in and try and get a low handicap through WHS now. What’s the point in being ‘competitive’ if you don’t know the people who you’re trying to beat to win the comps?
Surely one of the main reasons of being a member is playing comps and knowing people at your club…that and lots of cost-effective golf obvs being the other reason (the downside being the same course again and again and again)

To your example @timd77 if you can’t get a decent slot without fighting tooth and nail, it’s not worth doing comps…and if it’s not worth doing comps…it may not be worth being a member…
These sort of clubs need a wake-up call IMO

D

Deleted member 15344

Genuinely, what’s the point of doing club medals and comps if you don’t mix PP through drawn tee-times - thus don’t meet new people? I can’t see a benefit to it…

You can put cards in and try and get a low handicap through WHS now. What’s the point in being ‘competitive’ if you don’t know the people who you’re trying to beat to win the comps?
Surely one of the main reasons of being a member is playing comps and knowing people at your club…that and lots of cost-effective golf obvs being the other reason (the downside being the same course again and again and again)

To your example @timd77 if you can’t get a decent slot without fighting tooth and nail, it’s not worth doing comps…and if it’s not worth doing comps…it may not be worth being a member…
These sort of clubs need a wake-up call IMO

why do you have to mix with other people in the golf club 🤷‍♂️

Can people not be happy playing within their group of people

Peoples main reason for being a member will vary but most I know just want to enjoy playing golf

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Peoples main reason for being a member will vary but most I know just want to enjoy playing golf
For bounce games fine, but comps should be drawn for fairness and to help new members to get a chance to actually integrate into the club. Some clubs are full of cliques, that's not A club.

D

Deleted member 15344

For bounce games fine, but comps should be drawn for fairness and to help new members to get a chance to actually integrate into the club. Some clubs are full of cliques, that's not A club.

There are many ways that new members can integrate into a new club beyond forcing people to play with people they may not want too

And why is a drawn comp “fairer” 🤷‍♂️

Every single club is full of “cliques” - they are called swindles to most

People pay good money to join a club and they want to enjoy their time

It’s a hobby , pastime for club members.

Thankfully we have just the three drawn comps - the rest you can play with whoever you want

MiurasFan

Blackballed
Visit site
I'd suggest you opt for an 'acceptable' slot, as opposed to an 'optimum' one, with your first attempt. You might then be able to 'improve' that with subsequent attempts.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
We book online
7 day members - 15 days in advance
Less if you're a 5 day or flexi member

We have just a few drawn comps, mainly Bowmakers, all other times we just book our tee times & play with whoever we want (which I like)
I never have an issue getting the tee time I want.
99% of our members are great & I have no issue playing with them, but I wouldn't want virtually every comp to be drawn.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

I would have hoped that was pretty obvious, Phil. It prevents mates playing with mates and having a relaxed approach to the rules.

Classic example. Two brothers joined ours a few years ago, both with 28 handicaps. For reasons best known to the starter, the start sheet was altered and the brothers allowed to play a monthly stableford as a 2-ball, despite the comp being a drawn 3-ball event.

The pair came in with 41 and 43 points. Nothing suspicious on the face of it you might think, but we saw them hit their tee shots at 16, a 400+ yard par 4. One was in the water from the tee and played a provisional, the other in the cabbage leaving himself 250 yards. We looked at their cards on HDID when we saw they had finished 1st and 3rd and both had signed for pars. Trust me, neither were making par after their drives.

“Fair” may be the wrong word to use, but this was not the first time the integrity of some of our results have been seriously called into question when mates are allowed to make their own groups up on competition start sheets.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There are many ways that new members can integrate into a new club beyond forcing people to play with people they may not want too

Every single club is full of “cliques” - they are called swindles to most

People pay good money to join a club and they want to enjoy their time

It’s a hobby , pastime for club members.

Thankfully we have just the three drawn comps - the rest you can play with whoever you want
🤷

D

Deleted member 15344

I would have hoped that was pretty obvious, Phil. It prevents mates playing with mates and having a relaxed approach to the rules.

Classic example. Two brothers joined ours a few years ago, both with 28 handicaps. For reasons best known to the starter, the start sheet was altered and the brothers allowed to play a monthly stableford as a 2-ball, despite the comp being a drawn 3-ball event.

The pair came in with 41 and 43 points. Nothing suspicious on the face of it you might think, but we saw them hit their tee shots at 16, a 400+ yard par 4. One was in the water from the tee and played a provisional, the other in the cabbage leaving himself 250 yards. We looked at their cards on HDID when we saw they had finished 1st and 3rd and both had signed for pars. Trust me, neither were making par after their drives.

“Fair” may be the wrong word to use, but this was not the first time the integrity of some of our results have been seriously called into question when mates are allowed to make their own groups up on competition start sheets.

If someone wants to cheat then they will find a way to cheat even in a draw competition

It all comes down to trust and I would hope people would be trusted first

Just because people are playing with mates doesn’t mean they wouldn’t treat the competition seriously and play within the rules

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
If someone wants to cheat then they will find a way to cheat even in a draw competition

It all comes down to trust and I would hope people would be trusted first

Just because people are playing with mates doesn’t mean they wouldn’t treat the competition seriously and play within the rules

I get all that, but if someone is inclined to cheat, they are far more likely to try it on if they are playing in the comfort zone of a regular 3 or 4-ball. Just my view based on some previous incidents at ours, which we don’t seem to have in drawn events.

Some of the most dubious occurrences take place in team events such as scrambles, where there is obviously no draw. We have a regular 4-ball who enter every scramble (we have two or three a year) and are always in the prizes, regularly winning by several shots. They were caught out cheating last summer. The same four never play drawn competitions, which form the majority of our calendar.

evemccc

Visit site

They don’t have to mix at all. Nobody has said that they do…They don’t need to play comps (assuming comps are drawn)

They can put cards in whilst playing with their mates and only their mates.

They can just “enjoy playing golf “ with their mates and not venture into the clubhouse bar — I obvs have no issue with that whatsoever

But then, why would they want to play in comps? Genuinely I don’t understand why someone would want to, if they only play in their fourball?