What type of golf club member are you

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

What type of golf club member are you

• Total voters

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It’s not always the deco that makes a place unwelcoming!
I know but in a lot of clubhouses (pubs, social clubs etc) I've been in it hasn't helped provide a warm welcome. We do have some very good bar and catering staff now as well who also make visitors more welcome. It is small things usually that can make the difference and a polite hello how are you costs nothing

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Sometimes I think you actually are the android in your picture - if you've never heard of a Sunday roast. :LOL:
Ah, thanks for the link.
A very old-fashioned custom for people stuck in the past. I get it now.
I think my mum and dad must have been very modern back in the 1960s and 70s.
Might have had something to do with dad having one of those 7-day jobs with varying days off.
The picture looks similar to what I served up on Xmas day, but turkey instead of beef.
It was a Monday lunch, however.
Can't remember what we had the day before.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s not always the deco that makes a place unwelcoming!

Exactly, dress code, stuffy atmosphere, outdated and outmoded attitudes that can border on the offensive. There are no end of things I would alter about some golf clubs before we even got in to the decor.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ah, thanks for the link.
A very old-fashioned custom for people stuck in the past. I get it now.
I think my mum and dad must have been very modern back in the 1960s and 70s.
Might have had something to do with dad having one of those 7-day jobs with varying days off.
The picture looks similar to what I served up on Xmas day, but turkey instead of beef.
It was a Monday lunch, however.
Can't remember what we had the day before.
I'm not a big Sunday roast fan personally. When I was a kid my mum used to make one every Sunday without fail, I just got sick of them eventually. Nowadays we occasionally go for one if my wife fancies it but very rare that I'm in the mood. Would rather have a burger and chips.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I know but in a lot of clubhouses (pubs, social clubs etc) I've been in it hasn't helped provide a warm welcome. We do have some very good bar and catering staff now as well who also make visitors more welcome. It is small things usually that can make the difference and a polite hello how are you costs nothing

Honestly, not one of those would make blind bit of difference to me. I have had a beer in no end of establishments the length and breadth of the country with the decor and staff ranging from the very high to very low but that does not make atmosphere.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't have time for all these things

Breakfast is 7am with the kids

Drop them off at nursery 9am

Tee off 09:30

Finish 13:30

Either stay for a drink or head home clean the clubs and change before picking them up at 15:00

If I were going to the club now, there is an excellent locally run cafe that we all to pass on the way to the club. Does a great breakfast at a decent price and I use it quite often. I suspect that we would all meet there for food and a coffee over the club offering (if it were open at that time).

Springveldt

Visit site
I'm not a big Sunday roast fan personally. When I was a kid my mum used to make one every Sunday without fail, I just got sick of them eventually. Nowadays we occasionally go for one if my wife fancies it but very rare that I'm in the mood. Would rather have a burger and chips.
My wife's parents owned fruit and veg shops so I get about 4 or 5 meals a week which resemble a Sunday dinner, just the meat that changes. Before I met her I ate next to no veg, my father in law used to say she was putting years on my life making me a proper dinner. Tonight for instance it will be potato's, broccoli, turnip, green beans, cabbage and pork joint. Yesterday was basically the same except the meat was brazing steak done in the slow cooker.

I really, really look forward to Friday night take aways. :LOL:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Same. At Xmas when it's just a big Sunday dinner for like 3 days. Sod that

Give me a good curry anyday

However when the wife does her mini roasts randomly they are good

Springveldt

Visit site
I'm #2, very rare we don't stop for a pint afterwards. I'll often get food as well, something like a toastie or a panini. Will often grab breakfast at the half way hut as I'm usually rushing to make my tee time.

On the rare occasions I arrive early its to try and warm up and the clubhouse isn't open at 8am anyway.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Will often grab breakfast at the half way hut as I'm usually rushing to make my tee time.
Played a Saturday comp with a shift worker, think last year. He had nothing to eat and at the hut he bought a sausage sandwich. He was so hungry and excited by it he overfilled the sauce, forgot the napkins. He blew up on the next 4 holes because his hands were so messy and greasy, he couldn't grip his driver without it slipping around. It was hard not to laugh a little (I failed :LOL: )

I do like the halfway hut and I do always use it, use or lose it.........even if just for a hot drink and a yorkie (i do like a yorkie after 9 😋 )

apj0524

Head Pro
Visit site
Other, Turn up early make sure comp is running have a coffee, play, have some food, stay later or come back to close the comp - Life as Chair of M&H

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
If I’m on my own for a hit, I’m normally straight out then school pick up straight after.
If I’m out with people then I’ll go in for a drink and something to eat.
One thing that does annoy me is, on the weekends the course is rammed and the catering doesn’t open until 09:30, I’d definitely have a roll and coffee before heading out if it was open earlier.

Springveldt

Visit site
Played a Saturday comp with a shift worker, think last year. He had nothing to eat and at the hut he bought a sausage sandwich. He was so hungry and excited by it he overfilled the sauce, forgot the napkins. He blew up on the next 4 holes because his hands were so messy and greasy, he couldn't grip his driver without it slipping around. It was hard not to laugh a little (I failed :LOL: )

I do like the halfway hut and I do always use it, use or lose it.........even if just for a hot drink and a yorkie (i do like a yorkie after 9 😋 )
Didn't like the sausage sandwich I got, the skin was so thick on them that I commented that I wasn't sure if the sausage factory had got the order mixed up and used condoms for the skin.

The ham and pease pudding sandwiches are a winner though.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
One thing that does annoy me is, on the weekends the course is rammed and the catering doesn’t open until 09:30, I’d definitely have a roll and coffee before heading out if it was open earlier.
This is one where clubs need to do their homework. When are the peaks and troughs of demand, are you meeting those peaks? You don't need sophisticated staff to run up bacon or sausage rolls first thing. You could even batch cook them at 7, or whenever, and just keep them heated after that so it just becomes a making station. Easy money.

D

Deleted member 35577

Interesting thread this one. From reading lots of other posts in various threads it is quite easy to work out peoples responses in this one before even reading them.

D

Deleted member 15344

This is one where clubs need to do their homework. When are the peaks and troughs of demand, are you meeting those peaks? You don't need sophisticated staff to run up bacon or sausage rolls first thing. You could even batch cook them at 7, or whenever, and just keep them heated after that so it just becomes a making station. Easy money.

It’s something we were guilty off and so we got the halfway hut sorted better

That’s now open at 8 am and can get your baps , coffee , soup , sausage rolls , bakes and even eggs done if you want

The kitchen staff are on site from 7

So now we are looking at getting all sorted so that you can order on the app without the bar open

We generally eat after golf, but if one of us has to get away, it's no big deal they just go.

Everyone is different, with different calls on their time, so what's the issue?
I didn’t think there was any issues ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I’m on my own for a hit, I’m normally straight out then school pick up straight after.
If I’m out with people then I’ll go in for a drink and something to eat.
Yeah, same thing at ours, I posted in irritations the other day - club has started doing catering in-house, sausage and bacon sandwiches on offer... from 11am. What's the point? :LOL: At my old club (6 or 7 years ago) we often used to meet before our round for a sit-down breakfast. Not really possible now unless we're playing after midday I guess.