Bar & Catering

Jdb2005

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Good evening

Not posted for a good few years but looking for some advice and input.

Does your current golf club lease out their bar and catering to outside businesses or do they follow the traditional route of club master and catering .

If they follow the lease out option what do you feel are the pros and cons of that arrangement .

Any input greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Our bar/ kitchen is run by the club owners (proprietary club)

I’ll be honest, food quality is great but it’s all about the profit for them. I appreciate costs go up but since I joined (3 years) a toasted tea cake alone has gone from 75p to £2.50 😂

I’ve found pricing at member owned clubs is far better and the bar is far busier post round.

Getting the balance right is key, if prices go too high people simply go elsewhere.

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
We are a members club where both our Bar and Catering is franschised out. The same franchisee has been operating here for around 5 years. In the preceeding three or four years we had a number of catering only contractors who could not make it work for them financially, so the decision was made to outsource both. As I understand it its all done on a profit sharing basis, the income the club receives is very close to the previous bar only profits (we charged caterers nothing).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ours was franchised until during the lockdown periods

Advantages -
Guaranteed income
No responsibility for recruiting staff their wages pensions etc.

Disadvantages
No control over who uses the club house - dress codes etc
No control over staff numbers
No real control over prices although this did get agreed for some items between Directors and franchisee but overall costs to members rose noticeably
No real control over opening hours

We are now run 'in house' but no longer have a club steward/stewardess so no longer have to provide accommodation so can let the flat out if we want to.

Prior to being franchise we made no profit on our bar any excess of cost was more than swallowed up by the costs of staff and profits on catering went to the stewards. I have not checked the current accounts to see how we fare now.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
F&B at home club is leased out to a local restaurant who still have their original standalone restaurant elsewhere (so a 2nd location for them really) I guess the other restaurant is an evening thing mostly so it probably fits very well to manage/run another site that's busier at lunchtime than the other place will be

Above average food and below average prices. Lots of non-golf functions/events going on too, so it all seems to be working well