What type of Golf Balls do you use?

Do you favour any type of golf ball?

• Premium (e.g. say over £35 per dozen)

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • Upper Mid Range (e.g. say £25-35 per dozen)

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Lower Mid Range (e.g. say £20-25 per dozen)

Votes: 20 19.6%
  • Budget (e.g. Under £20)

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Lake Balls

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Whatever you find, any ball

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Whatever you find, as long as it isn't a Pinnacle / Top Flight (or similar)

Votes: 6 5.9%

• Total voters

D-S

Visit site
Not at all.

For example. Last course I played at, there were 3 holes that required reasonable carry, one required about 180 yards carry (usually into wind), the other 2 about 210-220 yards carry. If I was playing confident, I'd just hit the best ball. But often I'd go to an old ball. I'm hitting driver all day long whichever ball I use, and if I hit it well I'm getting over the water easily with a new or an old ball. But if I strike it poorly, then it brings the water into play with both balls. So, if there is a chance I could hit it in the water, I'd rather it was from some older golf ball (that I probably found for free anyway).
If you don't factor in your equipment, in this case the ball, into your shot choice then more fool you. If i am playing with a beat up pinnacle I'm not going to play a shot which relies on spin, similarly if I am playing with an old scuffed ball I will not assume it will carry the same distance as a brand new premium one and will club accordingly.

Swango1980

Visit site
If you don't factor in your equipment, in this case the ball, into your shot choice then more fool you. If i am playing with a beat up pinnacle I'm not going to play a shot which relies on spin, similarly if I am playing with an old scuffed ball I will not assume it will carry the same distance as a brand new premium one and will club accordingly.
I'm not sure what you are getting at???

In either case, I KNOW I can clear the water. The ball is not ultimately going to be the reason I don't, it will be a bad shot. And whether I mishit it or not will have nothing to do with the ball. It will be my swing. Therefore, I'm not trading off the fact that I will potentially lose a cheap ball against reducing my odds at clearing the water. As far as I'm concerned, there could be a 20% chance that the ball will go in the water, regardless of what ball I hit. And so if that 20% comes true, it has saved me from using a brand new golf ball.

Furthermore, even on the very rare occasion that a golfer is taking on a carry that they think they can only JUST carry (maybe in a scramble, or match play when being aggressive), I can still see them deciding to take a rubbish ball. Because in that case, as an amateur golfer, they are highly likely to lose the golf ball (given that there is a chance even if they hit it well, plus guaranteed if they hit it poorly which happens often). So they'll likely use the rubbish golf ball, take the risk on. Unless they've done extensive gapping of all their clubs, they may not be fully aware that a brand new golf ball will only get them over by a few yards anyway, and I'm sure they won't be exactly certain of all the in depth characteristics and performance attributes of every ball, new and old. If they are being that aggressive, it is generally based on blind faith and they might not even be able to guarantee a new ball would get over if they hit it their best. A small shift in breeze into or behind could make all the difference.

JayB

Visit site
AD333 for me, like the feel and look and although I don't lose too many now this wasn't always the case so choose something within a reasonable price range.

I have a few dozen Chrome Softs at home as they always seem to be the free gift when buying other golf stuff. I tried them for a few rounds but preferred the AD333

Absolutely hate putting with Pro V1's

D-S

Visit site
AD333 for me, like the feel and look and although I don't lose too many now this wasn't always the case so choose something within a reasonable price range.

I have a few dozen Chrome Softs at home as they always seem to be the free gift when buying other golf stuff. I tried them for a few rounds but preferred the AD333

Absolutely hate putting with Pro V1's
I honestly don’t think I could tell the difference in a blind test putting with a ProV1 and an AD333.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
feel = sound

Dont some feel heavier to putt to you? I've never tried blindfolded putting but I've used a wicked variety over my years golfing and some just feel like bricks in comparison to soft balls off my putter face.

Putter does have microhinge insert though which kind of removes the noise element a lot.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The putter face makes a huge difference to sound/feel....
If you have a milled face Scotty or similar the difference, in my experience, is greater than with an insert face.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Dont some feel heavier to putt to you? I've never tried blindfolded putting but I've used a wicked variety over my years golfing and some just feel like bricks in comparison to soft balls off my putter face.

Putter does have microhinge insert though which kind of removes the noise element a lot.
i don't like using soft golf balls as they feel heavier to me

D

Deleted member 1147

Put earphones in on loud. Hit some putts. I bet that if you don’t hear the click of impact they wont feel different.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Callaway chrome soft at the moment because GM were kind enough to give me a few dozen

If buying them I like the Bridgestone BXS, initially because they were a bit cheaper for premium balls, especially the ones with Tiger printed on them £28 per dozen when I got them

Then I found they span more consistently with chips for me so stuck with them