What type of Golf Balls do you use?

Do you favour any type of golf ball?

• Premium (e.g. say over £35 per dozen)

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • Upper Mid Range (e.g. say £25-35 per dozen)

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Lower Mid Range (e.g. say £20-25 per dozen)

Votes: 20 19.6%
  • Budget (e.g. Under £20)

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Lake Balls

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Whatever you find, any ball

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Whatever you find, as long as it isn't a Pinnacle / Top Flight (or similar)

Votes: 6 5.9%

• Total voters

Swango1980

Visit site
In normal summer conditions, what type of golf balls would people generally use? I appreciate if you play a lot of golf, you may mix things up a bit, so only really speaking what you general tendency would be on your bigger rounds (say club comps or a golf break at nice courses).

For example, in the winter or the many social rounds of golf I play, I may well use some of the golf balls I find around the course. But generally, especially in comps, I use Callaway Chrome Softs and so I'll select this option in the poll.

D

Deleted member 1147

I get vouchers from work for American Golf. So when I need new ones I get whichever premium ball is on offer.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Soft balls, not concerned about the brand although when I occasionally buy some I tend to go with Callaway Supersoft.

I don't know where that puts me in the poll so I've not voted.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Last season was largely Wilson lake balls. I've just bought 40 Taylormade lake balls (or second hand balls, pearl grade) so that should see me through 2024.

Having 'a ball' is not a thing for me. Appreciate everyone is different.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pro V1 or the latest model Pro V1x. The earlier x feels too firm to me. I have always played Titleist balls, even when they were balata covered. I don’t lose many and as the modern premium balls are more durable than a ball with a harder cover the premium balls last me ages.

Swango1980

Visit site
Soft balls, not concerned about the brand although when I occasionally buy some I tend to go with Callaway Supersoft.

I don't know where that puts me in the poll so I've not voted.
I suspect the last option would be best, any ball except the really rubbish ones

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
What Srixon 1 says....except I didn't use the balata ones....First "proper" ball i used was the Maxfli Revolution.
I'll also have some TP5s/Chromesoft X/ Z Star available.
Have been using the new Mizuno RB Tour.....as good as a ProV for a lot less..

D

Deleted member 25172

Hard to pick any of the options as I chop and change. I'd typically look around for Srixon Z-Star 4-for-3 offers, or I buy bulk of Kirkland. But I then use Pro V1s whenever you win a raffle, prize in a comp etc. But, let's go with upper mid-range. There is absolutely no way under any circumstances I'd pay £40+, or even £35+ for a dozen golf balls.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've gone for 'upper mid range'. Normally not the top premium balls (ProV1 etc) because they're too expensive, too firm, and not designed for slow swingers like me anyway so practically useless. I go for the softer premiums with lower spin - most recently Bridgestone RXS. Next Spring I'm going to try the Seed SD-05 which should be the same kind of thing but cheaper.

RichA

Visit site
I vary.
Last spring I bought a couple of lots of pre-loved Titleist Tour Speed on eBay, most of which are gone now. They worked out just under £1 each and looked like they'd barely been hit. Decent balls.
At the beginning of October I bought 2 dozen Taylormade RBZ Soft for winter use for £32. I haven't used many of them yet but know that I like how they feel off an iron in the cold.
I find quite a lot of premium balls and have been mostly using them for the last couple of months while it's been mild.
Performance wise, I can't really tell the difference between most premium and mid-range balls. Slightly softer ones just feel nicer.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I use premium balls, but I’m well aware they are wasted on me, I’m not good enough to notice the difference.
Cost doesn’t come into it for me, golf is my main hobby these days and I’ll spend what I spend.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Premium balls when they’re on offer. Got 3 dozen pro vs from our pro for £100 last Xmas and bought some Bridgestone X from Clubhouse for £25 on Black Friday deal.

babylonsinger

Visit site
Generally play balls I find that appear to be in good condition. No particular brand but I do seem to find more Srixon and Callaway than any other brands.

Planning on using a ball for a period when I get back playing next year. Bought a box of Seed Sd15 so they will be first

Swango1980

Visit site
I know many players who will spend £500+ on a driver, but won't spend more than a couple of quid on balls. Doesn't make sense to me.
Because I'm guessing they plan to keep the driver for a good few years.

Whereas if they bought brand new Pro Vs all the time, and lost about 12 balls a month, it'll cost them about £600 a year. And some might lose a lot more than 12 balls a month if they play a decent amount of golf. I know a guy who lost 5 balls in one hole. They were personalised as well :)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Srixon ad333

Normally buy when on offer from clubhouse golf with free printing so I can put my initials on.. saves marking them up

Just find it a nice all round ball at a decent price

Gopher

Club Champion
Visit site
A while ago I had a couple of really good rounds with Srixon AD333, so they are my go-to balls now. Why change if you find a ball that you like.. and they are mid-range, affordable and I find quite a few in the trees too.