What type of Golf Balls do you use?

Do you favour any type of golf ball?

• Premium (e.g. say over £35 per dozen)

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • Upper Mid Range (e.g. say £25-35 per dozen)

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Lower Mid Range (e.g. say £20-25 per dozen)

Votes: 20 19.6%
  • Budget (e.g. Under £20)

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Lake Balls

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Whatever you find, any ball

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Whatever you find, as long as it isn't a Pinnacle / Top Flight (or similar)

Votes: 6 5.9%

• Total voters

Swango1980

Visit site
Why are balls in a box of three no longer individually wrapped in a paper ? Even premium balls dont seem to have it.
I know. It is a disgrace. I was also thinking the same about my large bag of pink tees. They should all be wrapped, so it is an occasion every time you go and get a brand new one.

sjw

Visit site
a bit handicap snobberish there 🙂. Any player can benefit from using the same ball all the time and as a mid handicapper who extensively tested balls over time I found the AVX was great at reducing my slice that I used to play with.
Not trying to be snobby at all - I'm an 18 cap 😂

Consistently using the same ball, I totally get behind. It's just when you look at the my golf spy study etc and see that the difference between balls in terms of % is much less than the mid handicapper's swing changes each shot, it seems silly to pay £50 a dozen for balls when there are some out there that perform pretty much as well for a third of the cost

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Consistently using the same ball, I totally get behind. It's just when you look at the my golf spy study etc and see that the difference between balls in terms of % is much less than the mid handicapper's swing changes each shot, it seems silly to pay £50 a dozen for balls when there are some out there that perform pretty much as well for a third of the cost
Even playing the same ball, or changing to the latest foundling every hole, will not be noticed not make any difference to the score of anyone not scratch or better. The marketing is powerful though, and its easy for many to succumb.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It can be a psychological thing. If you think you will play better with a certain ball, then you probably will.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site

The only thing I’d say is higher handicappers tend to lose more balls than wear them out so cheaper is maybe better but I have a mate who plays off 32. He can’t hit his driver past 150 but is short game is so much better since he moved to a pro v which has more nip on the greens.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Why does that make sense if you're not a top player yourself? I don't buy an F1 car because the top drivers drive them. 😂
There's a reason why the top players use them, it's because they are the best balls.
And I did add the caveat ''if you can afford them''
As far as I remember, a sleeve of Pro V 1's are cheaper than a formula one car.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Why does that make sense if you're not a top player yourself? I don't buy an F1 car because the top drivers drive them. 😂
But people do buy what the best use, if they can afford it. Its the human instinct to copy the perceived best in the tribe. Its what all advertising, influencing, and sponsorship is about.

Agree it is not rational. But we arent rational. People buy the Taylormade driver or wear the Footjoy shirt because we see champions on TV using them. We buy them even though we dont need them, or even if they arent the best suited to us. It is literally, an aping of the best. (it suited our distant ancestors to choose a certain stick size, and copy the swing technique of the pack leader who successfully beat off the sabre tooth tiger - thise who copied, survived to tell the tale too)

Ball manufactures didnt want bifurcation for this reason. It wasnt for philosophical, golf purity, or traditions sake. They depend on getting people to buy £50 balls they dont need, on the lure that : Rory plays it...so you must too. The ball being different would have sunk the ease of that job.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
There's a reason why the top players use them, it's because they are the best balls.
Missing the point. If Rory had a set of butter knife blades should I also get some, because that's what the best use? Of course not, I don't have the skill to use them. ProV1s are not designed for people who swing it 85mph, that's a fact. Me using them would be a total waste of money and time.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But people do buy what the best use, if they can afford it. Its the human instinct to copy the perceived best in the tribe. Its what all advertising, influencing, and sponsorship is about.

Agree it is not rational. But we arent rational. People buy the Taylormade driver or wear the Footjoy shirt because we see champions on TV using them. We buy them even though we dont need them, or even if they arent the best suited to us. It is literally, an aping of the best. (it suited our distant ancestors to choose a certain stick size, and copy the swing technique of the pack leader who successfully beat off the sabre tooth tiger - thise who copied, survived to tell the tale too)

Ball manufactures didnt want bifurcation for this reason. It wasnt for philosophical, golf purity, or traditions sake. They depend on getting people to buy £50 balls they dont need, on the lure that : Rory plays it...so you must too. The ball being different would have sunk the ease of that job.
I said the same thing. The only reason we've got this stupid ball solution instead of just having a 'professional ball' is because Titleist and the like wouldn't allow it. They have to be able to sell us the ball the pros supposedly use. Annoys me no end. Marketing always wins.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Oh yeh! Most "popular" as in so many top pro's are paid a small fortune to use them compared to other manufacturers?

No wonder they are so expensive :rolleyes:
Do you think a top tour player would use an inferior ball just because they get paid a small fortune to use them...bearing in mind they are playing for large fortunes every week?

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Do you think a top tour player would use an inferior ball just because they get paid a small fortune to use them...bearing in mind they are playing for large fortunes every week?
Rather disengenuous there Bob. Not up to your usual standard! No-one has suggested that any manufacturer's range of "premium" balls is inferior. It shoudn't need me to explain to you that most top pros are contracted to use certain manufacturer's equipment, in this case balls, for rather a large amount of money. Naturally they will select the particular ball in the range that suits them best, and they will be supplied free balls that have no doubt been carefully selected from that range. It might be cynical of me to even consider that balls (and/or other equipment) could be tweaked/rebranded to suit the player. :eek:

The manufacturer that has signed up the most number of top pros will, by definition, have the accolade of "most popular" ball on tour.

wjemather

Visit site
They are the best balls for fast swinging tour players, but that does not automatically make them the best balls for slow swinging amateurs.

Bubba Watson did just that; and he's far from the only one to have switched balls (or any other equipment for that matter) for money and struggled mightily; some have even seen their career disappear down the drain permanently.