What type of Golf Balls do you use?

Do you favour any type of golf ball?

• Premium (e.g. say over £35 per dozen)

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • Upper Mid Range (e.g. say £25-35 per dozen)

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Lower Mid Range (e.g. say £20-25 per dozen)

Votes: 20 19.6%
  • Budget (e.g. Under £20)

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Lake Balls

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Whatever you find, any ball

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Whatever you find, as long as it isn't a Pinnacle / Top Flight (or similar)

Votes: 6 5.9%

• Total voters

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Interested to know from those that use different ball in summer & winter. If its a crappy summers day do you use your winter ball of choice?
No. Summer ball. In the winter our fairways and greens are fine, but miss a fairway or the semi and there is a very good chance you’ll never see the ball again.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No. Summer ball. In the winter our fairways and greens are fine, but miss a fairway or the semi and there is a very good chance you’ll never see the ball again.
Interesting with us the misses are the other way round. Its the growth of vegetation that makes shots into the rough difficult to find. Apart from late Autumn when the leaves can make it difficult its usually much easier to find a ball in winter than summer. Our fairway shots are off mats anyway.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Interested to know from those that use different ball in summer & winter. If its a crappy summers day do you use your winter ball of choice?
I use cheap balls in the winter because they get lost so often - under leaves, plugging and getting covered in mud etc etc. The clay based nature of the ground means that there is no lovely ball/turf interaction.
In the summer, none of the above applies. And if it's a crappy summers day, I'll be doing something else and playing tomorrow!
For reference, my winter balls are yellow pinnacle rush. They're good enough.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Interesting with us the misses are the other way round. Its the growth of vegetation that makes shots into the rough difficult to find. Apart from late Autumn when the leaves can make it difficult its usually much easier to find a ball in winter than summer. Our fairway shots are off mats anyway.
We don’t have leaves to worry about.

In the summer we have long fescue rough that makes finding balls difficult, though not impossible. But in the winter much of the land the course sits on turns to marshland. The course is at sea level and is designed that way with raised tees fairways and greens.

Also, we play on dark fenland soil which is filthy in winter.

Swango1980

Visit site
Agreed. Plus it's more about buying the balls in the first place. Not going to buy a new box of good golf balls once we arrive in winter. Whereas on that dodgy summer's day you already have them.
Yeah. Plus, what joy do you get hitting a Pro V (probably over £4 a ball) in December / January, and watch it as it either lands and embeds itself 3 inches under ground, or lands and bounces 80 degrees left or right off the frosty ground :)

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I had to vote Foundlings/Any as my most truthful answer.
That puts me in the lowest category of golfer here.
My stock of boxed balls are

6 ProV1 from two nearest the pins.
3 Callaway warbirds from a nearest the pin. (got a bottle of wine with that as well, but drank that with Mrs V when I got home that evening)
12 Callaway Chromesofts from 1st place in a Captains awayday AmAm.
3 Srixon softfeels from a dozen proshop purchase 18 months ago.
6 remaining Taylormade RBZ speed from 2 doz for £24 Sportsdirect 2 years ago.

I have about 10 playable foundlings that include ProVs, Supersofts, Softfeels, AD333s etc.

It will likely be two years until I buy a golf ball.
Comp rounds next year will be mainly the Chromesofts and Softfeels - occasionally ProV when conditions are dry, windless and greens are still soft.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I had to vote Foundlings/Any as my most truthful answer.
That puts me in the lowest category of golfer here.
My stock of boxed balls are

6 ProV1 from two nearest the pins.
3 Callaway warbirds from a nearest the pin. (got a bottle of wine with that as well, but drank that with Mrs V when I got home that evening)
12 Callaway Chromesofts from 1st place in a Captains awayday AmAm.
3 Srixon softfeels from a dozen proshop purchase 18 months ago.
6 remaining Taylormade RBZ speed from 2 doz for £24 Sportsdirect 2 years ago.

I have about 10 playable foundlings that include ProVs, Supersofts, Softfeels, AD333s etc.

It will likely be two years until I buy a golf ball.
Comp rounds next year will be mainly the Chromesofts and Softfeels - occasionally ProV when conditions are dry, windless and greens are still soft.
I have over 50 decent pro-vs or equivalent languishing in the bottom of my locker waiting for sunnier climes.
Ironically, the only balls I buy are cheapo yellow ones for winter.
I can't bring myself to lose pro-vs in the mud and leaves of winter, even though I didn't pay for them!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For me what I use in summer and winter is more about the speed of the greens rather than course condition

I will also use some of the premium balls I have found and like during the winter rather than in winter.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah. Plus, what joy do you get hitting a Pro V (probably over £4 a ball) in December / January, and watch it as it either lands and embeds itself 3 inches under ground, or lands and bounces 80 degrees left or right off the frosty ground :)
I get the joy of

If I lose the ball at least I did not pay for it!!

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
I use premium balls in the summer, unless it's a provisional - then I'll use a ball I've found or an older ball.

In the winter, I use all the ones I've found and/or my stock of Kirkland's.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
AD333 … no stand out negatives to any of the premium balls. They putt or roll truer than some of the more expensive stuff as well - don’t ask me ask the ball manufacturers why some balls always roll in in and theirs don’t!
The spin skin is a useful addition.
I do try the odd premium ball now and then but to be honest the AD333 is really that good.
There does come a time of year when I chase spin but the reality is the greens are rubbish and have not been constructed properly so are compacted… nothing will stop on them and it’s just ping pong with golf clubs.

D

Deleted member 23270

My club has a state of the art fitting studio. I had a lesson in there on Monday and despite hitting it well the pro suggested that I need more spin. I was using a TP5x so we tried switching to a ProV1x and hey presto an extra 700 rpm with a 7 iron. Looks like I might need to look at my choice of ball :unsure:

sjw

Visit site
I am yet to be convinced that anyone over a 10 handicap needs to use any sort of "premium" ball (10 being chosen arbitrarily, maybe even lower than that)

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I am yet to be convinced that anyone over a 10 handicap needs to use any sort of "premium" ball (10 being chosen arbitrarily, maybe even lower than that)
a bit handicap snobberish there 🙂. Any player can benefit from using the same ball all the time and as a mid handicapper who extensively tested balls over time I found the AVX was great at reducing my slice that I used to play with.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
AD333 … no stand out negatives to any of the premium balls. They putt or roll truer than some of the more expensive stuff as well - don’t ask me ask the ball manufacturers why some balls always roll in in and theirs don’t!
The spin skin is a useful addition.
I do try the odd premium ball now and then but to be honest the AD333 is really that good.
There does come a time of year when I chase spin but the reality is the greens are rubbish and have not been constructed properly so are compacted… nothing will stop on them and it’s just ping pong with golf clubs.
AD333 £40 for 24 at Sports Direct.
At £20 a dozen, got to be one of the best value balls around.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I bought several dozen Honma TW -X balls some while back. They were a premium ball that felt like a TP5 to me but we're being discontinued and were being knocked out for about £20 per dozen. I've just about lost them all now and, sadly, can't get them anymore

I like to play the same ball for the season and am struggling as to which to move to